What to expect from your admins?

ssoylu1996

Hi,

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I am new to owning a server. I have 2 people who have helped me test my server and also helped me a lot while on the way to making it live. We discussed trader prices and items that should be added and should not be added etc. 

It has been 5 days since it is live now and I've given Admin rights to both of these people. They were online in game for 2 days, afterwards they have not been so active. But they claim to be watching the rCon all the time while playing other games.

I personally am online helping many players myself and while I am offline I don't see so much off their admin activity through my rCon. What should I do? Are they still worthy of being an admin as they claim to be watching over the rCon or should I change rCon password and demote them in game?

I have around 5 - 10 players in game daily. Most of these people mainly a few friends I met on DayZ and others are returning players from a server I owned for a month but then it was attacked. This new server has anti DDOS and infiSTAR which makes it better than the older one.

In conclusion I would like to know what everyone thinks about this and what I should expect from them?

Thank you all for taking your time in reading this! I am looking forward to reading replies.

That's up to you; personally I don't give out rcon or any admin access but myself and the co-founder of our clan.

It's good that they keep an eye on chat through rcon but they're currently not an asset to your server. Though it's risky keeping those two as admins as they could damage your servers reputation in your absense.

You mention having the anti-cheat protection; which is good. Though do they also have access to the extra tools that come with it? Personally I hate those except for the 'anti-cheat' part, I've had it on my servers but never gave myself access to the extra tools as it will ruin not only the gameplay for you, but also for your players. 

For example; building that huge admin base with tools? Might be fun for a day or two and you might feel 'safe' and possibly you feel that you earned it for hosting the server. But I can tell you; it gets old after a while. And being labled as an 'abusive' admin is the last thing you want, if you want to keep/expand your playerbase.

It's YOUR job, as a server-owner, to provide a healthy and fun environment for your players. So unless they're active in your server and helping you to provide that environment for your players, I wouldn't keep them as admins when inactive; it can be a huge risk for your players.

But that's just my 2cents.

If you have any more questions; feel free to pm me.

kick them. On my server, i have Me, and three other admins. We all know what to do and what not to do. They all love the game and just play like normal. When someone calls admin, they come. Dont pick people who are not active. Get someone who plays the most on your server and see how hes like. and make him one. Best way.

That's up to you; personally I don't give out rcon or any admin access but myself and the co-founder of our clan.

It's good that they keep an eye on chat through rcon but they're currently not an asset to your server. Though it's risky keeping those two as admins as they could damage your servers reputation in your absense.

You mention having the anti-cheat protection; which is good. Though do they also have access to the extra tools that come with it? Personally I hate those except for the 'anti-cheat' part, I've had it on my servers but never gave myself access to the extra tools as it will ruin not only the gameplay for you, but also for your players. 

For example; building that huge admin base with tools? Might be fun for a day or two and you might feel 'safe' and possibly you feel that you earned it for hosting the server. But I can tell you; it gets old after a while. And being labled as an 'abusive' admin is the last thing you want, if you want to keep/expand your playerbase.

It's YOUR job, as a server-owner, to provide a healthy and fun environment for your players. So unless they're active in your server and helping you to provide that environment for your players, I wouldn't keep them as admins when inactive; it can be a huge risk for your players.

But that's just my 2cents.

If you have any more questions; feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the reply, I have demoted both. I realise that Trust in this situation is not what matters. It is the risks I take, I do not want to make decisions that I will regret in the future. Mistakes can be made but also avoided, I personally have access to all the extra tools which I was given by the anti hack. But I never use them for my benefits. I believe that they are only there for me to use if necessary while helping players.

I now also realize that, I should not have given them a admin position but a donator package which would have helped them building a fairly fine sized base in game. 

Thank you for your advice, I need to consider many things before taking such actions.

kick them. On my server, i have Me, and three other admins. We all know what to do and what not to do. They all love the game and just play like normal. When someone calls admin, they come. Dont pick people who are not active. Get someone who plays the most on your server and see how hes like. and make him one. Best way.

