Audio intro help

LawlessBaron

Question

Hey guys i have an audio intro running seamlessly but the file size of the audio file is 8MB without users having to download it is there anyway to run it in the mission file but run it server side?

for example

#include "dayz_server\custom\broadcast.ogg"

and execute the code for example

class CfgSounds
{
    sounds[] =
    {
    introSong
    };
    class introSong
    {
    name="introSong";
    sound[]={broadcast.ogg,0.9,1};
    titles[] = {};
    };
};

3 answers to this question

If you tried to run the intro song server side (which idk if is possible) it would require you to stream that song to each client when it is triggered, because of the bandwidth on the upstream channel being consumed it would cause a massive desync problem for all players. The only real option with intro songs is to compress them as best you can before turning them into their required .ogg file type, which is a large file type anyway.

Honestly I had intro music in my server and I had gotten it down to 1 meg but it was a short piece, just long enough to last until they were done with the halo jump spawn. Bottom line I removed it since I have allot of scripts that are in the mission file and didn't want to end up bloating users, but every time you add a large file to the mission folder you have to consider is the file size worth the end result.