AI missions/script comparison

Tobias Solem

There are many different AI-missions and scripts here, and trying to wade through them all to get a comparison can be kind of tough. That's what this thread is for, give your impression and your opinions on one versus the other (strength vs. weaknesses). I will be using this template for my comparisons, feel free to use it or your own:

Name of script:  

Creator: 

HC support: 

Type of script:

Configurability:

In development: 

Bugs:

Your opinion: 

Compared to similar mods:

Name of script:  VEMF (Vampire's Epoch Mission Framework)

Creator: Vampire

HC support: No

Type of script: Multiple town invasion(s) with box reward

Configurability: Not a lot.

In development: No, development has ceased.

Bugs: Sometimes loot crates spawn on top of roofs, other than that, none to speak of.

Your opinion:  It's a good town-invasion script, but the AI don't take cover so players soon will easily farm these missions. AI The loot crate can spawn on roofs sometimes.

Compared to similar mods: There aren't really any other missions exactly like VEMF, A3EAI has roaming town AI, but does not come with loot crates, A3EAI is more advanced and the AI uses teamwork much better, doesn't stand in the open as much, etc. My personal opinion is that other AI-scripts have come past it by now.

Name of script:  SEM (Simple Epoch Missions)

Creator: Kiloswiss

Type of script: Mission system divided into two categories: Static and Dynamic (think crashes and convoys)

Configurability: Easy to configure, not that many settings

In development: Development has halted indefinitely

Bugs: Some missions do not finish (AI wander off), mission descriptions can be a bit wonky (blablablablabla).

Your opinion: This is your classic mission system, aside for some 

Compared to similar mods: FuMS has SEM integrated into it, but FuMS runs on HC, which is an improvement in my opinion

Name of script: A3EAI (Arma 3 Epoch AI)

Creator: Face

HC support: Yes, but you can run it on local server without HC also.

Type of script: Roaming infantry, roaming vehicles, town AI, Static AI 

Configurability: Lots and lots of options for you to configure and customize, from loot to skill levels, etc. - in some way A3EAI can emulate players, in some ways it's the best PvE-AI for an empty server. Face designed it to be somewhat of a single player experience. 

In development: Yes. Face is expanding on it in his spare time.

Bugs: None to speak of. It is a very solid script.

Your opinion: We run a rather slow server (population wise) and this makes the server feel more alive. Sometimes players mistake the AI for other players. 

Compared to similar mods: Somewhat similar to a part of VEMF, but much better. 

Name of script: FuMS (Fulcrum Mission System)

Creator: horbin

HC support: Yes

Type of script: Full mission system with tons and tons of different type of missions, town invasions, etc. 

Configurability: Like A3EAI this comes with a TON of configurable settings.

In development: Yes, horbin updates it every once in awhile. 

Bugs: Plenty, missions won't end (SEM), start, and it's a bit wonky, configuring each "theme" can be hairy, there are lots of things you can mess up. 

Your opinion: Generally this is THE most powerful mission system out there currently given that it integrates several other mission systems.

Compared to similar mods: SEM, VEMF, better than both.

My Reviews

Name of script:  VEMF (Vampire's Epoch Mission Framework)
Creator: Vampire
Type of script: Multiple town invasion(s) with box reward
Configurability: Not a lot.
In development: No, development has ceased.
Bugs: Sometimes loot crates spawn on top of roofs, other than that, none to speak of.
Your opinion:  Used these for a while when Epoch first was released.  They work well, but overall the mission it provides is very one dimensional.  The AI themselves are great, but as Tobias mentioned, the loot crate spawning was wonky at best.  
Compared to similar mods: There are other AI packs that do things similar to this and do it way better.  Love Vampire's work though and I'd love to see more from him!

Name of script:  SEM (Simple Epoch Missions)
Creator: Kiloswiss
Type of script: Mission system divided into two categories: Static and Dynamic (think crashes and convoys)
Configurability: Easy to configure, not that many settings
In development: Development has halted indefinitely
Bugs: Some missions do not finish (AI wander off), mission descriptions can be a bit wonky (blablablablabla).
Your opinion: This is your classic mission system, aside for some  (totally agree with Tobias)
Compared to similar mods: FuMS has SEM integrated into it, but FuMS runs on HC, which is an improvement in my opinion

Name of script: A3EAI (Arma 3 Epoch AI)
Creator: Face
HC support: Yes, but you can run it on local server without HC also.
Type of script: Roaming infantry, roaming vehicles, town AI, Static AI 
Configurability: Lots and lots of options for you to configure and customize, from loot to skill levels, etc. - in some way A3EAI can emulate players, in some ways it's the best PvE-AI for an empty server. Face designed it to be somewhat of a single player experience. 
In development: Yes. Face is expanding on it in his spare time.
Bugs: None to speak of. It is a very solid script.
Your opinion: For what I call "General-Use" AI, A3EAI is absolutely perfect.  It offers tons of configuration options, loot options, difficulty options, patrol types....it's basically infinitely customizable.  Instead of loot crates as a reward for killing the AI you get Crypto dropped on the ground for each unit you kill.  There is no "mission" system per se, but this fills in the gaps that other packs like SEM or FuMS leave behind.  Now that it has HC support you can run TONS of these units on the server and it brings almost 0 FPS drop.  I had nearly 90 units spawned in with this for several custom map areas and they ran like butter on a hot roof.  
Compared to similar mods: Somewhat similar to a part of VEMF, but much better. 

Name of script: FuMS (Fulcrum Mission System)
Creator: horbin
HC support: Yes
Type of script: Full mission system with tons and tons of different type of missions, town invasions, etc. 
Configurability: Like A3EAI this comes with a TON of configurable settings.
In development: Yes, horbin updates it every once in awhile. 
Bugs:There are a few bugs.  Configuring each "theme" can be hairy, there are lots of things you can mess up, which is usually the cause of things 'not working right'.  
Your opinion: Generally this is THE most powerful mission system out there currently given that it integrates several other mission systems.  But this ain't yo momma's AI pack!  If you use this, you better have a solid understanding of SQF editing, including arrays, loot types, and position editing.  Otherwise, you WILL get lost and confused.  Using this pack is not for amateurs if you want to get the most out of it.  If you leave the options set to defaults then the AI will behave oddly, and sometimes missions may not complete.  It's up to YOU to get it up to 100%.  That may sound crappy, but it's designed as an open framework so that it can be pretty much all things to all people.  There are tons of themes available, including SEM, Static patrols, Heli crashes, Town invasions, and fucking Raptors!  Yes, Raptors!  lol!  99% of the setup required to get this up to par is in the Themes folder.  The good news with that is that you can copy the Themes folder between updates, so any changes you make on version 1.5g's themes will translate directly into future versions without having to do all your edits again every time there is a new release.  Just copy your old Themes folder into the new server PBO and you're all set.  I've spent a good bit of time over the past 3 months getting this going exactly like I want it to, and I'm nearly there, so that should give you some idea of what you're looking at in terms of effort.  But believe me when I say that it's well worth it.  
Compared to similar mods: SEM, VEMF, better than both by leaps and bounds.