Suggestion: Territories

cring0

What I was thinking the last couple days, and I know this is probably out there, but to have some sort of territory system.  I haven't thought it out too much, but this is what I've imagined so far:

- Altis broken up into designated territories.

- I was thinking that territories could be claimed with the jammers, but rather craft a territory marker, maybe they could even be some sort of small building.

- You have to be in a group to put a territory marker down.

- Anyone can pull the territory marker up, so you need to secure it.

- Which ever group has the most markers in the territory claims it and group name is displayed within territory on the map.

I don't know if that would be possible in Arma, and even if it was, I'm sure it would be a crap ton of work.. but I think it would make things sooo much more interesting and it would better utilize the large map.  I'm sure, if this could be done, some of the map designers might even come up with some new map designs that better suit this sort of dynamic.

Yeah... so I've been playing KOTH lately.  I know these other mods revolve around it and some people would see it as straying away from being an original mod, but I think it could really add a lot to Epoch.  What's left to do once you build your base?  There would be a reason to attacking someones base other than "griefing" or stealing.  There would be more reasons to make allies and group up.  If larger groups were formed based on territory, those who belonged would be safer to loot in the territory since those who are outsiders wouldn't be marked(in the group).  This has ALWAYS been an issue in Epoch, people just KOS, even if that person might be a known friendly to them, because who knows who they are(if they aren't in a group.)  It would give a reason for larger groups of people to work together and not just shoot each other on sight even if they're neighbors.

Like I said, I haven't exactly meditated on this and I haven't really seen any criticism other than, "oh other game types and mods are doing the same thing."  Also, again, I'm not sure if it's even doable and I know it would really change some things, even the identity of the type of mod Epoch is.  Oh, and WAY more work for the devs, I'm sure they'd like that idea. =P

EDIT: Damn, I guess I can't change this into a pole..  I'm sure it will just get shot down anyways.

Wasteland has it and Breaking Point is working on a type of territory battle so Epoch should chose something different i´d say.

Different like what?  Is your argument that there would be a downside to having territories?  If so, explain.  Or are you just saying that because these other mods and game types have this type of dynamic that Epoch should just stay away from it.. for the sake of being original?

Anything that adds a team playing concept to the Arma mods should always be welcomed. The problem always stems from the same people and thats the ones who refuse to team play and go all out to destroy everyone elses game play.

Personally I don't like "territories" as some sort of in-game measure, ie. zones that somehow are defined showing on the map or otherwise being "visible" by some magical means. What I would love though is for players to place flags or signs on the server, that can be taken down or destroyed. 

For example if CLAN DYSKLEKTIC has built a base, they should be able to construct a flag, and create different types of flagpoles that they can place, as well as sign posts they can place. 

When the choice is between magical stuff and things that "seem" more real, always opt for the latter imo (invisible magical safezones belong in this category as well imo).

I don't see the need for markers.
There will be bases and those will mark the territory.
You know you better stay away or be prepared to shoot or be shot :)

And there is already grouping so those in the same team know they are together.

So... I don't mean to be offensive or other, but I don't really see the need for that.

Different like what?  Is your argument that there would be a downside to having territories?  If so, explain.  Or are you just saying that because these other mods and game types have this type of dynamic that Epoch should just stay away from it.. for the sake of being original?

Don´t know but would it not be nice to have the mods be a little bit different from each other? Or should every mod include more or less identical gameplay for the sake of squeezing as many missions as possible in.

fisk has a good idea regarding capture the flag.

Personally I don't like "territories" as some sort of in-game measure, ie. zones that somehow are defined showing on the map or otherwise being "visible" by some magical means. What I would love though is for players to place flags or signs on the server, that can be taken down or destroyed. 

For example if CLAN DYSKLEKTIC has built a base, they should be able to construct a flag, and create different types of flagpoles that they can place, as well as sign posts they can place. 

When the choice is between magical stuff and things that "seem" more real, always opt for the latter imo (invisible magical safezones belong in this category as well imo).

Yeah, I think I agree with you, especially when it comes to keeping things more realistic.  However, implementing a way to put up custom flags would probably be more difficult than what I was proposing.  I guess they could allow you to add a small image to the group and use that, but that would probably add more to mission files.  It would probably just be one flag used by all to imply that the area is claimed..

I do like the idea of flags and such.  However, doing it this way isn't very uh.. obvious, especially for noobs who don't know what the hell is going on, who is who, and what area of the map is safer for them, etc.  Again, it was just an idea I was kicking around for a couple days.

Don´t know but would it not be nice to have the mods be a little bit different from each other? Or should every mod include more or less identical gameplay for the sake of squeezing as many missions as possible in.

fisk has a good idea regarding capture the flag.

Well I mean, Epoch is already way different, adding something like this wouldn't really make it that similar to these other mods/game types, but I see your point.

My thinking was simply that, instead of having people pointlessly PvPing and/or base griefing, there could be a reason for battles and it could make things way more interesting.  People run out of things to do and get bored and start running around "wrecking" people for no real reason other than maybe the thrill of the hunt.  With territories, the motive would be more towards conquering the map and holding it, or just carving out a chunk of it for you and your buddies, trading with other groups, etc.

The flag pole could be easily implemented, already you can see your clan logo on uniforms and vehicles