Help Installing Epoch on a dedi box running Ubuntu

neiljb

Question

Hi, myself and my friend Steve have an OVH dedi box we use to run minecraft servers from. Its being totally under stretched ATM and we would like to run an Epoch server from it, mainly because we are tired of waiting for dayzpriv to update our server, and also so we can have full control over the running of our server without all the BS restrictions placed upon us by using such a hosting company.

Does anyone have any guides for installing a dayz (more specifically Epoch) server on a linux box? I have been doing some research for the last couple of days and most of the guides I have found are old and outdated and for very old versions of vanilla dayz.

The box is running Ubuntu and we already have a Mysql server setup. As far as I understand we need wine to run the server but I am unsure whether we need a GUI, ideally we would like to avoid this as they are kinda resource hungry although the box we have is pretty powerful so if we do need one its not that big of a deal.

Any help/tips/links from fellow linux server owners would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ps. I forgot to mention that I already have a server setup and running correctly from my windows PC so that part is covered, its just getting the environment on the box setup ready to run the server which we could do with a little help with.

DISPLAY=:1 WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:\Games\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\IE1.exe" "-port=2302" "-config=C:\Games\Server\IE1\config_XXXXXXXX.cfg" "-cfg=C:\Games\Server\IE1\basic.cfg" "-profiles=C:\Games\Server\IE1" "-BEpath=C:\Games\Server\IE1\BattlEye" "-name=epoch" "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;" -noPause -noSound -cpuCount=4 -maxMem=4096 -bandwidthAlg=2 -exThreads=7
ls -l ~

This will show you your users home directory and hidden files

U wil notice a .wine directory

So if u look in

~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/

That is your c:\,  u have to remember wine is an emulator so u will need to either symlink Arma into ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/

Or move the files inside there.

-------------------------------

DISPLAY:-1

Is just setting a system variable so when cron launchs the restart server script, a variable is passed to wine to tell it which display to use.

This will depend on your virtual x11  / virtual desktop setup u are using

WINEDEBUG=-all

This is just turning off some of wine's debug to help try & improve server performance.

So basicly when u type

wine <everything else afterwards>

<everything else afterwards> = the command u would use on a windows server.

Change the directory locations to whereever u have your battleye directorys etc... i just showed u an example.

I used a custom direcotry setup so i had arma located in 1 place.

And all my server configs / logs are located in another directory, and the servers are named internally as IE1 + IE2  short for ireland 1 + ireland 2.

This is to make my life easier, u need to edit the script to suit your setup i.e whatever u would use on a windows server.

----------------------

Anyway, sounds like u have a typo mistake and left an " open somewhere...  its still waiting for u finish the input before it runs wine.

Wanna test it simplier, think simple just try & launch arma with no options passed to it i.e

DISPLAY=:1 WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:\Games\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\IE1.exe"

Okay my final question is, what is this ; "-config=C:\Games\Server\IE1\config_XXXXXXXX.cfg" refering to? I dont have that config in my files but I have basic, and config.cfg. Thanks.

Also I got the plain server running, but its just arma 2. Thanks so much for helping!

Another thing is, I join it and its to a normal arma 2 game even though I start it with the -mod tag including dayz epoch and stuff. How do I fix this as I dont want players to have to vote for dayz epoch every reboot.

It refers to your config.cfg file u should rename it with some random chars, to make it harder to guess.

Its to prevent hackers from from running a script to read your config.cfg to get the admin password etc...

The config file will have the mission etc to loadup... should be one in the server files for epoch i believe

It refers to your config.cfg file u should rename it with some random chars, to make it harder to guess.

Its to prevent hackers from from running a script to read your config.cfg to get the admin password etc...

The config file will have the mission etc to loadup... should be one in the server files for epoch i believe

Awesome!! The server started fully, but on version 1.0.1.1 of epoch. I dont know why, im going to test this right now and get back to you here.

I downloaded the server files from here im not sure why its such a lower build.

:/ when I just tried to reup the files, it messed with something and now it doesnt even show the 1.0.1.1 version anymore just plain arma 2. And I crash when joining the server under "Cannot open file C:\User\User\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\tmp\_cur_mp.pbo"

Ugh nothing I am trying is working. Its up as of right now, but cant join due to the error. but about 20 minutes ago, it was up fully, but on version 1.0.1.1 downloaded from HERE. I dont know whats going on. I tried to update them, and now this happend. Its not the startup code im looking through it, its taking my config file just fine as its catching my name in DayZ Commander, but other than that its just stuck.

