High CPU usage on one core

Markokil321

Question

Hello,

I currently run a dedicated server hosting 1 dayz instance and two teamspeak servers on it. DayZ Server is running 1.0.5.1 with the new 125548. My problem is that i am getting very high CPU usage only on one core, and the rest will sit well below 25%. Total usage never exceeds 25%.

8e050ce1e7045936432c1aa3ca7e0ae1.png

These results are while we have 40 people on dayz, and approx another 20 on the teamspeaks. Is there any reason why the server is only utilizing one of the cores highly, and the rest don't really do much?

My startup params:

start "arma2" /high "%ServerExecutable%.exe" -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=2047 -port=%ServerPort% "-config=%ServerSettings%\config.cfg" "-cfg=%ServerSettings%\basic.cfg" "-profiles=%ServerSettings%" -name=%ServerSettings% "-mod=%ServerMods%"

Dedicated Server Specs:

a1948fc6c94d12f797a33e965a56b83a.png

With 300Mbps Up and Down speeds.

Any advice is appreciated, tell me if this is normal and nothing to worry about.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Remove these two: 

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

After that, right click the server in the processes list and assign the affinity. This works pretty much in the same way as the one above. However, Arma 2 is not known for working on more than 2 Cpus. Assigning it 7 extra threads will not make it better. Remove it or lower it.

You could change the cpuCount to 2 if you dont want to use the affinity.

-cpuCount=2

I can tell you right now that this is not normal and you must have some settings wrong. 

These are my startup parameters atm:

-port=4444 "-config=Configs\instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg" "-cfg=Configs\instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg" "-profiles=Configs\instance_11_Chernarus" -name=Configs\instance_11_Chernarus "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@hive;" -noSound -noCB -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi

You should want to use another memory alocator btw. Assign it to either system or the one I use, I have found that they use less memory than the others and dont crash my servers that often.

Turning off Hyper Threading is one thing that may work, however it may requrie access to the BIOS and should only be done as a last resort of if you know what you're doing. LARA is a good tool to do this with.

i will give what you suggested a shot, will change things one by one to see what works best.

However i thought tbb4malloc_bi was already the default memory allocator? :o

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Custom_Memory_Allocator

Default allocator used by engine after build 1.60.87645 is based on Intel TBB 4 (see details about tbb4malloc_bi below)

Thanks