Can't get DayZ Epoch (1.0.2) to run on VPS

Gr1ffX

Question

Hi,

I want to host my own DayZ Epoch 1.0.2 server so I rented a VPS with Windows 2008 R2. I followed the following steps:

* Downloaded and installed ARMAII + ARMAII OA + ARMAII OA Beta

* Downloaded both 1.0.2 client and server files from dayzepoch.com

* Put all the files in the ARMAII OA folder. 

* Set up a database in MySQL

* Editted the config and the hiveext file

* Started the server with the .bat file for instance_11_chernarus. Added server IP ánd @DayZ next to -mod=, didn't work at all if i didnt. Now looks like this:

start "arma2" /min "Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -ip=<ipadresshere> -port=2302 "-config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_11_Chernarus" -name=instance_11_Chernarus "-mod=@Dayz;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server"

After executing these steps, my server is booting and will run. Only I cant get a Host/Ping reading in DayZCommander. When I try to enter my server, it will show the DayZ loading screen and will only load the DayZ mod. 

The weird thing is though, if I join another server first and THEN join my own server, It DOES load the Epoch files and I have no issues... ?

I have read on a lot of topics and feedback that starting both ARMAII and ARMAII:OA once is vital(?) for it to work. Well. I'm hosting this on a VPS without any graphics performance so that is out of the question. Is this a real problem?

I'm confused here. I tried many things, but nothing seems to work.

Please give me your thoughts and comments/critique. Really getting frustrated :)

Note: If I do not edit the .bat file (thus only putting in @DayZ_Epoch and @DayZ_Epoch_server, I will get an error msg saying I am unbale to play/edit the mission because it is dependant of deleted files; dayz_epoch, the jetski one etc etc))

Thanks for you help!

- Gr1ffX

10 answers to this question

Make sure the following ports are allowed through your firewall and are port forwarded properly:

2302 TCP OUT
2302 TCP IN

2302 UDP IN

28900 TCP OUT

27900 UDP OUT

Source:
http://gstadmin.gamespy.net/masterserver/index.aspx?gamename=arma2oapc&fields=\hostname\hostport\gamever\country\mapname\gametype\gamemode\numplayers\maxplayers\groupid&overridemaster=&filter=nofilterplz

Another probable issue:
DayZ Commander [DZC] will only launch the mod if it gets the correct mod version of the server. So if your server shows up as an IP:PORT deal on DZC, then you will want to do a full server listing refresh.
A quick test to see if your server is working is to join a random server running DayZ Epoch (one that's titled in DZC), then hit escape until you hit the main menu, then go to Multiplayer, hit "Remote", then type in the ip and port of your server.

Ahhh try this...

See this part?: "-mod=@Dayz;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server"

Remove the @dayz;

To leave:

"-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server"

Try that, reboot, and let me know???

I suspect your server is trying to fire-up with both @Dayz and @dayz_epoch client files... Dayz gets picked (because it's first in list maybe? Although thats just a guess!) 

Give that a bash anyway, and let me know?

Hi,

I want to host my own DayZ Epoch 1.0.2 server so I rented a VPS with Windows 2008 R2. I followed the following steps:

Now looks like this:

start "arma2" /min "Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -ip=<ipadresshere> -port=2302 "-config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_11_Chernarus" -name=instance_11_Chernarus "-mod=@Dayz;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server"
After executing these steps, my server is booting and will run. Only I cant get a Host/Ping reading in DayZCommander. When I try to enter my server, it will show the DayZ loading screen and will only load the DayZ mod. 

The weird thing is though, if I join another server first and THEN join my own server, It DOES load the Epoch files and I have no issues... ?

- Gr1ffX

Hm, 

That does not fix the problem. My server does function when entering another server first, yes. 

But I want people to be able to directly join my server..

Any other ideas?

- Gr1ffX

It usually takes 6-36 hours for the master list to update.

Make sure in your config.cfg file within your mission directory (instance##.mapname) you have the following set:

reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com";

Hi,

Thanks for your answers! I tried the line without the @DayZ. Then it just gives errors about missing files. 

Is the reporting ip always required? I dont want to be a official hive server, because I want to install custom scripts. Does that matter?

Thanks!

- Gr1ffX

In case it helps, here is my launch line in my bat file. Bear in mind this is for my set-up (eg. quad core, so the cpu count bit etc) - Also I have other stuff in the bat (different sections, for bec, MySQL, etc).

As you'll likely see, I don't use @dayz at all, and no IP either

Also, to get it to work well with dayz commander and also Dayz's multiplayer listings, be sure to change the reporting IP in your config file (in the instance folder) :)

:chernarus
cls
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq mysqld.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "mysqld">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="1" echo Start the MySQL server first! & pause & goto start
start "arma2" /HIGH "Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -cpuCount=4 "-config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_11_Chernarus" -name=instance_11_Chernarus "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

timeout 10

Hi,

Thanks for your answers! I tried the line without the @DayZ. Then it just gives errors about missing files. 

Is the reporting ip always required? I dont want to be a official hive server, because I want to install custom scripts. Does that matter?

Thanks!

- Gr1ffX

Make sure you remove the "-mod=@DayZ" part from your client as well, otherwise it's gonna be expecting the regular DayZ files from the server, which it won't load. Launch your game only with "-mod=@dayz_epoch" behind it.

Interesting... I recommended that above, but he said it caused errors, which I don't quite understand :D

Make sure you remove the "-mod=@DayZ" part from your client as well, otherwise it's gonna be expecting the regular DayZ files from the server, which it won't load. Launch your game only with "-mod=@dayz_epoch" behind it.

Yes, you told him to remove the DayZ mod from the server launch parameters, but if he doesn't also remove it from the client parameters, he's going to get an error about missing files, as the client is looking for files the server doesn't have.

Interesting... I recommended that above, but he said it caused errors, which I don't quite understand :D