RAMdisk vs Epoch

Usersd

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I used search and didn't find anything about it. Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread but it seemed the most fitting to me.

Anyone knows how to use RAMdisk with epoch? With dayZ commander, the original DayZ is easy because it allows you to override the dayZ default folder path with a new one (the virtual RAM hdd), however as far as I know I can't override the path of Epoch.

Anyone has any workarounds handy? Like, how to make a shortcut to directly OA + mods I guess?

I'd be grateful if any of you could help a stranger out  :)

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I used search and didn't find anything about it. Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread but it seemed the most fitting to me.

Anyone knows how to use RAMdisk with epoch? With dayZ commander, the original DayZ is easy because it allows you to override the dayZ default folder path with a new one (the virtual RAM hdd), however as far as I know I can't override the path of Epoch.

Anyone has any workarounds handy? Like, how to make a shortcut to directly OA + mods I guess?

I'd be grateful if any of you could help a stranger out  :)

Check out http://dimmdrive.com  it is a ramdisk specifically for gamers.

I currently use Junction (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx) to fool steam into thinking my Arma2 OA client installation is in the right place when it is actually on another drive (SSD)..

The same principal can be applied, for a RAM DISK, to the @dayz_Epoch and @Dyaz_Epoch Server directories in your server installation If you have enough room it 'may' be worth experimenting with moving the mySQL installation on there too (though make sure you take very regular backups, one unexpected restart and bang goes your current data)

I first did this for the @Dayz folder, when setting up my very first dayZ server, and did notice improvements on server and still do on the client..

Basically copy your @dayz_Epoch and @Dayz_Epoch_Server directories onto the RamDisk and then create a junction, for each, in your arma2 folder pointing to the folder on the ramdisk.. I don't know what the implications are for resources to 'run' the junction but I have used this for a few things and have never run into any issues..

ANother possible method: Running a quick test using this in the server startup parameters "-mod=D:\@Dayz_Epoch;D:\@Dayz_Epoch_Server;" (where D:\ would be your ramdisk) causes file not found errors, may be worth investigating further as you can move mod folders for the client, dayZ commander allows you to specify where your @Dayz folder is..

Forgive my ignorance but you don't need to do any of this..

Once you've run dayz and  epoch once on your steam folder.. the keys etc are set.. just copy your dayz_epoch folder entirly into your ramdisk and then point commander there instead of to the steam folder.. you don't actually have to even turn steam on.. least.. that's the way I run it... almost never even run steam barring updates these days:)

In a bit of a rush to explain further but will check back once i'm back from the dentist and work.. and explain further if needed!

My Epoch folder for example only has about 800mb in it easily fits on a 1gb ram drive!..Been a while since i fiddled with my install but I'm damned sure I still have it setup this way!

You don't really need junction for the client either, axeman.

Steam supports multiple library locations or you can manually move it. I migrated my arma2 install over to my SSD and just changed the pointer in registry. There's like 2 keys total which provide the installation path.