No Action to Open Safe?

kylemcqueen75

Question

Hey everyone, i am having an issue with the Safes. We have been play testing our server and I bought a safe and placed it, combo came up but when I look at the safe no option to open it shows. I tried to delete and respawn a new one but same outcome. I tried doing some research but can't find a hint of information about where I could see whats happening. I don't know how the safe adds this action so I cant try and debug it. Any hints on what might be wrong?

Only things I think may be wrong is I have a custom selfActions sqf but other than that I don't see why it should not work. I also have a line of code added to the snap_build_publish sqf in order to make bases indestructible;

My SelfActions SQF

http://pastebin.com/XZy0qehM

_tmpbuilt addEventHandler ["HandleDamage", {false}];
	_tmpbuilt enableSimulation false;

18 answers to this question

Found this in the SelfActions, don't know how I kept missing it. Still not working tho?

//Allow owner to unlock vault

if((_typeOfCursorTarget in DZE_LockableStorage) && _characterID != "0" && (player distance _cursorTarget < 3)) then {
if (s_player_unlockvault < 0) then {
if(_typeOfCursorTarget in DZE_LockedStorage) then {
if(_characterID == dayz_combination || _ownerID == _playerUID) then {
_combi = player addAction [format[localize "STR_EPOCH_ACTIONS_OPEN",_text], "\z\addons\dayz_code\actions\vault_unlock.sqf",_cursorTarget, 0, false, true, "",""];
s_player_combi set [count s_player_combi,_combi];
} else {
_combi = player addAction [format[localize "STR_EPOCH_ACTIONS_UNLOCK",_text], "\z\addons\dayz_code\actions\vault_combination_1.sqf",_cursorTarget, 0, false, true, "",""];
};
s_player_unlockvault = 1;
} else {
if(_characterID != dayz_combination && _ownerID != _playerUID) then {
_combi = player addAction [localize "STR_EPOCH_ACTIONS_RECOMBO", "\z\addons\dayz_code\actions\vault_combination_1.sqf",_cursorTarget, 0, false, true, "",""];
s_player_unlockvault = 1;
};
};
};
} else {
{player removeAction _x} count s_player_combi;s_player_combi = [];
s_player_unlockvault = -1;
};

//Allow owner to pack vault

Did not work, can't figure out why when I unlock the safe I get the option to lock it and pack it, but the action to unlock it doesnt work......wtf

have you modified your player_unlockvault.sqf at all?

what mods do you have installed? It might be the order in which you're calling fn_selfactions.sqf in your compiles.sqf

I am having a problem with this as well.  I can place a safe but I don't get the code and there is not option to unlock it.  I am also not sure if this is part of it or a separate issue.  I get the option to upgrade walls but no option to remove them.

I have no Plot pole building

P4L and door manage 3.0 installed.  There are some others like self BB, suicide, snap pro build. 

I also have the fn_self_actions in my   MPMissions\DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus\custom folder.

I have uploaded my fn self action, description and inti files here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByEsytkmkzGnN1ljeW93WC1jdDA&usp=sharing if someone could please look at them and see if they can see what's wrong.

This line            s_player_unlockvault = -1;

And this one     player removeAction s_player_downgrade_build;
                         s_player_downgrade_build = -1;

In self action may not have a - in front of the 1.  However that has been fixed I was just trying something that did not work.  I change it back after I downloaded it.

With A Plot for Life the owner does not need to enter the safe code. You should just be able to open it. You will just get the open option and not unlock. You will get the unlock option for vaults you do not own.

It is the _ownerID == _playerUID that does it.

If you take that out then you will get the unlock option but having owner auto unlock is quite a nice feature in Epoch that never got fully implemented until I stored the ownership details somewhere else in the game object.

I went and messed with your file. Check where your complies sqf is loading your selfActions. I hate the way Plot for Life forces anyone who has any mods already installed to redirect everything. Also, I always mess with the Plot for Life install even if its the first mod I add, I really hate the way its set up by default. Its built to confuse the "f" out of anyone remotely new. Anyway, double check where your selfActions are being loaded and replace it with the file I link.

Let me know if it works for you man.
-snip-

Opinions vary

Confusing to people new to scripting......

1. Dump the client files in the mpmissions folder for your map.  
  2. Put the server files in the server root directory you create called 'custom'.  
  3. Amend a few lines in the missions init.sqf file as per the install instructions file and away you go.  

Not sure how that is built to confuse.  

