Protection at Traders

olliepack

+1 for safe zones here. Seems daft to me to say that killing anyone in a zone around the trader is a banning offence, requiring evidence to be recorded, admin time to look into it, banning the culprits and compensating the victim, when you can just stick a safe zone up and save everyone the hassle and grievances. Makes for a better time had by players and admins. Safe zones worked well in A2 Epoch, sure you could still get player camping safe zones but they were generally big enough that it was hard for anything but the biggest of clans to effectively block all exits and players had a fighting chance of getting away.

Anyway it's all about opinions and the joy of arma is everyone can tailor it to their own tastes.

We are adding a means to punish killing traders, now if this extends into an AI guard remains to be seen. Am tempted to add the retaliation for killing a player mid trade or within the traders place of work.

Ultimately the idea is that the trader is calling in help as he is laying on the floor bleeding out, he would certainly call in that help if someone shot one of his customers infront of him.

As a thought is it possible to code in when someone is in the interaction menu of a trader they are made invincible?

I dont think there should be any player protection for traders wheres the survival in that, people go running to the traders in the middle of a firefight right outside one, or they cry to server admins saying you were camping the traders when they were 800 meters out.  Honestly the only places that should be protected are protected, theres plenty of safe traders to go to you spawn right at them 

I vote for safe zones around traders.
I know it's not realistic but it's the best solution to stop ppl being killed while trading.
There should be traders with safe zones and traders that don't have safe zones, like it's now on some DayZ Epoch servers.

As for the safe zone camping, well that's another story. If you're not smart enough to go to a trader that has good cover to go in and out safely that's your fault.

If there will be so many traders as there are now then you can just choose one that's more secure.

The other solution could be a bounty system that places an indicator on those who attack players that are trading.

But I think it's much more complicated and the developers work should be focused on more important matters...

Tbh in situations like this where peoples opinion seem to be polarized probably the best solution is to make it a server option / leave it up to server admins to implement depending on their tastes.

Yeah that's the best solution.

But it has to be said that in that case all the popular servers will have safe zones because ppl won't play on servers that don't have them,

We've see in it with DayZ Epoch... the popular servers were the ones with lots of loot, safe zones and all the "easy" settings... (no night, etc...)

Yeah that's the best solution.

But it has to be said that in that case all the popular servers will have safe zones because ppl won't play on servers that don't have them,

We've see in it with DayZ Epoch... the popular servers were the ones with lots of loot, safe zones and all the "easy" settings... (no night, etc...)

That's absolutely correct, and I've been banging on about this for ages.

The idea of hardcore is great, and I'd like hardcore options for when I'm playing alone. But most of the time I want shits and giggles with my mates, and the servers offering the most action/fun will get the most players including ourselves.

I think it would be a good idea if you got about 100 meters on an orange trader and up to 300m on a black trader as a safe zone. Just enough so you can get in and trade on an orange and for black ones where you spawn its a joke on how much you get shot at leaving the area. Its just mindless cowards who can't go in a proper gun fight. People camping spawn areas really piss me off. .

Also make sure that no dogs can get in as well. getting bitten by a dog while trying to trade is more annoying than a player camping outside.