Thanks for the Tip, I will definitely try out the most active :)

Having powers often kills the game for most people.  Most people don't know how to use them properly, how to keep the temptation of using them from ruining the game for them and others.  Personally, I think I'd rather have someone watching RCON than handing powers out to people in game and either end up interfering with gameplay or become abused by overly needy players.  However, I wouldn't give anything to anyone I didn't really know.  I don't know how many servers I've seen where people just "elect" players to have mod or even admin powers and 99% of the time it just goes awry.

I don't like playing on servers where there's more than a couple admins/mods that are zipping around in god mode.  It's one thing if they're just addressing bugs or actually handling cheaters, but most of the time they're just interfering with gameplay.  The server I've been playing on, I've been playing on for a few months now, and while it's been run pretty well by the main admins in the past, they've been electing a handful of other people to mod their server and these people have been using their powers way too much and I've already witnessed someone abusing them.  It's a very sad thing when you finally find a server that ACTUALLY RUNS WELL and isn't run by idiots and then the staff is expanded to include people that don't really know what they're doing and ruin the game for those playing there.

I guess most people don't feel the same way as I do though.  It would seem most Epoch players would prefer having people with power at their finger tips to TP to them when they're feeling blue.  For me, it creates mistrust when people have such powers and use them so frequently and then weird things start happening.  I prefer to run my own server using my powers as little as possible, especially since I actually like to play the game.  But when people know you have powers, most of them DEMAND that you use them to help them with things and leave the server when you don't.  It's very frustrating.  I don't understand the majority of Epoch players and why they don't want to just play the game.

Having powers often kills the game for most people.  Most people don't know how to use them properly, how to keep the temptation of using them from ruining the game for them and others.  Personally, I think I'd rather have someone watching RCON than handing powers out to people in game and either end up interfering with gameplay or become abused by overly needy players.  However, I wouldn't give anything to anyone I didn't really know.  I don't know how many servers I've seen where people just "elect" players to have mod or even admin powers and 99% of the time it just goes awry.

I don't like playing on servers where there's more than a couple admins/mods that are zipping around in god mode.  It's one thing if they're just addressing bugs or actually handling cheaters, but most of the time they're just interfering with gameplay.  The server I've been playing on, I've been playing on for a few months now, and while it's been run pretty well by the main admins in the past, they've been electing a handful of other people to mod their server and these people have been using their powers way too much and I've already witnessed someone abusing them.  It's a very sad thing when you finally find a server that ACTUALLY RUNS WELL and isn't run by idiots and then the staff is expanded to include people that don't really know what they're doing and ruin the game for those playing there.

I guess most people don't feel the same way as I do though.  It would seem most Epoch players would prefer having people with power at their finger tips to TP to them when they're feeling blue.  For me, it creates mistrust when people have such powers and use them so frequently and then weird things start happening.  I prefer to run my own server using my powers as little as possible, especially since I actually like to play the game.  But when people know you have powers, most of them DEMAND that you use them to help them with things and leave the server when you don't.  It's very frustrating.  I don't understand the majority of Epoch players and why they don't want to just play the game.

Hey,

I agree with you saying that powers often kills the game for most people. I have had players ask me to meet them because they wanted to tell me something in private and when I did, I was often asked "Can you fix my car". I would answer "NO" and teleport back to where I left off. At some point I was asked to login and then meet them in  game to fix their car and it got really annoying.

But as a server admin, you can actually modify what rights your moderators can have. But if you are a person that is not so experienced when it comes to scripting, you'll struggle. This is why I gave my RCON password to my first two admins in the beginning. After I learned that it was a big risk, but if my players demand me to do things for them using my powers I just ignore them. 

Thanks.

Dead on man. I have my own Overpoch Server and its been a hassle, not just the people who want to be helped when it's their own stupidity that got them there but also those that can't get enough help. Im torn apart around this whole discussion...I want the best gameplay on my server (complete custom map to shift gameplay etc.) but they just cant get enough...Million custom things on a map and I get people who come on and leave after 10min because there is no coin system and they don't want to carry their money?! Like really?! Where did this community end up? How can you really set standards like this playing a survival game? Where are all the OG Arma and OG DayZ Mod players?!

