Need some guidance on installing server on desktop PC

Kronky

Question

Hi everyone,

First of all I want to say that I have watched a bunch of tutorials and read a few threads about how to install a Dayz and in particular a Dayz Epoch mod server.

I have one big question about what I have seen so far. Pretty much in every tutorial it was said to copy Arma2 and Arma2 OA all together merged in a new folder called the Server folder, for example.

What i don not understand is why do we have to do that, it seems to me that Arma 2 is totally different from Arma2 OA, many things are changed between the two versions.

Now, let's assume that Arma2 is not needed, but instead Arma2 OA is the one needed. Next, is to copy the whole client game Arma2OA in the server folder.

My next question is, is there anything that can be removed from this folder?

I mean are there any files or folders that the actual server will not need from the arma2OA game that was copied in the server folder ? I believe there must be some. I just don't know which ones.

Ok, now for my server I made a list with things that I want the server to have in order to be at a pleasant level of playability once is done.

So after some good research and playing the game I understand that i want this:

-Random AI

-Mission AI

-Lift option for helis and tow for cars

-Admin Tools

-Anti hack

-Self blood bag

-Take clothes off the dead bodies

This about what I want will be worked on later. After I will be successful in making and running the Epoch server as simple as possible then I will concentrate in customizing it.

Now for the actual SERVER Files.

I read the instructions which say about installing the base of Dayz_Epoch client files, then the Dayz_epoch server files.

On this website I found two links that are important in my opinion. I found a tab that says Source and then lower on the page another one that says Install/Download

Which one should be used and what is the difference between the two github links. It looks like both projects get updated  pretty often which makes me think that both are used somehow in the server but I just dont know how.

What I want to achieve here is to get a little more understanding how and which version of files is good for the server and why. Once I get all that information I want to look more into customizing the server and when every thing is done the way that I want and fully functional, I am planning on writing a more detailed walk through on how to set up the server. I feel that we are missing important installation guides for this server. And mostly is that this will not be a hosted server, but rather a server running on a personal computer. I want to make sure that the walk through will be really detailedl and potentially will come with pictures at important steps.

I hope that I can get some answer for the beginning.

Thank you and  I want to say that I love the challenges that such a project brings.

I will add to this post more in time as things will change.

9 answers to this question

Arma 2 is still the foundation for which Arma 2 OA was built upon.

the things you wont need are the instances for the maps you will not be using and the @(fill in the blank) mods you wont need, all i have is @epoch and @epoch server. 

i have DZAI, DZMS for my ai and some missions and the for straight missions, this one does not have ai at the crates, also ignore the death messages link instead use page-7#entry53706 for the radio thing

You should have the client files installed if you have through DayZCommander or PlaywithSix as for the server files i would just download it from Epochmod.com or here is a direct link to Server Files 1.0.4.2a

let me know if you need help

Thanks Dactyl,

I did a test today with my server and I was able to install it and start it and even played on it for a short while.

I have to say that I did not have to copy Arma2 and Arma2 OA in my server folder, as a matter of fact I copied only the server files from the website here and then added

the client @dayz_epoch plus only a few folders copied from Arma2 OA. To be more specific I copied only 3 folders into my server folder: Addons, Common and Extensions.

With just that I was able to start the server with no problems and play on it.

Next I installed the Epoch Admin Tools found here and so far so good.

So as I thought, apparently there is no need for the whole Arma2 OA game to be copied.

I will update as I will continue working on it.

Thanks Dactyl,

I did a test today with my server and I was able to install it and start it and even played on it for a short while.

I have to say that I did not have to copy Arma2 and Arma2 OA in my server folder, as a matter of fact I copied only the server files from the website here and then added

the client @dayz_epoch plus only a few folders copied from Arma2 OA. To be more specific I copied only 3 folders into my server folder: Addons, Common and Extensions.

With just that I was able to start the server with no problems and play on it.

Next I installed the Epoch Admin Tools found here and so far so good.

So as I thought, apparently there is no need for the whole Arma2 OA game to be copied.

I will update as I will continue working on it.

no you do not need the entirety of the arma 2 oa, i did not know that you didnt need the arma 2 file strange. anyone know why?

i dont see the epoch tools 

I could have payed for infistar but my server is going to be for testing and fooling around so these tools will work just fine.

as a matter of fact it has a nice menu for getting vehicles.

there is still work on the god mode as i noticed that you can die from certain situations like falling with a cessna plane.

Is Glory of War your server ?