Current patch broke using alternate currency

veeshan

Hello. The current patch seems to have broken the ability to implement alternate forms of currency due to the feature that allows traders to make change when purchasing items. This is somewhat disappointing, especially since the 12 inventory slot system and current gold currency items severely limits the prices you can place on items (ie, 12 briefs is the absolute maximum you can do without creating end game currency, which is now broken). Are there any plans to address this in the hotfix patch?

Yeah thats what i mean, im sure i read somewhere that they was in the game for ages but not able to be found. People found them using server tools etc and added them into there servers.

Now epoch has made it so you can find them but are still not available to be used as of yet. If i remember correct they wasnt planned to be part of the currency system

Honestly the best solution would be for the devs to add a new form of currency stacking: stacked briefcases. It doesn't mess with their auto-stack/auto change making feature, but it allows the 12 brief limit to be exceeded. For instance, player has 1 brief and sells a heli for a 2nd. Instead of having 2 briefs, they now have 2 full briefcases as a stacked item. Selling/buying adjusts the currency to the correct amount. How bout it devs?

There is another solution... Drop the price of everything by half. If the issue is that you have things on the vendor you want to be priced more than you can make the game accept as currency.... cut the prices of everything way down, especially the selling prices. Now your run of the mill armed vehicle costs 1 briefcase and sells for 5 10oz gold but it takes just as many guns sold to buy it. 

There is another solution... Drop the price of everything by half. If the issue is that you have things on the vendor you want to be priced more than you can make the game accept as currency.... cut the prices of everything way down, especially the selling prices. Now your run of the mill armed vehicle costs 1 briefcase and sells for 5 10oz gold but it takes just as many guns sold to buy it. 

this won't work because there is still not enough room between the low cost items like coke and pepsi and the high cost items like a heli.

also, using other items as currency was a great option, for any quest system that someone might implement.  ie  kill the drug dealer, loot the Hash, and turn it in for X prize.

There's a reason I made the gems, and they serve an additional purpose that doesn't directly correlate to a dollar or gold value.  It's cool that you found them and started using them for your own intent and purpose, but that doesn't make it our problem.  I would suggest considering why you have such a bloated economy.  Apologies that the new system broke what you guys were doing, but it has made trading for everyone overall much less of a hassle.

This system has come a loooong way folks.  Epoch didn't start off with briefcases.  Does anyone remember having to max everything's price at 12 ten ounce gold bars?  Of course there's room for a higher tier currency, and that's something we're considering with the other ten billion things going on right now(including a3 Epoch *cough*).  My suggestion remains however, your economy is bloated...you may be injecting the world with too many valuable items, or their prices may be too rewarding within the scope of currency a player can hold.

My thought is that if someone really wants to loot 300+ Pepsi to buy a helicopter... well... let them do it. 

Seriously.... 30 pepsi for a gold. Even dropping something like a Huey to 1 briefcase is 360 Pepsi. Guns are STILL more efficient for carrying in to trade as they take up 10 spots and at half what they sell for now would give you 1 gold to 3 gold.

this won't work because there is still not enough room between the low cost items like coke and pepsi and the high cost items like a heli.

also, using other items as currency was a great option, for any quest system that someone might implement.  ie  kill the drug dealer, loot the Hash, and turn it in for X prize.

Use the pound of "hemp" item or something silly, there are plenty of props and objects in game that you could substitute for this.

There's a reason I made the gems, and they serve an additional purpose that doesn't directly correlate to a dollar or gold value.  It's cool that you found them and started using them for your own intent and purpose, but that doesn't make it our problem.  I would suggest considering why you have such a bloated economy.  Apologies the new system broke what you guys were doing, but the it has made trading for everyone overall much less of a hassle.

This system has come a loooong way folks.  Epoch didn't start off with briefcases.  Does anyone remember having to max everything's price at 12 ten ounce gold bars?  Of course there's room for a higher tier currency, and that's something we're considering with the other ten billion things going on right now(including a3 Epoch *cough*).  My suggestion remains however, your economy is bloated...you may be injecting the world with too many valuable items, or their prices may be too rewarding within the scope of currency a player can hold.

Which was my point, you just stated it more susinctly. 

Deflating sell prices helps future issues, but it doesn't really help with money already floating around on the server. It also creates imbalance issues: If you jack up the buy prices for things, it hurts newer players. If you lower the prices in line with the lower money accumulation rates, then long time players can easily buy anything. It also only slows the rate of accumulation, but given enough time, the 12 brief "max" will get hit again.

...then long time players can easily buy anything. 

Welcome to gaming in a persistent world. Nothing you do can prevent this as it is a snowball effect. For example, the player builds up to the point where they can buy something like an Armored SUV which holds a ton of gear and can move around the map fairly well. At that point they can now easily hit several locations where loot spawns gather up EVERYTHING from there instead of pick and choosing. Once they have a safe or locked base they can then stockpile these things and sell them when they choose instead of needing to travel to a vendor fairly frequently to clear out inventory. Now they can do things like I did where I loaded up an Armored SUV with 20+ spare guns... guns I never ever used and still had at least one of, and sold them all for a briefcase. I was at the point where I told myself I was going to get down to one of every gun in the game and I got 2 briefcases out of just guns alone. Then I started to clear out spare tools, any amount of ammo over 50 mags(I had 200+ stanag SD mags). 

