MySQL Windows Service Error

fr1nk

Question

Hi folks. Decided to play around with a dedi server this past weekend and came across the following issue when trying to start MySQL as a Windows service:

"Error 1067: The Process Terminated Unexpectedly"

Googled and found many potential solutions - tried a few and they didn't seem to work. Thought I'd save some time and ask the folks here who know best. 

The server is running Windows 2008 Server R2, and I installed the MySQL 5.6 MSI package, 32-bit version (should I go with 64?). The error logs that I looked at didn't seem to say much, other than the start attempt failed. Event viewer wasn't much help either. Any suggestions on where to troubleshoot next would be great.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I use 5.5.37 on my dedi (Win2008R2) and 5.5.36 on my local (Win7), never had any errors with either of those :)

Both MySQL installs are 32bit because of the vxredist that Epoch needs, and A2 is a 32bit application.

IIRC 5.6.* works on Win2012, 5.5.* just spat out errors for me on Win2012.

Besides I found the Win2012 interface horrible, too much like Win8 :wacko:

I'd also recommend purchasing FireDaemon, takes the hassle out of setting up batch files and the likes.  I only use batch files called from BEC to kill the server+bec processes, FireDaemon takes care of the restarting.

I used to swear by batch files, they're usefull, but FireDaemon's functionality takes the hassle out of writing batches :)

yeah, just about everyone leaves it on default ports.  All your servers will be running local to it, so you shouldn't need to expose it to the internet, and even if you do, make sure the root account only has localhost access! (It does by default)  And any account you want to have outside access doesn't need administrative privileges :)

Or you could do what I do, I have HeidiSQL installed on the box for quick DB edits etc. If I'm doing a big edit/changes to the db, then I use an account not linked to my game servers, and tie it's access to my own IP.  That way it will only accept connections from the IP that matches that username, and then re-restrict it to localhost when I'm done.  :)