..and replace it with the file I link.

Why ?.  I really don't fancy trawling though 1000 lines of code to work out what you have done and don't particularly feel inclined to download it and run it through one of the diff tools, especially considering the tone of your post.  

You complain that A Plot for Life is difficult to deal with the changes and then provide a 'replacement file' with no details about the changes made rather than (a). Reporting the issue on the A Plot for Life thread and providing details of what you think the error may be and a possible solution or (b). Raising an issue on the Git for A Plot for Life with details.

Oh, hang on.  Is this a post about not providing a step by step guide of all the code changes to each of the 41 files provided with the mod (times 2 as there are currently 2 versions available which have quite a large difference in structure) and about the fact that I suggest people use diffmerge and provide links to two very good guides to help them in my threads first post ?.  

If it is then why don't you be the first and write the guide.  I will happily link to it.  

Kyle I tried your file.  It did not work. 

RimBlock I removed the _ownerID == _playerUID from the \MPMissions\DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus\custom\A_Plot_for_Life\Compile\fn_selfActions.sqf.  I now get the unlock option.  I put the code in and it seems to take it.  However I can't get into the safe.  It wont show the safes gear.  Alot of times once I click unlock and enter my code, I only get the open locked safe option and when I click on it, it goes away without showing the gear or keypad. 

Any advice on this.  Any how thanks both of you for the help so far.  Getting the unlock option is a step in the right direction.

Opinions vary

Confusing to people new to scripting......

1. Dump the client files in the mpmissions folder for your map.  
  2. Put the server files in the server root directory you create called 'custom'.  
  3. Amend a few lines in the missions init.sqf file as per the install instructions file and away you go.  

Not sure how that is built to confuse.  

Why ?.  I really don't fancy trawling though 1000 lines of code to work out what you have done and don't particularly feel inclined to download it and run it through one of the diff tools, especially considering the tone of your post.  

You complain that A Plot for Life is difficult to deal with the changes and then provide a 'replacement file' with no details about the changes made rather than (a). Reporting the issue on the A Plot for Life thread and providing details of what you think the error may be and a possible solution or ( B). Raising an issue on the Git for A Plot for Life with details.

Oh, hang on.  Is this a post about not providing a step by step guide of all the code changes to each of the 41 files provided with the mod (times 2 as there are currently 2 versions available which have quite a large difference in structure) and about the fact that I suggest people use diffmerge and provide links to two very good guides to help them in my threads first post ?.  

If it is then why don't you be the first and write the guide.  I will happily link to it.  

You are taking what I said to heart for some reason. Why? I was going to leave a step by step on what I did to help him but I was unsure my fix would work for him. Just because my experience with Plot for Life hasn't been good and I share it, gives you no right to make it seem like anything other than me just tring to be helpful is going on. All I want to accomplish is helping this guy with the same exact issue I had not 2 days ago. Even if you don't want to admit it, the mod is hard to break down and work out for first time users. Unless they knew about the mod before hand, they have to install Plot for Life first or be left with issues like this if certain things are not "Diffmerged" correctly. Now, anyone with a small amount of experience (like me only been here for a month ;P) will have an eaiser time understanding what needs to be changed. This wasn't a post bashing plot for life, I use the damn mod because its a great one, I was relating to his issue. I would hate to be the dev of any mod and have to worry about taking anything negative said about my mod to heart.

About the guide tho,

If I was 100% sure this worked for everyone, i would write one. To be honest, I do not claim to have "super skills" at scripting or anything related, I am smart enough to try to debug issues.Nothing more.

Kyle I tried your file.  It did not work. 

RimBlock I removed the _ownerID == _playerUID from the \MPMissions\DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus\custom\A_Plot_for_Life\Compile\fn_selfActions.sqf.  I now get the unlock option.  I put the code in and it seems to take it.  However I can't get into the safe.  It wont show the safes gear.  Alot of times once I click unlock and enter my code, I only get the open locked safe option and when I click on it, it goes away without showing the gear or keypad. 

Any advice on this.  Any how thanks both of you for the help so far.  Getting the unlock option is a step in the right direction.

I will tell you removing that line of code is not what I did to fix the problem. I will look back at exactly what i did and get back to you.

