[HOW-TO] New Steam-Only Arma Update

Brockie

Question

Guys you really need to update your arma version this weekend.  June 30 is final gamespy shutdown,  and Battleye will not protect older versions after june 30th.   You are urged to upgrade to the new steam version (125548).

This guide is designed for private server hosting with access to all files, epoch 1.0.5.1 installed, with the steam version of Arma 2 + Arma 2 OA.

To do so: 

step 1:  go to your operation arrowhead folder

step 2:  delete the all the exe files (ArmA2OA, arma2oaserver, ArmA2OA_BE)  if you don't have ArmA2OA_BE skip it.

step 3: go into your Expansion\ folder

step 4: delete the beta\ folder and all it's contents.  If you don't have a beta folder, skip it.

step 5:  go to steam library -> operation arrowhead -> right click -> properties -> beta -> Choose your version.  Opt-out (stable) Opt-In (beta)  1.62- (older version)

step 6: wait for game to switch to versions

step 7:  go to steam library -> operation arrowhead -> right click -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of the game.

step 8: wait for game to verify and then launch arma 2 oa from steam library.  check to see if you have the new version in the bottom right corner.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

For a point of reference... when I launch my arma OA.. at the main menu I see:

- 3 pictures in the bottom-left corner: first one is Dayz Epoch, next one is Arma 2, next one is Arma Arrowhead.

- In the bottom-right corner it says version 1.63.125548 and beneath that it says 1.0.5.1

- In the top-right corner, under the dayz epoch picture it says Dayz Epoch 1.0.5.1.

If you got all that it should work on newly updated servers, like mine.  If you are missing any of that try clicking the expansion button and activate them.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

SERVER OWNERS EXTRA STEPS:  

Step 9: Copy the entire contents of your Arma 2 & Arma 2 OA folder into your server folder.  This should update your server to new version. 

STEAM VERSION EXTRA STEPS:

Step 10:  Change your launchers .exe paths: Expansion\beta\arma2OAserver.exe (delete the red part.  steam version uses exe in the main folder, not the expansion\beta folder.)   

Step 11:  In your config.cfg add two lines at the very top:

steamport = 2300;
steamqueryport = 2301;

Step 12:  add port forwarding to these ports.

Step 13:  In your config.cfg update your requiredBuild = 125548;

Step 14:  In your config.cfg.. right below your requiredBuild add this line:

requiredSecureId = 2;

Notes:

- Keep the old gamespyreportingIP= in the configs.

- Keep your old port forwarding.

- Keep the -port=2302 in the launchers.

If you have any problems feel free to pm me.

WARNING A LOT OF EPOCH CUSTOM SCRIPTING DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY ON NEW VERSION. RECOMMENDED: FRESH SERVER INSTALL AND ADD SCRIPTS 1 BY 1.

With steam,  it has new steamID.  I'm not 100% sure but it looks like I have a new GUID also.  When players connect to the database it will create a whole new player to the database with the new steamID.  In the database it will keep the old entries with playerUID and create all new entires with steamIDs.  This may, or may not cause DB issues/loading issues.  Not sure.  All players will start with a new, fresh character... kills reset, humanity reset, plot poles will need not recognize you as owner, etc...  I'm guessing all the player bans need to be updated, and I doubt that is even possible, so server admins need to find there own ways to deal with these problems.  So we need to be extra vigilant against hackers.  My information tells me that Dayz commander will not work after the gamespy shutdown unless we are very lucky, so I am recommending this update to all server admins.

You can add your server to DayZ Commander, manually, using the steamqueryport. For example, if your server is at ip/port 100.123.4.57:2302 and your steamqueryport is 2301, add on DayZ Commander the server 100.123.4.57:2301 (yes, 2301).

I can give my players with DayZ Commander this new ip/port, with steamqueryport, to be added manually. Not awesome news, but its nice.

You can add your server to DayZ Commander, manually, using the steamqueryport. For example, if your server is at ip/port 100.123.4.57:2302 and your steamqueryport is 2301, add on DayZ Commander the server 100.123.4.57:2301 (yes, 2301).

I can give my players with DayZ Commander this new ip/port, with steamqueryport, to be added manually. Not awesome news, but its nice.

Hi,

Thanks that did fix it. My dayz commander was glitched or something because i did add the 2301 port to the list as well. Is there a possible way to increase the server name to longer characters? There seems to be a limit? Has anyone noticed this?

This still doesn't work for me and I'm at 6h 30m so far without mine showing up in DZC. Also in the Steam server browser list, doing the same as above with the steam query port, my server refreshes briefly and displays the title but, after a second or two is disappears and turns back into just an ip number and says < not responding >

My server's port is 2332 so, I have the following in my cfg:

steamPort = 2330;
steamQueryPort = 2331;

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Hey guys.  I don't understand why you would want to use commander at all?

To be honest, I haven't tried to connect to my server from commander... because I gave up using it a long time ago due to various issues... slow updates, and causes too much confusion...  people should learn to start using the ingame  multiplayer button, it makes things so much easier for everyone.  Why?

Well lets say I have a dedicated server on my internal LAN network, which I do... sometimes commander will say my server ping is 10,000 even tho it's running, not really sure why but I think it's because the server is on my internal LAN network and messes up search function?  The point is that if commander does this to me, it will not recognize it as an epoch server at all and when I try to join it will not add the proper launch parameters and thus I will not be able to join.

