Are there any Epoch Hardcore servers?

XLoneWolfX

I would play in HC server (on Altis) even with 4-5 people, as long as those 4-5 people are not admins or admin buddies and do not have special privileges, like spawning themselves stuff, or admin gives them a chopah, they fly and complete AI missions with it and then aquire tons of easy loot. Too many servers like that. Too many.

What's up with such rules like: no kamikaze into base, person, vehicle etc? Not doing this and that? Is it ARMA 3 or SIMPSONS SIMULATOR? I understand that some people "may" abuse it, but it just destroy all the fear and fun of the sandbox. What's the point if you can not do stuff in it? Also servers, showing your coordinates all the time. What's next, giving fresh people weapons at the start? Oh wait, it already IS a thing, tons of servers like that with "active admins+++++++.

It is as if Arma 3 is invaded by a bunch of pussies. If you want someone holding your hand all the time, go play COD or BF campaigns whatever. I hate this shit.

I'd put 3st person and and changed to HC mode only if I had at least 5 people who regulary play there so it would not be a waste of your server and resources. Or, I do not know, if all people who wanted hardcore could be gathered in one place (this thread) and then joined one single HC server it would be the best. But pipe dreams... pipe dreams :(

But yeah, only now I noticed that Epoch community is very small.

When I first started to play the Arma series, I couldn't stand 3rd person view. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to play using it; but the guys on the server told me about the advantages of it, so I tried it and have never gone back to first person. 

If any of you guys get up a FPonly server that attracts a decent population, I promise to give it a go. 

Hardcore will never be popular and it's boring.  Everyone camps waiting for someone to peak.  The only arma mod i enjoy in first person is King of the Hill.

but isn't it the problem with 3rd? I could be in a tower prone and you wouldn't know I am here, unlike in hardcore I would have to show myself in order to gather information about my surrounding. If I stay hidden I might as well just not play at all as I don't know where my enemies or friends are. This camping thing you described only applies to 3rd person, not 1st.

Now, like with all the games of Bugemia, their engine is quite clunky, as it is possible to glitch through textures, you are constantly getting stuck in doors etc. I hate this. And it seems they will never even try to fix it. And playing in 1st person it is very irritating.

Hardcore will never be popular and it's boring.  Everyone camps waiting for someone to peak.  The only arma mod i enjoy in first person is King of the Hill.

Hardcore was already popular in dayz mod and standalone.. the playerbase is just quite small in A3 epoch and it's hard to get a new server populated.

My dream would be an A3 Epoch Taviana Hardcore server but with the group icons still working :)

Is group system not working intentional on your server Badger or a hardcore feature? Makes it really hard to play with a big group of friends.

I think thats a feature of hardcore but im sure i can enable it.. i haven't tested the group system out yet but let me know what needs done and ill crack on and do it.

It just doesn't show group player hexagons after making a group.. it might work for like 5 seconds after login and then goes away.

I have an Bornholm with only 3rd person disablede, since it take the fun out of PVP

It doesn't take the fun out of it thou that's the thing! 

People want 3rd person because its easy.. driving is easy.. would be soo good in real life wars and combat situations if we had 3rd person enabled... tanks would be so much easier to navigate around... 

I've been watching these hardcore threads for some time, as I am also one of those people who only plays Arma in first person, so I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the whole Epoch - 3DP:ON v/s 3DP:OFF situation, and some general ramblings about the state of the mod atm. (I got carried away typing, what can i say :P )

The first Epoch server I put up as an Official Host before the server files went public was a hardcore Altis server, with all the group icons etc working as they should etc etc.

It was popular back then due to a limited number of servers for people to play on, which forced people onto the HC servers (UG and CPC's).  Generally people who played on our HC servers loved it because of the realiism of first person only, many of whom had never played on a first person only server before!

For a while we were averaging ~50/60 players,  then the server files were made public, and both my own and CPC's HC server populations died.

This was obviously because the server pool got diluted with hundreds of other servers, when the player population of Epoch wasn't there (yet) to support that many servers.

Both of us, UG and CPC persevered with our HC servers hoping that we would find those niche players that do not like 3DP.  -  Personally I find it completely unrealistic, I even played DayZ in first person on 3DP servers :P

I then switched map's to a map that was created for Arma3, Bornholm, in order to attract people after a different experience than the default A3 terrains.  We had hundreds of people come through our server in this time, but they baulked at it because it was hardcore. I have heaps of chat logs with people saying "what? no third person?" "user disconnected".

