Base Building Recommendations?

Flybynight

The only time I had success building a base....about 6 months ago....was pretty much due to an admin helping me.  Can you share some general ideas on the best way to get one up and running in a realistic way?  I'm not sure how you possibly store enough mats to get a good start, knowing they will be unsafe until the base is fully enclosed.  Yet it seems to take so many mats that you could never get it done.

Any thoughts?

To get started you only need about 300 lumber packs (or less if you are content with 2x2 base lol) which is 30 minutes of cutting trees at most and if you do it alone. Since you can craft workbenches from wood, you can store your loot there temporarily however it is always good idea to build a secure, at least 1x1 room as your temporary storage with locked doors . Basebuilding itself, especially if you build from scratch on flat ground and know where you wanna build is easy, just people hate cutting trees and getting wood first. Seen so many bases where it was obvious a person started everything building from cinder and the you get uneven walls, floors, base look like a slum.

So for a start, find materials for a jammer and then hatchet or a chainsaw. That's it, you do not need anything else for now just cut trees. Of course when you done and want to make locked doors you will need electronic components, but those come from drones who spawn everytime (unless server has them disabled) or in regular epoch loot (trashpiles, shipping containers).

You do not need foundations, wooden floor snaps to the ground almost everytime. Also using foundations and not covering them up make it possible to bug abuses. Never put your shelfs, workbenches or even safes close to outer wall unless it is twice human height.

Only when you finish base and have basic idea, it is wise to upgrade it to cinder.

2 hours ago, Flybynight said:

The only time I had success building a base....about 6 months ago....was pretty much due to an admin helping me.  Can you share some general ideas on the best way to get one up and running in a realistic way?  I'm not sure how you possibly store enough mats to get a good start, knowing they will be unsafe until the base is fully enclosed.  Yet it seems to take so many mats that you could never get it done.

Any thoughts?

If the server allows you to use map buildings to build in and around, this can often be a quick way to start a base. It will require materials for a jammer and some doors with locks initially; (caveat: map structures are easily blown up with explosives found in Arma3 so beware).

This will  allow you a place to stockpile and store further materials with some relative safety and  security.

If you wish to stay in that initial place you must endeavour to reinforce that building with epoch buildables to ensure that safety and security of your base; as epoch buildables are much more resilient to explosive devices and in some servers will be indestructible.

Lock boxes and now safes offer the best secure storage,but are rare loot spawns, the trader missions often gave lock boxes as a reward, or again the server may add them to the traders inventory.

Do not rely on vehicles for long term storage of much needed supplies.

These are some of the basic principles i follow when building and i often play alone. Hope some of this helps I am sure there will be other replies offering even better advice.

1 hour ago, KPABATOK said:

To get started you only need about 300 lumber packs (or less if you are content with 2x2 base lol) which is 30 minutes of cutting trees at most and if you do it alone. Since you can craft workbenches from wood, you can store your loot there temporarily however it is always good idea to build a secure, at least 1x1 room as your temporary storage with locked doors . Basebuilding itself, especially if you build from scratch on flat ground and know where you wanna build is easy, just people hate cutting trees and getting wood first. Seen so many bases where it was obvious a person started everything building from cinder and the you get uneven walls, floors, base look like a slum.

So for a start, find materials for a jammer and then hatchet or a chainsaw. That's it, you do not need anything else for now just cut trees. Of course when you done and want to make locked doors you will need electronic components, but those come from drones who spawn everytime (unless server has them disabled) or in regular epoch loot (trashpiles, shipping containers).

You do not need foundations, wooden floor snaps to the ground almost everytime. Also using foundations and not covering them up make it possible to bug abuses. Never put your shelfs, workbenches or even safes close to outer wall unless it is twice human height.

Only when you finish base and have basic idea, it is wise to upgrade it to cinder.

Thanks very much guys.  Now to build I have to have jammer first, and of course would want to secure that...right?  So start small with secure jammer in an area where I can go bigger?  Is that right?

Unless server is high population, you do not need even secure a jammer temporary. Just put it on a ground and build a base close to it. You can always pick it up by removing and placing inside, won't lose any materials. Jammer is vulnerable only to satchells, with guns it is much harder to destroy it. Again, unless server is high pop and people these days run around with lynx and 20 APDS mags (2 apds mags remove around 2 percent health from jammer, somewhat tested it on my own jammer but of course would be nice if that white circle showed percentage too).. You only need to secure storage, double walls and double doors are better.

47 minutes ago, Flybynight said:

Thanks very much guys.  Now to build I have to have jammer first, and of course would want to secure that...right?  So start small with secure jammer in an area where I can go bigger?  Is that right?

Yes this is pretty much what i would do. I also only build what i need, i.e. if i am alone, enough for just me and a car and if i am lucky a heli. I try to pick a place though that can be expanded on if i get to play with others, (often find someone of like mind to share with).

Best of luck building!