Epoch 1.0.3 First Impressions

Zombiemeatspin

So far I'm having a blast with the current mod version. It feels like a mix between Arma III Wasteland and Arma II Epoch minus the zombies. 

I'm well aware that it's an early alpha so don't bash on my 2 cents as I'm just trying to be constructive here.

Positive:

-The beast/monsters are much tougher and scarier than zombies in Arma II Epoch. If I don't have a big gun and I hear sounds I usually run away like a madman.

-Nice looting system (good looking statics assets such as the military crate).

-Precise Debug Monitor.

-New content being added with each builds.

Negative:

-When I joined my first server it was almost full (45/50). I was getting maybe 15 to 20 fps and terrible lag. Then I joined an hardcore server and was getting way better frame rates between 50 and 100 fps (lag almost 100% got away). Not sure if there needs to be more server restarts or a better cleanup system (dead bodies + loot) but that sure could help on the more popular servers.

-Hacking at the moment is really bad. Flying jets teleporting you into the air or people out of nowhere shooting rockets and targeting you with hunters convoys seems a bit strange right next to the spawns.

-Stamina system is a bit too harsh and seems random. At times I can run for 10 to 15 minutes non-stops while I can respawn and be tired after 2 minutes of sprinting. Personally, I would only add stamina in the hardcore servers or really reduce the fatigue and or accelerate the regeneration of stamina.

-The loot in the buildings seems way too random to me. I can open 50 buildings and find nothing and then all of sudden I find a huge stash in a single house or building. I've learned tonight about the trash piles and crates but these would need to be server cleaned up after a while let's say every 30 minutes or so.

-Arma III related bug with their building meshes but me and my friends died a couples times in the industrial building stairways.

-Arma III DLC content giving you errors while wearing the Kart Helmet and the Racing Suit.

I played for X amount of hours earlier today, it was my first time on the new A3 Epoch and didnt see one monster/zombie/beast for the whole time i was on. 

were you on foot? or in a car? 

best way to see antagonists is to loot on foot, get soiled, and kill 

So far I'm having a blast with the current mod version. It feels like a mix between Arma III Wasteland and Arma II Epoch minus the zombies. 

I'm well aware that it's an early alpha so don't bash on my 2 cents as I'm just trying to be constructive here.

Positive:

-The beast/monsters are much tougher and scarier than zombies in Arma II Epoch. If I don't have a big gun and I hear sounds I usually run away like a madman.

-Nice looting system (good looking statics assets such as the military crate).

-Precise Debug Monitor.

-New content being added with each builds.

Negative:

-When I joined my first server it was almost full (45/50). I was getting maybe 15 to 20 fps and terrible lag. Then I joined an hardcore server and was getting way better frame rates between 50 and 100 fps (lag almost 100% got away). Not sure if there needs to be more server restarts or a better cleanup system (dead bodies + loot) but that sure could help on the more popular servers.

-Hacking at the moment is really bad. Flying jets teleporting you into the air or people out of nowhere shooting rockets and targeting you with hunters convoys seems a bit strange right next to the spawns.

-Stamina system is a bit too harsh and seems random. At times I can run for 10 to 15 minutes non-stops while I can respawn and be tired after 2 minutes of sprinting. Personally, I would only add stamina in the hardcore servers or really reduce the fatigue and or accelerate the regeneration of stamina.

-The loot in the buildings seems way too random to me. I can open 50 buildings and find nothing and then all of sudden I find a huge stash in a single house or building. I've learned tonight about the trash piles and crates but these would need to be server cleaned up after a while let's say every 30 minutes or so.

-Arma III related bug with their building meshes but me and my friends died a couples times in the industrial building stairways.

for the negative things, here's my 2 cents

1. Haven't really noticed lag with a full server, but everyone's different. as for the clean up, this was in the 1.0.2 hotfix "[Optimize] Added cleanup on furniture, weaponholders, and Krypto devices every 20min if no players within 45m."

2. Hacking is bad but it's being addressed from what i can piece together

3. The stamina system seems fine, you start with little and the longer you live the more of a stamina pool you get. A nice little reward for staying alive :D.

4. The loot can be tough sometimes but personally doesn't seem that bad to me, still rare but not horribly common.

5. As for the mesh bugs... yea those are a problem especially when you start phasing thru walls and doors lol

Nice Morgan thanks for the tips about stamina. It sure does help to stay alive a bit longer on that matter.

I have noticed a few more things tonight with the bugs. While in a suv car at night the gamma with the tinted windows seemed all screwed up (similar to the hdr non standard option bug). There is a lot of flickering both with the background and with my gps left ctrl + m. Flickering is probably due to the poor A3 physics of the suv car but it might be noticeable in other cars.

On another note what do you need to build the plot pole/antenna thingy?

I agree with regards to loot distribution.

No fun to search 100 places and find 1 that has 3 lootable chests. I hope the game doesn't become that sort of hide and go seek for hours on end.

I would also like more reward for going far far into the woods and finding stuff in a shack. Everything is a bit predictable as far as sofa, fridge, and case placement.

I'm not saying MORE LOOT, I just think it should be dispersed to take away the advantage of going directly to a loot location such as in DayZ. I don't want another DayZ, put it that way.

I played for X amount of hours earlier today, it was my first time on the new A3 Epoch and didnt see one monster/zombie/beast for the whole time i was on. 

Dude, I spawned in yesterday and had a dog on my instantly, ran into town and 2 minutes later there was a sapper.  Being chased around town by a dog and a sapper w/o weapon and uav shows up and spots me, spawns ai.  I didn't see where the AI were, came around corner, ran out on street and looked ahead to see all 3 of them running directly toward me at like 30m away, spun around and they broke my legs.  Managed to hobble over to a trash pile and found a M1911 and blasted one of the AI, spun around and caught the dog just before it started attacking me.  Then the sapper came running around the corner like 10 seconds later and I unloaded on it and barely killed it before it reached me.  Hobbled into a building and got 5 minute until restart warning and just logged out lol.  Came back and my legs were fine, but was missing ammo.

About 15 min later I had a Mk200 and had nearly the same senario happen, only with a Cultist, 2 dogs, and UAV.  I just ran inside a house and logged out again, said f this lol.  But after that I didn't see a single antagonist for like 4 hours.

I think it's just really hit or miss, especially depending on whether you're on a highly populated server or not.

Dude, I spawned in yesterday and had a dog on my instantly, ran into town and 2 minutes later there was a sapper.  Being chased around town by a dog and a sapper w/o weapon and uav shows up and spots me, spawns ai.  I didn't see where the AI were, came around corner, ran out on street and looked ahead to see all 3 of them running directly toward me at like 30m away, spun around and they broke my legs.  Managed to hobble over to a trash pile and found a M1911 and blasted one of the AI, spun around and caught the dog just before it started attacking me.  Then the sapper came running around the corner like 10 seconds later and I unloaded on it and barely killed it before it reached me.  Hobbled into a building and got 5 minute until restart warning and just logged out lol.  Came back and my legs were fine, but was missing ammo.

About 15 min later I had a Mk200 and had nearly the same senario happen, only with a Cultist, 2 dogs, and UAV.  I just ran inside a house and logged out again, said f this lol.  But after that I didn't see a single antagonist for like 4 hours.

I think it's just really hit or miss, especially depending on whether you're on a highly populated server or not.

This actually sounds like a kick arse scenario, I would of loved this.

For other bugs, before reporting people should like at the BiS sight to make sure what they are saying hasn't already been reported. If it has just go and vote and it while leaving some kind of responce on the ticket.

-GL out there

Mikel