Saving my server files

Home Sweet Home

Question

Hello everyone, 

I am very new to hosting a server and normally I am quite good with computers (software and hardware).

I just seem to have a hard time when it comes to the files and .dll and DB and what not.

If someone could talk me through how exactly and what exactly to do if I want to save my server in terms of what people have built on it and their gear etc. 

I would like to change the restart timer from 2 to 4hrs, enable side chat (I need to extract some pbo file?? O.O), 

and eventually add AI missions and have a status bar (still need to know how to do that as well :-( )

Since there were already people building bases and looting gear I would like to save that progress before messing around and then having to reinstall the server because I changed a wrong parameter or something. 

EDIT: I only know I am supposed to save my database, mission file and server file, but like I said, kinda lost which files they are and where. 

5 answers to this question

There's many ways to Rome, so you wiill get tons of different answers.

For restarts, look up templates posted in this forum for BEC scheduler.XML

If you want to change settings, a lot can be done by editing the epochconfig.hpp etc

Adding custom stuff in PBO files means you need PBO manager, maybe elitness (google arma elitness) to unscramble mission.sqm files etc.

But, I have 12 years of experience with OFP/Arma, so for me editing stuff is so "natural" that I probably skip a lot of obvious things....

To give you an example of the side chat :

1] Get PBO manager

2] Open mpmissions\yourmap.pbo

3] Copy and paste the description.ext to a folder

4] Open that file in an editor

5] Change : disableChannels[]={0,1,2,6}   to disableChannels[]={0,2,6};

6] Safe the file

7] Cut and paste the file back in the PBO root which you still have opened in your pbo manager

It autosafes; make sure the file is NOT in use while editing. (Don't bother about the signature warnings)

TBH : If you have experience with servers and software but absolutely no experience with what cfg files do, or how programming works, the best you can do is TRY, GOOGLE and TRY MORE until you got it working.

TBH : If you have experience with servers and software but absolutely no experience with what cfg files do, or how programming works, the best you can do is TRY, GOOGLE and TRY MORE until you got it working.

I don't have experience with servers, that's why I don't know. I guess I was naive and didn't think it would be this hard to get into when you have other IT related experience.

I also play the series since OFP came out but that didn't make me a server admin expert lol

Don't feel bad.  I'm a network admin myself and I had a moderate learning curve to climb when I started doing this.  Your tech knowledge gives you a good head start over someone without it, so you can take some comfort in that.  What really helped me was falling back on my basic troubleshooting skills....going through process of elimination and using logical steps to make forward progress.  Just be patient, do lots of research and feel free to seek help here when you hit a wall.  How far you want to dig into it is totally up to you.  Getting to the level of setting up and running a server is pretty easy.  Installing third-party addons is fairly straightforward as long as you can follow clear directions.  Editing scripts and custom making your own....that's a whole different ball game, and I'm just now starting to dive into that part of it.  It's fun, but challenging, and sometimes it makes my ADD scream.  lol  Welcome to the community and good luck!  :)

As darth said, having ICT skills makes things more easy, since you're used to reading manuals, and being logical when troubleshooting; many people here don't and run into heaps of problems since they can't be bothered to actually read manuals and follow step by step.

You'll get there if you persist, so go for it.. Even when it's hard it's still a good training :P

Don't feel bad.  I'm a network admin myself and I had a moderate learning curve to climb when I started doing this.  Your tech knowledge gives you a good head start over someone without it, so you can take some comfort in that.  What really helped me was falling back on my basic troubleshooting skills....going through process of elimination and using logical steps to make forward progress.  Just be patient, do lots of research and feel free to seek help here when you hit a wall.  How far you want to dig into it is totally up to you.  Getting to the level of setting up and running a server is pretty easy.  Installing third-party addons is fairly straightforward as long as you can follow clear directions.  Editing scripts and custom making your own....that's a whole different ball game, and I'm just now starting to dive into that part of it.  It's fun, but challenging, and sometimes it makes my ADD scream.  lol  Welcome to the community and good luck!   :)

As darth said, having ICT skills makes things more easy, since you're used to reading manuals, and being logical when troubleshooting; many people here don't and run into heaps of problems since they can't be bothered to actually read manuals and follow step by step.

You'll get there if you persist, so go for it.. Even when it's hard it's still a good training :P

Sorry for the lack of response, up until now. It's been quite a busy week. Thank you very much for the kind words, guys. 

There is so much to it and quite difficult yet it's nice to have a challenge and learn new things. 

:)