How to script, from square one. Questions.

havock

Question

So I was enjoying my time on another server , when a few changes were made I wasn't a huge fan of. So my buddies and I left and I picked up a dayz.st server. The control panel couldn't be easier for someone like me. I have ZERO server hosting and scripting experience.

There are SO many good "how to" links out there, and more people putting out great script packs that I really want to try them out. But when I start looking into it, I see how far over my head it all really is.

Here is my question.

Is there a place to find, or could someone break this down for me Barney style?

I can get the server and mission pbos downloaded, but where do I download them to, what should I open them with?

I tried to use win zip, but couldn't figure out how it all goes together,

Anyways like I said, i know I'm in over my head. I'm just seeing if anyone is bored enough to give me a little direction. Other than to do something else with my time :-)

Thanks

3 answers to this question

for starters you just download the PBO's to your computer, doesn't matter where.

to extract the files you can't use winzip, you need a PBO manager or a tool which can decode and encode PBO files..

Try this one for example: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369

If you want to learn to write scripts yourselfm check out this guide: Fockers Arma3 Scripting Guide 

I know it says ArmA3 but ArmA2/DayZ is almost identical, just a few less functions but the scripts are the same!

If you know the basics you can also find some nice tutorials here: http://killzonekid.com/category/tutorials/

Edited by Axe Cop