System specs for server?

GiantUnicorn

Question

Hello, I was thinking of hosting an additional DayZ Epoch server (with Panthera) and I have a system standing around. My question is if it would be powerful enough to host a epoch server 50+ slots

System specs

AMD Opteron 8 Cores, 8x 2.3 GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM

1x 120GB SSD 550 r/w

1x 1TB SATA

100Mbit inet connection.

10 answers to this question

Hello, I was thinking of hosting an additional DayZ Epoch server (with Panthera) and I have a system standing around. My question is if it would be powerful enough to host a epoch server 50+ slots

System specs

AMD Opteron 8 Cores, 8x 2.3 GHz

16GB DDR3 RAM

1x 120GB SSD 550 r/w

1x 1TB SATA

100Mbit inet connection.

Even with 8 Cores the CPU is way to slow. You need atleast 3,0Ghz on each core to get smooth gameplay.

Arma only uses 2 cores, one for the server one for the ai (if you got them), then the os will need a core or two and your MySQL, Apache, Misc will need some room. 8 cores are fine, but doesnt help with Arma. Everyone here is correct that 2.3 GHZ is slow for a Arma 50+ slot server, but just because you have 50 slots does not mean the will be filled. I suggest go for it, host it and see what happens. If you go with stock epoch then you should be generally fine and their will be some FPS drop, but it will be playable. You have more than enough RAM, that SSD is awesome, and your sig and post suggest you already have a working server. Use this server as a test bed, mirror your setting with the other one and when updates come test them out on the secondary server. You will have a production server, and a test server and less down time for your users, win win.

Arma only uses 2 cores, one for the server one for the ai (if you got them), then the os will need a core or two and your MySQL, Apache, Misc will need some room. 8 cores are fine, but doesnt help with Arma. Everyone here is correct that 2.3 GHZ is slow for a Arma 50+ slot server, but just because you have 50 slots does not mean the will be filled. I suggest go for it, host it and see what happens. If you go with stock epoch then you should be generally fine and their will be some FPS drop, but it will be playable. You have more than enough RAM, that SSD is awesome, and your sig and post suggest you already have a working server. Use this server as a test bed, mirror your setting with the other one and when updates come test them out on the secondary server. You will have a production server, and a test server and less down time for your users, win win.

My dev server is running

• Intel® Xeon® E3-1230v3, Quad-Core
  • 16 GB DDR3-RAM
  • 2x 2,000 GB SATA II HDD
  • Windows 2008 R2

Even with 8 Cores the CPU is way to slow. You need atleast 3,0Ghz on each core to get smooth gameplay.

we have 2x 50player Dayz Server = 80player in primetime with:

• AMD Opteron™, 8 Cores, 8x 2,3 GHz
  • 24 GB DDR3-RAM
  • 2x 120 GB SSD, 80K IOPS

working smooth and fine no lag and desync = 0  :)

My dev server is running

• Intel® Xeon® E3-1230v3, Quad-Core
  • 16 GB DDR3-RAM
  • 2x 2,000 GB SATA II HDD
  • Windows 2008 R2

That I7 Xeon is nice, curious, do you rent or own your hardware?

I'm running custom hardware with a 6 core AMD Opteron @ 3.1ghz and 32gb of RAM. Currently I have 7 OS's installed running 5 Minecraft servers, 5 TS3 servers, 6 web servers, 1 TF2 server, once 4 DayZ servers, but now 1 heavily modded Epoch server. And the only problem I currently have is my two 2tb 7200rpm HDDs in RAID1 isn't enough IOPS for it all. But, I own all my hardware and the hosting fees are keeping me from affording a SSD right now. And DayZ runs like a dream.