[Suggestion] Stripping Cars All the Way Down to Dead

happysan

First, I just want to thank the Epoch team for making an awesome mod.  We are having a blast.  Most players on my server like the salvage option.  It's cool to be in a HMMV and drive by a Hello Kitty smart car, disembark, strip it for four wheels and as much glass as it has.  But, we get back in the car and drive on, leaving this sad car on blocks.  

For the next guy driving/walking past Hello Kitty, It's not worth going back to Hello Kitty with four new tires and a jerry can.  Better to keep running and looking for that next ride that is at least worth the effort to repair.  So, you end up eventually with a server that's full of hello kitties on blocks.  And, there's no easy way to go through the database and remove these useless cars because the hitpoints are all over the place namewise (and many in czech).  

Could we add one or any of the following to make salvaging better?

1.  Salvage the body of the car using the crowbar/hatchet/sledgehammer (not released yet).  The salvage process would be similar to the harvesting of wood and take longer on "bigger" cars e.g., hello kitty is a 3 step salvage and the Ikarus bus is a 12 step salvage.   When finished, (1) the car turns into the burning hulk/debris model with damage = 1.0000 in the database and (2) you get a pile of scrap metal just like you do when you chop down a tree with wood piles.  

2.  Easily torch cars.  Add another player action which says "set the car on fire."  Requires toilet paper and gas in the car.  Again this would result in damage = 1.000 which would remove it from the database.  People are stupidly destructive and will hopefully clean up more cars this way.  

Any other thoughts from the community?  Do you have this problem?  Is this even a problem?  Thanks in advance!!! :D

I'm pretty sure that the dev team couldn't salvage more than just windscreen and tires because the damage system would make the car blow up and kill the salvager.

That being said, it would be nice if you could salvage cars hull, engine parts or fuel tanks, providing they are above 75% health. If you salvage that component they drop to 10% health on the car and you get said component in the inventory. IT would work completely different than the current salvage system but the player wouldn't really notice.

I'm pretty sure that the dev team couldn't salvage more than just windscreen and tires because the damage system would make the car blow up and kill the salvager.

That being said, it would be nice if you could salvage cars hull, engine parts or fuel tanks, providing they are above 75% health. If you salvage that component they drop to 10% health on the car and you get said component in the inventory. IT would work completely different than the current salvage system but the player wouldn't really notice.

Incorrect. Its possible to salvage anything from the vehicle as long as hit has the hitpoint for it. The way it is I believe is for balance, as I've played on servers with salvage everything. All it does is cause every vehicle to be stripped down to bare bones over time, as players would rather do that as its faster than finding parts.

Im in favor of having salvageable engine, scrap, or fueltank, ONLY if the part health is 15% or below, and after removing it the damage is set to 1 in the database afterwards and the vehicle is disabled so that a new one spawn afterwards. However, I do prefer the way it is right now as it forces you to scavenge and loot to find parts, as which is part of survival. The game shouldn't be made too easy.

Incorrect. Its possible to salvage anything from the vehicle as long as hit has the hitpoint for it. The way it is I believe is for balance, as I've played on servers with salvage everything. All it does is cause every vehicle to be stripped down to bare bones over time, as players would rather do that as its faster than finding parts.

Incorrect, according to the wiki, which at the moment is not open to editing by general users.

This page http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php/Salvage_Parts states ..."The only salvageable parts on cars are tires and windshields this is due to a limitation in the way vehicles are damaged in DayZ such that if an engine or fuel tank is removed (therefor taken to 100% damaged) the vehicle will explode killing the player."

If someone has this working otherwise, they have made some major revisions to the inner workings of the system.

Incorrect, according to the wiki, which at the moment is not open to editing by general users.

This page http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php/Salvage_Parts states ..."The only salvageable parts on cars are tires and windshields this is due to a limitation in the way vehicles are damaged in DayZ such that if an engine or fuel tank is removed (therefor taken to 100% damaged) the vehicle will explode killing the player."

If someone has this working otherwise, they have made some major revisions to the inner workings of the system.

Come play on my server and salvage a fuel or engine.  You will not die.

Sorry man you are wrong. It Is possible to remove engines and fuel tanks and scrap. You are correct in that Epoch just doesnt use that system, which we all know already, hence the players suggestion to add the other parts as removable.

You can use third party scripts not in epoch to do this. I do not post information unless I am 95% confident that it is correct. At least you do some research, but you need a broader scope to find this: http://opendayz.net/threads/strip-vehicles-for-parts.7986/

One issue with this code is that some damage values become bugged out, and a vehicle will be missing repair options, and even if it shows all green on the driver seat, something is still damaged and the vehicle will never be functional. It wound need to be destroyed to set damage to 1 in the database, and heli's would be bugged indefinately until cleaned up by server or destroyed by crashing something into them.

ss_remove.swf it allows removing of all car parts. I've played on servers in the past with this, and used it on my old taviana server. So I know what I'm talking about. Try not to spread misinformation, I've read many posts of yours with incorrect information. Instead do as you did in your post in this thread, do some research, and find the most information possible to share with everyone. And thanks for that link, it could be something to do with the way epoch removes vehicle parts, but I know origins did it without causing the bug I mentioned above, and they even made it so that if the engine of a car is red, and you start it up, it will then explode after a bit due to it being damaged. This led players to 'bait' others with cars they removed the engine from, so that when they started it, the car acted like a car bomb.

i think i have a workaround for the exploding problem. use a similar system to removing wrecks. once all salvagable items are removed from a vehicle there wil be an option to gut it.

this will be a 3 step process like removing a wreck but instead of one random item it will run a success check on fuel tank, engine, and scrap metal. once it determines what you can salvage the car will simply be deleted and the items if any will be deposited in your inventory. basically combine the three salvaging options that cannot be performed into one 3 stage operation and than delete the vehicle instead of removing the parts and simply spawn new items in the inventory