Particles spawned on some objects.

Sandbird

Question

I am trying to do something similar to the snow effect like this script : http://opendayz.net/threads/adding-snow-to-your-server.12523/   (I am pretty sure a lot are familiar with it.)

I developed the script in the editor and even tested it on the MPmission (not dayz...simple arma MPmission) and it was working fine.....but then i tried to add it to my epoch test server....and realized that spawning particles from the dayz_server.pbo will not show them on the clients :/

I want the server to spawn the particles to whatever object has "setVariable ["particle"] on it. It can be anything....a tent, a car, a box..

Right now I am trying on a vehicle like this...(it works fine in SP)

_veh  = createVehicle[_cClassName,_coords,[],0,"NONE"];
_veh setVariable ["DZAI",1,true];
_veh setVariable ["particle",1,true];
[_veh] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_server\custom\particle.sqf";
And in my particle.sqf i grab the _veh and spawn particles on top of it with the drop command
similar to this
drop ["\ca\data\cl_water", "", "Billboard", 1, 7, _dpos, [0,0,-1], 1, 0.0000001, 0.000, 0.7, [0.07], [[1,1,1,0], [1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,1]], [0,0], 0.2, 1.2, "", "", ""];

Now my guess is that the particles spawn just fine....but they spawn on the server :P. How can i send it to the clients to see ?

The biggest problem is that the objects are created by the server....not the clients....so i cant add this to the missions.pbo since there is nothing there to execute the script.

Any ideas?

5 answers to this question

Particles are client side, so you need to add it to the mission.pbo and have the client checking and adding the particles, not the server.

Hi Vamp, yeah i realize that now, but how would the clients see particles over objects the server spawned ?

All this server->client publicVariableServer handles are a bit confusing.

Whats the approximate path to take here....i'll figure the code out.

Just include the script in the mision pbo, use if (isClient) and then make the code check for tents, and then add the particles above them.

You would use a foreach checking for the variable, and execute the script on the ones it finds.

Thanks,

Would i spawn this script or execVM to run it...and what about resourcing....is this way a bit of a system hog ?

I mean...usually foreach is for nearestobjects or stuff in players inventory...

Having the client to run foreach on all items on the map with kindof Tent....wouldnt it be a bit too much ?

Thanks,

Would i spawn this script or execVM to run it...and what about resourcing....is this way a bit of a system hog ?

I mean...usually foreach is for nearestobjects or stuff in players inventory...

Having the client to run foreach on all items on the map with kindof Tent....wouldnt it be a bit too much ?

I would use nearestObjects with a sleep timer before deleteing the particles and re-adding them, maybe within 1200 meters? Anything outside of that they wont see fast enough. It won't be a system hog that way.

Something like this.

while {Alive player} do {
    {
        [_x] ExecVM "particles.sqf";
    } forEach NearestObjects ["tents", 1200];

sleep 300;
};

I know thats not exactly right, but you get the idea.

Make sure you get the tent to spawn the particles on in particles.sqf as _tent = _this select 0;