plotpole preventing de-construction - bug?

ekroemer

Question

Hi there,

As I understand it the presence of a plot pole shall make the de-construction of items within its range more difficult and indeed the required number of de-construction stages is increased and you can break your toolbox/crowbar during the process.

But a user came to me with a bug report: he had placed his pole, then placed a H-Barrier to prevent the plot from being overrun. The user then died and is now (by design) treated like any other.

He had to de-construct the H-Barrier first in order to reclaim his plot pole but here he failed: after having completed all de-construction stages (16?) without a message about tool breakage instead of getting the H-Barrier in his inventory he got a message aka 'cannot deconstruct, plotpole present'.

Is this supposed to be that way? I thought anyone _can_ deconstruct parts, only with greater effort if a pole is present. I have personally verified that you are able to de-construct a pole that you have set in an earlier life, itself. Why does this not work for other items?

This way my user is stuck: the pole doesn't give a deconstruction-menu as long as the H_Barrier is enveloping it and the barrier cannot be removed as long as the pole is present.

9 answers to this question

I'm not sure this is a bug. The plotpole prevents deconstruction, and must be replaced after a player's death.

I do think the plotpole and deconstruction requirements should be tied to playerGUID and not character ID.

The user could simply destroy the barrier(or the plotpole) to solve the issue.

1.0.2 changelogs says

[CHANGED] Removed plot pole requirement to build. Plot pole is still used to prevent others from building and to increase item deconstruction times.

The increase in time (stages) I can see, but if a newer changelock has stated that deconstruction is completely impossible now, I've missed that. Have I?

Wow, yeah I think you're right. What's the point of building if anyone can just deconstruct your stuff given enough attempts and toolboxes?

As some others mentioned, it's almost to the point where you might as well only invest anything(time, gold) into safes. They're the only 'secure' option.

On our server I find the deconstruction option is not as destructive as one might think. Deconstructing a H-Barrier with a protective plot pole takes a lot of stages, each with a chance to break tools.

It is not impossible to take down a base if you have a truck full of spare toolboxes and crowbars but it is boring and inconvenient and I haven't heard complaints of our users, yet.

So that problem is way down on my list of most hated night-troll actions - running around and shooting every locked vehicle you find seems a much more attractive 'sport'.

On our server I find the deconstruction option is not as destructive as one might think. Deconstructing a H-Barrier with a protective plot pole takes a lot of stages, each with a chance to break tools.

It is not impossible to take down a base if you have a truck full of spare toolboxes and crowbars but it is boring and inconvenient and I haven't heard complaints of our users, yet.

So that problem is way down on my list of most hated night-troll actions - running around and shooting every locked vehicle you find seems a much more attractive 'sport'.

that's why every night you run a repair tool on ya database to fix all the damaged vehicles :)