Eventually all players will collect an enormous stockpile of stuff or money and the only way to correct that issue is a server wipe. If you want to entice them to do so I would maybe dangle the bait of a new map in front of them and then once they are fully into the idea just quietly mention it would require a database wipe. 

Our server had gold sinks (LAVs, Wildcats, etc), but the pricing on most of it was to make players have to spend more than 12 briefs, thus the need end game currency.

Again... drop the price of everything, especially what you get for selling it. Suddenly you fit within the realm of Briefcases. 

Also, if they have THAT much money then it is possible that you added too many places for them to get loot. I see this on a lot of servers. They put in 30 extra barracks and lots of vehicles especially high cost vehicles and then complain when people have a lot of gold. Don't enable easy mode and people won't have as much gold. 

Our server had gold sinks (LAVs, Wildcats, etc), but the pricing on most of it was to make players have to spend more than 12 briefs, thus the need end game currency.

We had the same system, basically.  We had missions that spawned "super" weaponized vehicles that where sellable to the vendors for cash, or the better ones sold for a gem.  We also made these items buyable for several gems.  Basically you would have to do a mission 4-6 times to be able to afford the savable version of the vehicle.  

The gems were not used due to over inflation. They were the key to be able to sell "special" items and vehicles that even if someone was rich, they couldn't buy the item without doing the task that rewarded the gem.

Use the pound of "hemp" item or something silly, there are plenty of props and objects in game that you could substitute for this.

Hemp is what I meant, I was going to work on the "drug dealer" quest next, but had not got to it yet.  The problem is the vendors will not take (delete) any item from a player's inventory besides money.  We are only asking for a way to set item x as the cost of an item, and have that vendor TAKE item x from the inventory of the player.  

Epoch Staff, WE LOVE THIS MOD.  I cannot stress that enough.  BUT one of the reasons we love this mod so much, is that it is open source.  the mod allows server admins the ability to take it and make each and every server a different experience.  Sequisha, we love your gems.  We just want to use them as a special currency, at least up until you reveal your super secret intentions for them. I could make the Beer, or any other of the hundreds of items that are in the mod the special currency instead, but again, the vendor need to take these items.  They don't have to give change for gems...

Epoch Staff, WE LOVE THIS MOD.  I cannot stress that enough.  BUT one of the reasons we love this mod so much, is that it is open source.  the mod allows server admins the ability to take it and make each and every server a different experience.  Sequisha, we love your gems.  We just want to use them as a special currency, at least up until you reveal your super secret intentions for them. I could make the Beer, or any other of the hundreds of items that are in the mod the special currency instead, but again, the vendor need to take these items.  They don't have to give change for gems...

Totally understand, this has been changed in the patch so that you guys should be able to use them as you did previously.

Changes can be found here: https://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/commit/55b46b45c816b7dacd0adbabf9b3332410e27f77

Edit: Additionally, the change log update: https://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/blob/master/CHANGE%20LOG%201.0.4.1.txt#L35

Totally understand, this has been changed in the patch so that you guys should be able to use them as you did previously.

Changes can be found here: https://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/commit/55b46b45c816b7dacd0adbabf9b3332410e27f77

Edit: Additionally, the change log update: https://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/blob/master/CHANGE%20LOG%201.0.4.1.txt#L35

YOU ARE A BOSS!

thank you tons.  

PS. not trying to be an pest, but you mentioned female skins some time ago, is this still on?

Again... drop the price of everything, especially what you get for selling it. Suddenly you fit within the realm of Briefcases. 

Also, if they have THAT much money then it is possible that you added too many places for them to get loot. I see this on a lot of servers. They put in 30 extra barracks and lots of vehicles especially high cost vehicles and then complain when people have a lot of gold. Don't enable easy mode and people won't have as much gold. 

It's a PVE server. People can run missions/play for months and accumulate gold. Even if you made everything sell for silver, eventually people are going to amass lots of money.

It's a PVE server. People can run missions/play for months and accumulate gold. Even if you made everything sell for silver, eventually people are going to amass lots of money.

I guess I fail to see how that is anyone's problem but those who run and play on the server as DayZ was really never meant to be a PVE game nor was Epoch, both are supposed to have at least some loss in them. Luckily Sequisha resolved it for you. 

I guess I fail to see how that is anyone's problem but those who run and play on the server as DayZ was really never meant to be a PVE game nor was Epoch, both are supposed to have at least some loss in them. Luckily Sequisha resolved it for you. 

Oh there is loss. AI will use javelin missiles vs. armored vehicles and many have mounted AA guns. But you need a hook to keep players coming back like any MMO-type game.