So, I am going to post a new sqf. Make sure it replaces the A Plot for Life\fn_selfActions.sqf
All I did was left certain lines of code unchanged from the DayZ version of serlActions.sqf
I will explain what ones if it works :)

I would just ctrl+a and override everything already in your fn_selfActions. (Keeping a backup of course)
-snip-

This might break packing vault, I am unsure tho and cannot test this SQF for you D: If it does I believe making a quick change will fix it. (Although it might work as well :P)

You are taking what I said to heart for some reason. Why? I was going to leave a step by step on what I did to help him but I was unsure my fix would work for him. Just because my experience with Plot for Life hasn't been good and I share it, gives you no right to make it seem like anything other than me just tring to be helpful is going on. All I want to accomplish is helping this guy with the same exact issue I had not 2 days ago. Even if you don't want to admit it, the mod is hard to break down and work out for first time users. Unless they knew about the mod before hand, they have to install Plot for Life first or be left with issues like this if certain things are not "Diffmerged" correctly. Now, anyone with a small amount of experience (like me only been here for a month ;P) will have an eaiser time understanding what needs to be changed. This wasn't a post bashing plot for life, I use the damn mod because its a great one, I was relating to his issue. I would hate to be the dev of any mod and have to worry about taking anything negative said about my mod to heart.

I took it that you were responding to me as mine was the last post and you did not make a note that you were responding to anyone else (with a quote or @[username] type reference.

Bearing that in mind, re-read your post in that context and see how it looks.  Possibily mixed up communication on both sides :) .

Ok, so back to your post.

In that post you made the following statements.

• I hate the way Plot for Life forces anyone who has any mods already installed to redirect everything.
  • Also, I always mess with the Plot for Life install even if its the first mod I add, I really hate the way its set up by default.
  • Its built to confuse the "f" out of anyone remotely new.

You were venting your frustrations which is fine but I found the information provided to be inaccurate.

The 1st is incorrect.  You do not have to redirect everything if you don't want to, you just merge the files.  Information on how to do that is provided in the links on the first post of the thread for the mod.  The mod is designed to be installed on a new clean Epoch vanilla server due to its scope of changes required.  Amending the files to add other mods will generally be easier but it is up to each server owner which way they would like to go. 

The 2nd is moaning without any constructive suggestions.  If you have any good ideas then why not post over in the A Plot for Life thread were they can be discussed with other users and myself.  That may promote positive change whilst moaning about it here will not.

The 3rd is just plain wrong.  It is built as a drop in replacement with as little as possible editing for a server owner (5 edits to existing files) on an Epoch vanilla install.  As such it was build with new users in mind.

The fact that the majority of your post was complaints about A Plot for Life does not really match with your statement that you were not bashing the mod.  I have no issues with you bashing it with accurate information.  The mod is by no means perfect... it is built on the Epoch building system code ;) .

Statement: Just because my experience with Plot for Life hasn't been good and I share it, gives you no right to make it seem like anything other than me just tring to be helpful is going on.

What I have issue with in that statement is the "anything other than".  You were venting and helping. Nothing wrong with that but lets call it what it is.

Statement: Even if you don't want to admit it, the mod is hard to break down and work out for first time users.

Fully agree as it is a more advanced mod.  It requires changes in 41 (or so) files.  The changes are actually pretty minor for most of the files and will be even less so if Plot Management and Vector Build release new instructions for integrating with A Plot for Life v2.5 which already has Snap Build Pro and Precice Building already integrated.  Diffmerge is a very valuable tool to learn for a server owner.  Having an understanding of the scripts that are installed on your server is also a good thing and helps with being able to troubleshoot later.  Copy pasting does not help to build that skillset as quickly in my view.

Some people want a step by step guide.  You have done the install, why not write a guide for others ?.   I will happily link it and give you credit as long as you are willing to make corrections (if needed) and maintain it.

As for your fix, look at the context from a different point of view. 

• Someone has reported that there is a problem with a setup using a number of mods including one you have written. 
  • You like to make sure that yours is not at fault and so would like to know what the problem may be.
  • Someone posts a solution but will not say what they think was causing the issue or how they propose in fixing it. 
  • With no details you am sitting here wondering if it is a bug with A Plot for Life or a merge issue or an issue with one of the other mods.
  • If a bug is reported on your mod then you would like to get it sorted out ASAP so the community using it can put the fix in ASAP.

Keeping the information to yourself about what may fix the issue does not really help anyone.  This is a pretty friendly place and people are unlikely to criticise you fo making a suggestion.  My suggestions sometimes miss the mark but putting them out there promotes discussion and encourages others to take a look.  Not putting details of what you think was wrong and what you think may fix it does not.