It's things I don't and will never understand. The missing appreciation of the long and hard work that goes into making a server (for some a bit more, for some a bit less) will always be there, people don't understand the real game anymore because of the media sending them into a "KILL" "DESTROY" "TROLL (because its apparently so funny)" "LEAVE" type trance.

If even half the people that watch FrankieonPCin1080p would behave like him or even close we would be getting much better gameplay...Just saying.

But instead the people who watch "DayZ Troll lololololol" "NEW DAYZ HACK" "HOW TO WIPE MY ASS" are the ones we are getting at the most part.

Now don't get me completely wrong on this, I have just pointed out some bad people from the past time, we do have a great community that plays fair and fun!

But like I said those only fill up 6-8slots and this server needs more people. 

Anyways Im happy I could share my concerns with others! Have a good day!

Best regards,

Blite

p.s.: If you want to see the Server yourself, feel free to check by. :)

217.23.6.187:2301

Just a little demonstration quote:

[2014-08-15 | 04:37:09]  (Side) Senne: wer leaving see ya

[2014-08-15 | 04:37:46]  (Side) Senne: no gold coint system don't wan't to cary the mony like in epoch

1. Spelling is WTF?!

2. Is it that difficult and hard to carry your money? (I doubt they ever made more than a brief)

3. It's Overpoch, did they not get the hint that this is a Epoch based mod? 

4. Please tell me if you know him... ^^

+They at least got me a good laugh this morning when I looked through the log ^^

@Blite;

I totally get what you mean, it seems like some players are often not satisfied no matter how hard you work on your server.

Personally I like to be a minimalist in game, instead of buying items from a store; I go on an 'adventure' and get the items myself by farming certain locations and accepting any challange that crosses my path. I just love the authenticity of a hardcore survival server and knowing that you really accomplished something by hard work and dedication.

Sadly this is often not the case for the majority of most DayZ players, so instead of making my server to MY likings; I had to go with the majority of players that rather have everything 'handed' to them. 1000 Vehicles, Towing/Lifting, SelfBB etc. Just to get an evergrowing playerbase.

And it worked; most of the time my server was between 30-40 players but this also took away a lot of my free time, especially with updates, I had to upgrade it as fast as possible just to maintain a happy crowd. But no matter how hard I tried; there were still players that didn't like certain aspects of the server. But I can tell you from experience; there will always be unsatisfied players and at a certain point you will just have to accept that. You simply can't make everyone happy.

Ultimately; you pay for the server, you maintain it and it can be very stressful at times but there should also be room for you to enjoy your server with the people that do appreciate the hard work you put into it. So eventhough you don't reach your limits in server slots; don't get discouraged by trolls that don't know how to appreciate your hard work.

It seems like you already got a pretty good playerbase going on, keep up the good work and who knows how far you'll come.

@Blite;

I totally get what you mean, it seems like some players are often not satisfied no matter how hard you work on your server.

Personally I like to be a minimalist in game, instead of buying items from a store; I go on an 'adventure' and get the items myself by farming certain locations and accepting any challange that crosses my path. I just love the authenticity of a hardcore survival server and knowing that you really accomplished something by hard work and dedication.

Sadly this is often not the case for the majority of most DayZ players, so instead of making my server to MY likings; I had to go with the majority of players that rather have everything 'handed' to them. 1000 Vehicles, Towing/Lifting, SelfBB etc. Just to get an evergrowing playerbase.

And it worked; most of the time my server was between 30-40 players but this also took away a lot of my free time, especially with updates, I had to upgrade it as fast as possible just to maintain a happy crowd. But no matter how hard I tried; there were still players that didn't like certain aspects of the server. But I can tell you from experience; there will always be unsatisfied players and at a certain point you will just have to accept that. You simply can't make everyone happy.

Ultimately; you pay for the server, you maintain it and it can be very stressful at times but there should also be room for you to enjoy your server with the people that do appreciate the hard work you put into it. So eventhough you don't reach your limits in server slots; don't get discouraged by trolls that don't know how to appreciate your hard work.

It seems like you already got a pretty good playerbase going on, keep up the good work and who knows how far you'll come.

Im happy to have found someone with the same thoughts on things, 

mind sharing your Server IP? Id like to just check it out!