Problem with maxing Object Distance

HarryNutz

I have not had any issues with maxing my object distance till the past couple days since 0.3.9.0 was installed on our server. Let me explain a bit:

Firstly... I don't claim to know if this is an Arma issue or Epoch or maybe just me some kind of conflict between the 2?

Anyway, prior to this most recent Epoch update and with over 1400 hrs on the same server (Ghostrider)... I have had 0 issues with this, Granted I never quite understood why when the server sets for example the "object view distance" to 2500, why the users "object view distance" would always be at 1600 when entering the server and revert on death even after raising it to the server max... but I guess now i understand that its a way to save on FPS when there really is no need for the player to have his/her "object view distance" set to the max all the time unless for example the player snipes exclusively from the max distance all the time.

Well current max "object view distance" is currently set to 2500, yet I can only raise mine to 1600. As I already said this was not an issue prior to the most recent Epoch update, yet others in my group have no issue. I even deleted Epoch and reinstalled... yet still can only max to 1600. I have made no other changes to anything game or system related for many months. I also ran Steams game cache integrity check an all came back fine.

oh, then i got you wrong. Apologize.

You could delete your arma3 profile located in \documents to see if that causes the issue.

Also is the fibal Apex release this evening. I'll delete my Arma and download the latest files, because due to switching between apex sneak preview, dev and standard are some things 'broken' for me.

Deleted profile and reconnected... still I'm the only one who cannot max to 2500. Maxing to 1600 which is beyond frustrating when I have always sniped from my base to Terminal on Altis which is 1.9km from my base and the fog starts at roughly 1.1km and by the 1.9 I cant see anything but thick fog and everyone else has a crystal clear view.

Anyone have any other ideas? And I believe its the Overall View Distance that I am having an issue with and not the Object... because the fog line is whats at the 1.1 km+ distance and everyone else see's it at around the 2200 km distance. And I have tried everything including resintalling the game and still no luck.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:36 AM, rvg?! said:

Thats odd indeed.

I am going to overwrite the Epoch settings in my server init.sqf:

setViewDistance 3000;
setObjectViewDistance 1500;

My last idea is to wait for the final Apex and reinstall your Arma from the scratch.

So we have figured out it's only the admins being effected. I jumped on your server for a few minutes and went to the location where my base is on our server and could see somewhat clearly (you have different weather settings etc), but for sure could see the terminal building which was about 1.9 km away. So i guess the problem must be either in the epoch admin (head admin is having difficulties getting infiStar running) or a missed setting somewhere. A little bit of a shame you weren't running the epoch admin to see if the issue was still there or not. Anyway can you tell me where the locations are that control the view distance so I can check with our head admin and see if in fact he hasn't missed anything?

I haven't had the issue with any antihack. The reason i switched off Epoch AH temporary is just because, it restricts me in my scripting freedom.

Infistar cfg:

/* Terrain Grid Value   */ _TGV = 40;		/* 50, 25, 12.5  */	/* if set to 50 grass will be very low for better client FPS.. default is 25 ~35 is good performance and grass :) */
/* ViewDistance Value   */ _VDV = 3500;
/* ObjectViewDistance   */ _VOV = 1400;

Well you could be right in saying you haven't had an issue, but I am almost willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if you had Epoch AH instead of infiSTAR enabled you would have the same issue. Unless your an avid sniper or just like to take a lot of long shots, you wouldn't notice the difference.

And sorry... I meant settings within Epoch, since we are about a week or so away from figuring out an issue with infiSTAR and why we are using Epoch AH at the moment.

Big words!

You seem to be quite sure of yourself..

Epoch AH doesnt support script cmds i need for events. Thats all.

The Epoch security settings should do already but if not, in my third reply i told you what you need to do.

That does the trick.

If it doesnt, then the admin screwd something else up.

Ooooook... someone woke up on the wrong side of the monitor it seems. I was not arguing with you and wasn't trying to make any kind of assumption as to why you are or aren't using Epoch AH. I made a simple assumption that since you have not used Epoch AH with the latest Epoch update then there is no way for you to know if you would or would not have the same view issue is all.

Exactly what mean:

How you know how i woke up and why you are so sure i havent had epochAH with the 0.3.9?

Dont be yourself so sure all the time, its not trustfull in the end.

And if people mess around with your server problems try ro bring it to the point and reply things where you are really sure about.

Its glasbowl assumptions here at the moment.

"I switched off Epoch AH temporary is just because, it restricts me in my scripting freedom " is why I made the assumption I did. Only stands to reason that in the short period of time that 0.3.9.0 has been out that chances are you didn't waste time turning on Epoch AH when you need infiSTAR to do your scripting.

Dont assume, ask. :wink:

Always when a new epoch version drops out i setup a vanilla epoch testserver with epochAH enabled to have a look what has been changed  or what could cause problems.

Infistar is just for the production/live server at the moment until things like positioning and so on are fixed.

So, and from that point i can tell you that everything should work fine if you not screwed something up in the security settings or anywhere else.

Else you could try the solution from my third reply here to just overwrite the epoch settings by writing it into the init.sqf.

Ok I will have him look at it again, but he said he has gone over it multiple times and has not found any missed settings.

So let me ask this then lol....

When you setup your test server with Epoch AH enabled...

Did you change the view distance?

If you did... did you go back into the server and  use a rangefinder to make sure you were seeing past 1.1 km?

I had it aswell that i looked over and over again and couldnt see the error specially when you spawn and not call scripts.

I use a Lynx with LRPS attached to.

And all i can see are objects floating 3km away, but i can see them.

My viewdistance is 3500.

Also i would zero fog, rain and overcast for testing by

1 setfog 0;

1 setovercast 0;

1 setrain 0;

in the init.sqf within a while or waituntil loop;

Ok that reply sounds reasonable... though for a test server it just strange that someone would take notice to distance, but anyway... let me ask this one last question.

If it was only a test server... did you even bother to setup yourself as an admin or did you just go in without admin?