I took it that you were responding to me as mine was the last post and you did not make a note that you were responding to anyone else (with a quote or @[username] type reference.

Bearing that in mind, re-read your post in that context and see how it looks.  Possibily mixed up communication on both sides :) .

Ok, so back to your post.

In that post you made the following statements.

• I hate the way Plot for Life forces anyone who has any mods already installed to redirect everything.
  • Also, I always mess with the Plot for Life install even if its the first mod I add, I really hate the way its set up by default.
  • Its built to confuse the "f" out of anyone remotely new.

You were venting your frustrations which is fine but I found the information provided to be inaccurate.

The 1st is incorrect.  You do not have to redirect everything if you don't want to, you just merge the files.  Information on how to do that is provided in the links on the first post of the thread for the mod.  The mod is designed to be installed on a new clean Epoch vanilla server due to its scope of changes required.  Amending the files to add other mods will generally be easier but it is up to each server owner which way they would like to go. 

The 2nd is moaning without any constructive suggestions.  If you have any good ideas then why not post over in the A Plot for Life thread were they can be discussed with other users and myself.  That may promote positive change whilst moaning about it here will not.

The 3rd is just plain wrong.  It is built as a drop in replacement with as little as possible editing for a server owner (5 edits to existing files) on an Epoch vanilla install.  As such it was build with new users in mind.

The fact that the majority of your post was complaints about A Plot for Life does not really match with your statement that you were not bashing the mod.  I have no issues with you bashing it with accurate information.  The mod is by no means perfect... it is built on the Epoch building system code ;) .

Statement: Just because my experience with Plot for Life hasn't been good and I share it, gives you no right to make it seem like anything other than me just tring to be helpful is going on.

What I have issue with in that statement is the "anything other than".  You were venting and helping. Nothing wrong with that but lets call it what it is.

Statement: Even if you don't want to admit it, the mod is hard to break down and work out for first time users.

Fully agree as it is a more advanced mod.  It requires changes in 41 (or so) files.  The changes are actually pretty minor for most of the files and will be even less so if Plot Management and Vector Build release new instructions for integrating with A Plot for Life v2.5 which already has Snap Build Pro and Precice Building already integrated.  Diffmerge is a very valuable tool to learn for a server owner.  Having an understanding of the scripts that are installed on your server is also a good thing and helps with being able to troubleshoot later.  Copy pasting does not help to build that skillset as quickly in my view.

Some people want a step by step guide.  You have done the install, why not write a guide for others ?.   I will happily link it and give you credit as long as you are willing to make corrections (if needed) and maintain it.

As for your fix, look at the context from a different point of view. 

• Someone has reported that there is a problem with a setup using a number of mods including one you have written. 
  • You like to make sure that yours is not at fault and so would like to know what the problem may be.
  • Someone posts a solution but will not say what they think was causing the issue or how they propose in fixing it. 
  • With no details you am sitting here wondering if it is a bug with A Plot for Life or a merge issue or an issue with one of the other mods.
  • If a bug is reported on your mod then you would like to get it sorted out ASAP so the community using it can put the fix in ASAP.

Keeping the information to yourself about what may fix the issue does not really help anyone.  This is a pretty friendly place and people are unlikely to criticise you fo making a suggestion.  My suggestions sometimes miss the mark but putting them out there promotes discussion and encourages others to take a look.  Not putting details of what you think was wrong and what you think may fix it does not.

Perfectly understandable man. I honestly wasn't tring to bash any mod. I admit I misused the words like hate. I in no way hate anything about the mod, I dislike the file structure and that's all there is to it. I can not make a detailed response right now as in why, but I just prefer things a certain way. When I posted above I was just stating what I thought, it did not pass threw my mind anyone would take offense to it or even look anything past it was just my opinion. The mods great dude and far past anything I could ever do atm. Yes, I have issues with it but I have gripes about every mod that isn't just a simple edit here and there. Apologies for any rudeness that came off.

Kyle that one did not work either.  There was no safe options on the scroll wheel when I was at the safe.

Seems we are having the issue for different reasons. I tested my file a above on my server and it seems to work for me o.o sorry i can not help any further man.

Sure, np.

As mentioned, if you have any good ideas then post in the A Plot for Life thread and we can take a look at them.  Always good to get fresh ideas.  The folder structure is deliberately setup to mimic the file locations from the Epoch pbo file so people can easily find the original files if needed :) .