I just had a friend join, and he has the same exact issue as me. Same error and everything. I have the console open on the virtual desktop, it just shows "User has connected" then shortly after "User disconnected" and "All users disconnected, waiting for users."

I hate being so close, I mean it started just fine but it was a later version, I tried to update it and BAM it blew up D:

N

look @ your hive & rpt logs and see what its complaining about

No logs as far as I can see. I looked in the instance_11_chernarus folder (default epoch folder) and the main arma 2 OA folder and nothing.

I just ran the server, tried to join, and nothing. I cant even seem to get it back to just 1.0.1.1 epoch. Its just not co-operating.

Not really sure to do (still) at this point. I can't beleive it was working about 2 hours ago, and now its just deadlocked.

I looked up the error, and litterally no one has a solution for this issue.

Heading to sleep now, thanks again for all your help as im sure you could be doing other things with your time besides helping step by step with this, as I dont know much about wine.

Showing 1.0.1.1 is probably just the entry in the config file, doesn't necessarily mean you are running that version. The config file should be in the 'instance_' folder, as is the arma2oaserver.RPT log file that you are looking for.

The config file is there, yes. But the RPT log is not.

The only file/folders I have is; BattleEye, Whitelister, basic.cfg, rotate_logs.bat, config.cfg, HiveExt.ini. Thats all I have in the folder.

This is my config, I dont see any option to make it a higher version.. but when the config is generated that host name is DayZ Epoch (1.0.1.1/arma version) and I changed it to what I have below. I started a server on my PC, but it was also 1.0.1.1 and I downloaded from this site several times and even the zip says its 1.0.2.3. Its not just in the hostname, its in dayz commander under the dayz mod version.

hostName = "PizzaKraft DayZ Epoch [in-Dev]";
password = "";
passwordAdmin = "******";
maxPlayers = 40;
logFile = "server_log.txt";
voteThreshold = 0.33;
voteMissionPlayers = 3;
reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com";
timeStampFormat = "short";
motd[] = {"DayZ Epoch","Have fun!"};
motdInterval = 0;
vonCodecQuality = 11;
disableVoN = 0;
kickduplicate = 1;
verifySignatures = 2;
persistent = 1;
BattlEye = 1;
doubleIdDetected = "";
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";
onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)";
onDifferentData = "";
regularCheck = "";
requiredBuild = 103419;

class Missions
{
    class Mission1
    {
    template = "DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus";
    difficulty="regular";
    };

};

I think you need to include the version number in the host name for dayzcommader to launch/recognise the correct epoch version.

I just did.. and it still kicks me from the server because of missing _cur_mp.pbo, this issue persists with my friends who also can't join so I know its server side I just don't know how to fix it.

It shows version now. But I dont think that matters because I dont think its pulling epoch at all.

Delete your local cache (in users directory path) and try again.

Its not my computer with the issue, its the server and thats what Im trying to fix. I tried anyway and deleted it, and joined and still didnt work. Same error.

OKAY OKAY OKAY. ERROR FIXED. SERVER IS JOINABLE, AND ITS EPOCH CHERNARUS. Now another issue.. I can join the lobby, I see its epoch chernarus, but when I click okay to join in, it takes a while doing its loading process, and then crashes RIGHT when it says waiting for server to start authentication.

What do I do now that im as close as loading in game and actually playing, but right before that glorious spawn moment, it crashes. Tested two times. I cant see the console, either as it gets covered up by the error window (which gives no code)

EDIT- I moved the console window, and it shows it connecting to MySQL, then it just stops, gives me the error window saying application has stopped responding, and crash.

That's the hive (database connection falling to load) in Windows 7 and up you need to'unblock' the hive dll files, may be similar in wine ? Would be more inclined to suspect it not connecting to mysql.. Anything in Hivext.log ?

2013-09-29 14:28:36 HiveExt: [information] HiveExt f20dbd5b6625
2013-09-29 14:28:37 Database: [information] Connected to MySQL database localhost:3306/dayz_epoch client ver: 5.5.28 server ver: 5.5.32-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
2013-09-29 14:28:37 Database: [information] Connected to MySQL database localhost:3306/dayz_epoch client ver: 5.5.28 server ver: 5.5.32-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
2013-09-29 14:28:38 HiveExt: [information] Method: 307 Params: 
2013-09-29 14:28:38 HiveExt: [information] Result: ["PASS",[2013,9,29,13,28]]

Not sure what this means, but it looks like its working.