Now rather if you start your game through steam library and activate the epoch mod from the main menu, it will relaunch the game with the epochmod and you can now go to multiplayer, add your IP address and join your server easy, like it should be.

Another thing.  Commander delayed this update far too long and has proven to me to be unreliable.  Using steam for arma auto-updates and epochmod.com for epoch updates would be much better practice for you and your players.

And one last thing, when I looked at commander yesterday, yes I saw my server on the list right away but as mentioned above the port shows up as 2301 and that just doesn't seem right to me at all... I didn't bother trying to join with commander... I probably should have but I'm just not fond of it anymore, I tell all my players to use ingame search function and everyone seems fine with it!

I tend to agree, DayZ Commander became something more important than the game itself.

This is because it's try to make things easy because it check versions and everything, you don't need to set the expansions manually.

At the end you have a big player base that have not learned how to set files, versions, manually.

Not sure if it worth.

Step one: open steam. 
Step two: go to your games 
Step three: right click on arma oa an arma 2 an disable automatic update
Step four: right click on your arma oa an go to updates. Click the little drop down box an click 1.62 older version let the 10mb download finish
Step six: Uninstall it if you already have it installed using the Dotjosh.DayZCommander.Installer.msi which is the program you jus downloaded. 
Step seven: Install it again after that install the update you want to have so say its 112555 install that
Step eight: go to your desktop an right click on your shortcut < click open file location < click _pendingupdate < in that folder delete Dayz commander updater or the thing that says updater in the folder. 
that is for so your dayz commander dont update because if it update itll mess up your beta version. 
Step nine: once done all that close your dayz commander an relaunch it. 

Happy huntting on dayz. 

<=== if you need video help. 

It Looks like a downgrade from latest beta to 1122555 Why should we want that ? beta patch 125555 was full of fucking bugs.

Any way . Any one found a way to get his servers on dayz commander ? Sadly all mi players use DZC to connect to my server and DZC is mi most important source 

of players right now. 

we get it work now on our root. but we wana host a second server and cant join them. we get "wait for host" before we come into the lobby..... in the RPT. we have this error: 

17:51:16 Server error: Player without identity LINKEN 

can some body help me pls?

i did every step but my server is greyed out and it says under version in dayz commander installed 1.8.1 not epoch 1.0.5.1 any know what i did wrong or how to fix? you can still join the server fine but i would like the writing white again.

I have followed this to the letter and this is what I'm getting:

RPT has the following errors and I DID start with CLEAN mission and server file with the intent of rebuilding from scratch.  In addition the client gets "This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application.  You cannot play on this server.  If you are the server admin please contact DayZ Epoch staff. I dont think I missed anything but for the life of me I can't get this running.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

server_hiveReadWriteLar>
 7:12:43   Error Undefined variable in expression: _resultarray
 7:12:43 File z\addons\dayz_server\init\server_functions.sqf, line 166
 7:12:43 Error in expression <y call server_hiveReadWrite;
_outcome = _result select 0;
if(_outcome == "PASS")>
 7:12:43   Error position: <_result select 0;
if(_outcome == "PASS")>
 7:12:43   Error Undefined variable in expression: _result
 7:12:43 File z\addons\dayz_server\compile\server_spawnEvent.sqf, line 39
 7:12:54 Error in expression <ray = call compile format ["%1",_data];
_resultArray
};

server_hiveReadWriteLar>
 7:12:54   Error position: <_resultArray

my server says

Warning Message: No challenge value was received from the master server.

GameSpy QR2 error: 5, No challenge value was received from the master server.

please help me :(

What version of ArmA 2?  What version of Epoch?  This thread is for HOW-TO update to the steam version.  

EVERYONE PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO MAKE COMMANDER WORK ON OLDER VERSIONS. 

Anyone?  I would really like to make this work.  Thanks.

I have followed this to the letter and this is what I'm getting:

RPT has the following errors and I DID start with CLEAN mission and server file with the intent of rebuilding from scratch.  In addition the client gets "This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application.  You cannot play on this server.  If you are the server admin please contact DayZ Epoch staff. I dont think I missed anything but for the life of me I can't get this running.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

server_hiveReadWriteLar>
 7:12:43   Error Undefined variable in expression: _resultarray
 7:12:43 File z\addons\dayz_server\init\server_functions.sqf, line 166
 7:12:43 Error in expression <y call server_hiveReadWrite;
_outcome = _result select 0;
if(_outcome == "PASS")>
 7:12:43   Error position: <_result select 0;
if(_outcome == "PASS")>
 7:12:43   Error Undefined variable in expression: _result
 7:12:43 File z\addons\dayz_server\compile\server_spawnEvent.sqf, line 39
 7:12:54 Error in expression <ray = call compile format ["%1",_data];
_resultArray
};

server_hiveReadWriteLar>
 7:12:54   Error position: <_resultArray

I'm having the same issue LINKEN.

i try to use some other steam ports. in this thread on the second page i find this: 

steamport =8766;  //default 8766, needs to be unique if multiple serves on same box

steamqueryport =22816; //default 27016, needs to be unique if multiple servers on same box

and it works!

hey,

i successfully did the update. Just one issue left though.My Server is now offline on gametracker, Dayz Commander just in the ingame server browser.

Joining Port = 2302

steamport = 2300
steamqueryport = 2301

Also i have a inbound rule in my windows firewall

UDP/TCP 2300 / 2301

Dont know what i need to do else, thanks for any help

Cheers