Question about custom maps.

pure3

Question

Hi!

I'm wondering why everyone is putting their maps in the dayz_server.pbo instead of loading it in the mission.pbo.

Can you explain this to me? Because I putted it in the file like this, and it works great:

bhDpJRh.png

Greetings :)

4 answers to this question

If you do this

[] ExecVM "\z\addons\dayz_server\buildings\mapaddon.sqf";

you will load the custom building via dayz_server.pbo . and why would you do this you ask? well you know when you join a new server? you have to download the MPmission.pbo file. and the bigger that file is, the longer it will take for people to join and it can reduce server performance.

hope it helps :)

Anything in the server pbo makes it a lot harder for people to steal.

Anything in the mission pbo is pretty much up for grabs.

yeah, that to :) if you have some addons you made and you wont anyone else to have them, dayz_server is the way. thx for reminding :)

If you do this

[] ExecVM "\z\addons\dayz_server\buildings\mapaddon.sqf";

you will load the custom building via dayz_server.pbo . and why would you do this you ask? well you know when you join a new server? you have to download the MPmission.pbo file. and the bigger that file is, the longer it will take for people to join and it can reduce server performance.

hope it helps :)

If you have that line in the Init.sqf, then it is still loading from the client, even though the file is in the server pbo, making the benefits of having it serversided pointless.

Hi!

I'm wondering why everyone is putting their maps in the dayz_server.pbo instead of loading it in the mission.pbo.

Can you explain this to me? Because I putted it in the file like this, and it works great:

Greetings :)

If you add the file to the server.pbo, you are removing a large chunk that the player is required to download.

On my server, I have 1.16MB worth of map additions, which are 1.16MB that the player doesn't have to download.

Also, if you are running a server that has a lot of clientside based scripts, forcing the client to load all the buildings onto the map can cause a lot of lag for them, which results in FPS drops. When adding them to the server, the client gets less FPS drops, but if the additions are so huge that your server FPS starts dropping, you start getting server lag instead of client lag.

By adding it to the server.pbo you also get the benefit of having it unable to be stolen. People can always steal your ideas, but now they cannot steal your map addition files.