Moved our Epoch Server

PhatBastard

Question

So, we recently moved a DayZ Epoch Chernarus server from a DayZ.st server to a dedicated box. On paper, the dedicated box is much more powerful, an extra 1.5GHz albeit on fewer cores. It is also my understanding that 2GB of RAM (what we have) is plenty for at least vanilla DayZ.

Anyway, the server is running, the errors we were getting being BEye Filters or certain scripts not functioning correctly are now fixed. Traders are functioning perfectly all of the time. However, we are seeing worse performance in game (server is running at 2fps, using just over 1GB of RAM) I have tried using different startup parameters to no noticeable effect.

Anyway, I came here in the hope that you can point me in a vague direction as to where I should look to improve on this. Would cleaning out the database of all of the other instances of Epoch help for instance?

10 answers to this question

The spec for a dayz server is

CPU: Modern Quad Core @ 2.0Ghz+ (CPU is the main bottleneck for an ArmA server, so the more powerful the better)
RAM: 8GB (RAM isn't a big issue in an ArmA server, so don't be overly concerned with having copious amounts)
Storage: 50GB+ HDD - 500 IOPS minimum. SSD or 15k RPM SAS is recommended.
Network: 100Mbps+ dedicated. Bandwidth cap must be at least 2TB or more.
Slots: All servers must be running at 40+ slots, or 30+ in areas where bandwidth is expensive and where permitted. (Usually reserved for developing countries or remote regions)
Operating System: Windows 2003, 2008, 2008 R2

Is your dedicated box matching or better then this?

CPU is a Dual Core Xeon @ 3.5GHz - Given how ARMA handles multiple cores, this should be better than the quad core

2GB of RAM (is plenty for the server usage never goes above 1200MB)

15k RPM SAS Drive

Gbit net

Running a 50 slot server

Specs shouldnt be an issue.

There is no desync at all in game, and the epoch traders are working fine (on the DayZ ST server they took miniutes to load the sell menu, if they managed to load the sell menu) The only issue is the frames. Also not my PC, this thing usually gets 80-100 frames.

I am just at a loss as to why we are getting the performance we are getting, I have no idea as to why it is happening - It shouldnt be. Using Task Manager for a basic resource usage display, we hover at around 70% CPU and total system RAM usage is around 1.5GB RAM

Nope, Scripts we have added in

-Self BB

-BTK Cargo

-R3K stuff

-Carepackages

-Enhances Study Body

-Remove Clothing

-Knockout Script

-Sleeping at tents to heal

-JSRS .bi2key

-Some map additions + trade city safe zones

No sarge AI or any other AI.

We didn't have the BTK cargo on the old server so when the server population drops down later tonight we will pop a new mission file up with that disabled. We won't be able to test untill the pop picks up again tomorrow.

EDIT: Screeny of tskmgr - http://imgur.com/kQfS355

Have you looked at this:

cpuCount

-cpuCount= is the way to limit number of CPUs/cores available. The best way to simulate dual core on quad core is to use -cpuCount=2 when you run the game and then change the affinity to 2 cores to make sure additional cores can never be used when some over-scheduling happens. It might be also possible to set the affinity in the OS before you launch the process, that would work as well.

Source: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Startup_Parameters

I did all of the startup parameters. exThreads=1

maxmem=2047

As an update, we have disabled the carepackage crap, gave us a fair amount of extra frames, shall see if it persists all the way untill before the restart. I came here because none of the usual fixes didn't seem to work :D

Will give you an update tomorrow after we hopefully get a full load of players

Removing the carepackage dropping did improve things, but not enough. Im guessing it is something to do with the AI computing stopping the rest of the server from doing what it needs to do - had a similar problem when trying to host a CTI listen server on my PC, people connecting to me were fine, but my frames were aweful.

Going to take out another script that we added after the move on next restart and see if that helps.

So, we recently moved a DayZ Epoch Chernarus server from a DayZ.st server to a dedicated box. On paper, the dedicated box is much more powerful, an extra 1.5GHz albeit on fewer cores. It is also my understanding that 2GB of RAM (what we have) is plenty for at least vanilla DayZ.

Anyway, the server is running, the errors we were getting being BEye Filters or certain scripts not functioning correctly are now fixed. Traders are functioning perfectly all of the time. However, we are seeing worse performance in game (server is running at 2fps, using just over 1GB of RAM) I have tried using different startup parameters to no noticeable effect.

Anyway, I came here in the hope that you can point me in a vague direction as to where I should look to improve on this. Would cleaning out the database of all of the other instances of Epoch help for instance?

hi there i also recently moved to a dedicated box. but i dont know how to install mine on there ..?? maybe u can help me with that?

would be awesome?

skype sovoki.

ps. i can donate ur something on paypal.