origins assistance.

SASR Ryan

Question

Hello again! Everyone!

I am sure there is a post or something about this already but i cannot find it.

I am trying to put up an epoch Origins server as the title says, I am now getting this error message when trying to join the server:

post-16208-0-20360300-1412560174_thumb.j

post-16208-0-71569900-1412560183_thumb.j

I have tried deleting and re-installing through commander, launcher and torrent. Yet i still come to the same conclusion.

I am missing the following, & don't know how to obtain them:

• ori_flying_fortress
  • ori_pragacopter
  • origins_pack_cars
  • ori_titanic
  • ori_vil_pack
  • vil_ori_autogyr
  • base_buildings

The only things i did to add origins was contact vert to have them place the mod for me since if i did it manually it would alter my parameters and reset my configs and script calls. once they contacted me and it was in place. i edited my server launch command line by placing @DayzOrigins; after @taviana; did same in launch params for commander. added those addons to the mission.sqm and i was in. 

The only things i did to add origins was contact vert to have them place the mod for me since if i did it manually it would alter my parameters and reset my configs and script calls. once they contacted me and it was in place. i edited my server launch command line by placing @DayzOrigins; after @taviana; did same in launch params for commander. added those addons to the mission.sqm and i was in. 

okay, well that isn't very useful.. Thanks anyways...

Are you lookin in your servers Origins folder or the one on your computer in the arma2oa folder? Just wondering really. Nothing in either needs any editing. The Epoch server is what is looking for the addons as it is essentially an epoch server.. origins is only an addon at this point. the loot table and traders will all still be epoch. your map will change and some sounds. and once you ditch the error you will be able to add the origins vehicles to your traders.

I have to head to bed, if you have no luck i can try to further assist you in teamviewer tomorrow after 7pm EST if you're interested. im sure i can get it running rather quickly.

yes i understand this. but if you look in your @DayzOverwatch folder, go into your addons folder. do you see these files in there?

• ori_flying_fortress
  • ori_pragacopter
  • origins_pack_cars
  • ori_titanic
  • ori_vil_pack
  • vil_ori_autogyr
  • base_buildings

I am pretty sure I already mentioned that those are not files, but config names... they do not appear in folder structure, but configured in form of bin files inside pbos... (plus they have nothing to do with overwatch)

anyway, a full solution is posted in first page, it is your choice to whether put your mind to it and fix it or keep ignoring, I bid you good luck with the issue.

I am pretty sure I already mentioned that those are not files, but config names... they do not appear in folder structure, but configured in form of bin files inside pbos... (plus they have nothing to do with overwatch)

anyway, a full solution is posted in first page, it is your choice to whether put your mind to it and fix it or keep ignoring, I bid you good luck with the issue.

I have tried every possible combination of launch parameters, I have checked my mission.sqm, and yet i still have this issue. What am I missing if you are so smart? 

I had the same problem initially on my server client connection, but the realized i have pantera still in my mods list I just swapped my epoch mods from the panthera version to the Epoch correct version.

Goodluck because my server stays on waiting for host when I try to connect.

Regards Silent

I had the same problem initially on my server client connection, but the realized i have pantera still in my mods list I just swapped my epoch mods from the panthera version to the Epoch correct version.

Goodluck because my server stays on waiting for host when I try to connect.

Regards Silent

yeah thanks, if i get it going i will let you know!

I have tried every possible combination of launch parameters, I have checked my mission.sqm, and yet i still have this issue. What am I missing if you are so smart? 

No need to get cocky when asking for help.

The fact that you try random combinations without even trying to understand how things work will get you nowhere, you will end up with a lot of troubles running server this way, just saying, not being negative or anything. I understand your frustration because Arma isn't very forgiving when it comes to setups.

Anyway, the basics of @mods kinda look like this:

When you launch exe file, arma loads its own PBOs first from \Addons and \Expansion\Addons first. It does NOT load files per-say, all it does is opens each of these PBOs and reads few files on root of them. For this particular case it reads Config.cpp or Config.bin (binarized) files. These are config files where addon names are defined. When contents like objects, textures or configurations are required, these files are then loaded into RAM from HDD and required data extracted and loaded.

As I mentioned earlier, addon names does not need to correspond their filenames on hard drive, they can be anything, the filenames of PBOs can be anything and any name, because they are found and loaded anyway. What matters is their prefix (like \z\Addons\dayz_server\ for example), these prefixes again are part of configuration, they are used to find files required on your hard drive without need to hardcode paths like c:\arma\etc.

After all that good stuff is loaded, arma then stops... it does not load any mods unless told to.

This is where launch parameters comes in. Again folder names same as file names does not matter, what matters is launch params, prefix and addon names in configs.

What this means is that you can download @Dayz_Epoch mod and rename folder to anything else. Then use in-game menu, ,bat files, shortcuts or your favourite launcher to launch game with extra parameters.

Here's the scenario: I want to have 2 different versions of Epoch - 1.0.4.2 and 1.0.5.1 for example. But both folders comes with same name by default, what I could do is rename each folder to ... i dont know,,, for example @Dayz_Epoch1042 and ehh.. @Dayz_EpochNEW. Does not matter what the name is, what matters is the launch params to tell game which folder to load... so for latest one it would be -mod=@Dayz_EpochNEW. That's it.

Now to address your exact problem - I am guessing it is due to loading @Taviana on top of @DayzOrigins (or sequence of dayz_code.pbo of both origins and epoch which have exact same prefixes and CfgPatches). Why? Because both of them have similar addons, namely tavi.pbo, ofcourse naming still does not matter, but what matters is the prefix of PBO and config file inside and which one is last to load. Basically first tavi.pbo is still being read unnecesarry, then data is overwritten by the second PBO that is loaded, but both consists of config called CfgPatches that are hardcoded to require certain addons to be enabled. This means if you launch both of these addons (ignoring the fact that they are overwriting each other), you need to make sure that client is also loading both @mods.

Here's another thing - both @DayzOrigins and @Dayz_Epoch contains similar addon names configured (for example dayz_code.pbo) as well as prefixes, if you are loading both, the sequence of overwriting is important.. so if you want an epoch server with only guns/vehicles/buildings from Origins, then you need to load Origins FIRST, then overwrite it with Epoch mod so proper configs are loaded and old ones overwritten. Mods that are not overwritten are simply included then. If you overwrite epoch mod with origins, then init.sqf in your MPMissions will be looking into dayz_code.pbo of origins mod not epoch, which will break the server structure and won't work simply because PBO file structures are different.

Conclusion -

Server: Basically all we want to do is load Origins first, then Epoch and then finally Epoch server files on server. 

Client: same - we load origins first and then load epoch.

The sequence of mods is defined using -mod= parameter, which brings us back to my previous page as a hint to solution. I've run quite a few different servers and mod hybrids, including overpoch, overpochins and now have live Epoch Origins server in development. Been trough this pain of setup myself, but instead of just guessing randomly, understanding at least some basics came in handy. If for whatever reason you decide on TL;DR on this, maybe you should reconsider running a server and save yourself some headache as this is only the beginning, wait till you get to setting up BEC...