I have even been working with the Epoch Dev's to add official support to the map and to make it as functional as possible for Epoch and to try and raise it's profile within the Epoch world - it's already a popular map in milsim circles..

The populations we have had since the server pool got diluted from ~30 servers to 100's of servers has been mediocre at best and will continue to be this way until the mod comes into beta stage, becomes more feature complete (which the dev's are working on), picks up popularity and player numbers along the way.

In short I feel that a lot of people here expected another instant DayZ clone, and server operators expected instant popularity - You dont get things like these from an Alpha version of a mod, these things come later when the mod has matured past the beta stage and all the planned features from the developers have went from concept idea > alpha testing > beta stage development > added into the mod as a feature.

I personally think releasing the server files so soon was a bad move on the dev's part.  It has diluted the servers, and opened up an alpha version of a mod to the general public where they are adding(or attemping to add) scripts and functions from other Arma mods into Epoch, and therefore diluting the feedback and bug reports they recieve on the vanilla mod into one of pure confusion where it's harder to decipher if a bug or undesirable condition on a server is from Epoch code, or 3rd party addons/mods/scripts that people are trying to integrate into thier servers.

I'll continue to keep my vanilla Bornholm server online, supporting the Epoch devs with a vanilla server, and for now we switched back to 3DP, to gain more feedback from players that we can report to the Epoch devs.  Which in turn allows us and the other official hosts to offer our thoughts on any existing, planned and possible future features of Epoch, many of which have been taken aboard by the developers and some of which have been incorporated into Epoch already. :)

Good post, Uro, but I disagree on a few points.

Before the release of the files, the official servers were struggling to fill up. In fact, the times I played at, they were dead apart from one.

Communities modding their servers are, in my opinion, the reason why Epoch has any full servers at all.

Regarding server dilution, I can assure you natural selection will prevail, as the mod evolves through beneficial mutations. Vanilla will be merely a fossil, found right at the very bottom of the list among all the zeroes. They won't be sustainable and will die off.

I know the dev's idea was to create an accommodating vanilla; and hopefully they'll create their own attachable mods too. But during this development stage, people don't have the patience to wait, and set about changing it themselves. As much as it might piss off the purists, it actually is beneficial for the mod.

Good post, Uro, but I disagree on a few points.

Before the release of the files, the official servers were struggling to fill up. In fact, the times I played at, they were dead apart from one.

Communities modding their servers are, in my opinion, the reason why Epoch has any full servers at all.

Regarding server dilution, I can assure you natural selection will prevail, as the mod evolves through beneficial mutations. Vanilla will be merely a fossil, found right at the very bottom of the list among all the zeroes. They won't be sustainable and will die off.

I know the dev's idea was to create an accommodating vanilla; and hopefully they'll create their own attachable mods too. But during this development stage, people don't have the patience to wait, and set about changing it themselves. As much as it might piss off the purists, it actually is beneficial for the mod.

Guess that may be timezone-dependent, there were several official EU-servers that were full (including ours, uro's, mgt (they were official back then) and cpc's).

Guess that may be timezone-dependent, there were several official EU-servers that were full (including ours, uro's, mgt (they were official back then) and cpc's).

It most certainly was a factor from my perspective, but one would expect North America to wake up, as Europe wound down ready for bed. It never did, well, until Mell's House shot to the top of charts, but I would never know what percentage of their players were from Europe. 

No disrespect here Tobias, as I like you as a coherent contributor on here, but out of the servers you mentioned, there's only MGT that are highly populated. I like to think this proves my point posted above...those rogues at MGT with their mods and indestructible cinder, (which I urged them to adopt) are doing just fine. 

The lesser community's like ourselfs don't get any population as theres not that many new players on epoch.. but bring something new and you might get players for a week or 2 then get bored as there's no other players on the server.. i brought a hardcore server to the table.. its like Marmite thou.. love it or hate it.. 

It most certainly was a factor from my perspective, but one would expect North America to wake up, as Europe wound down ready for bed. It never did, well, until Mell's House shot to the top of charts, but I would never know what percentage of their players were from Europe. 

No disrespect here Tobias, as I like you as a coherent contributor on here, but out of the servers you mentioned, there's only MGT that are highly populated. I like to think this proves my point posted above...those rogues at MGT with their mods and indestructible cinder, (which I urged them to adopt) are doing just fine.

Oh certainly, these days MGT is the only server that manages to fill the quota, no doubt. But before the server-files were released, the ones I mentioned were very much full.