Should I change localhost to my box's IP? I know its the same but im not sure.

Use 127.0.0.1 can't go far wrong with that, unless Linux have invented their own localhost ip, which wouldn't surprise me :)

pass is good. Hive is connected..

Oh lawd im in game. Everything seems to be working alright.. will post back if any hiccups happen but THANKS AGAIN to everyone who helped!

Hello everyone,

im starting a new server firsttime based on wine.

Specs:

Debian 7 (OpenVZ Container)

Wine-unstable

4GB Ram

Two Cores

Just for testing.

Startparameters:

#!/bin/bash
pkill Arma2OAserver.exe
DISPLAY=:1 WINEDEBUG=-all wine "D:\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta\Arma2OAserver.exe" -port=2302 -noPause -noSound -cpuCount=4 -maxMem=4096 -bandwidthAlg=2 -exThreads=7 "-config=D:\epoch_server\config.cfg" "-BEpath=D:\epoch_server\BattlEye" "-cfg=D:\epoch_server\basic.cfg" "-profiles=D:\epoch_server" -name=epoch_server "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

So the server is running BUT:

The startup time is horrible, it takes about 15min, havnt watched the clock now. The hive is loading from the db, in that time you can join but you got the blackscreen and you are in the debug wilderness. After he finished loading everything is fine excepted of a few minor ping spikes, but i think that is again the db :/

DB is mysql running on the same maschine.

The next and realy big problem is, that i cant install BattleEye. Wine wont start the Setup.

When i start it this happens:

arma@arma:~/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead$ DISPLAY=:1 wine Expansion/beta/Setup_BattlEyeARMA2OA.exe

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in isn't supported and may not work as expected
wine: failed to update /home/arma/.wine with /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine-unstable/wine/../share/wine-unstable/wine.inf: No such file or directory
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in isn't supported and may not work as expected
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
arma@arma:~/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead$

So wine misses a file/directory, i will have another look to fix that, but i dont think i can.

Everything else is just running fine.

Thanks all

U could have just FTP your battle eye dll to the server

Debian isn't the easiest Linux distro for users.

Plus it's software updates aim to be stable and lag behind abit latest

I.e MySQL is 5.1. Latest is 5.5

Personally I rather not pay extra a month for a windows server license. When it takes an extra few days to tweak it run on Linux

Even when it does run on linux the performance is no where near as good as running in windows for the same hardware specs. We had our server running on the linux box for a couple of months and with 50-60 players online things weren't great. On the windows box with almost identical hardware though, things are much better. :) 

Just copying the dlls hadn`t worked :/

But maybe im just dumb.

Im trying to learn everything, but im strugeling around with wine :\

Im not a linux noob cause my root and homeserver are both running it and im on my way to become an it professional. So at work linux is domnating too.

But wine and arma is driving me nuts.

Please help me or i have to setup a win vm :(

Just to let you guys know, we gave up on linux and moved to a windows box, it was the best decision we ever made lol. Server performance is vastly improved with similar hardware specs and things are a million times easier to set up. :)

A shame as it would have been good to have a good guide for installing on Linux, though not entirely surprised. The whole thing has been designed on, and run on windows. What's needed is a good windows & directx emulator, otherwise known as a windows install ;)

A shame as it would have been good to have a good guide for installing on Linux, though not entirely surprised. The whole thing has been designed on, and run on windows. What's needed is a good windows & directx emulator, otherwise known as a windows install ;)

Next week I will set up a server on Ubuntu 12.04 and give a walk-through on that, along with Debian.

There's a pretty good guide that I used to get mine and neil's installed and configured. The video section of the tutorial was a little hard to follow at times (I think the chap was German, and although his english was good, the accent made it a little hard to understand what he was trying to say).

Unfortunately wine would often encounter errors, sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 15 minutes which stopped players being able to join the server.

I'll admit, I would have loved to stay with linux but the constant problems with Wine just ruined it for everyone. IMO for the convenience, the Windows Server license is worth it.

I did support the Hive for Linux Server beta 1.62.102451  (Dayz 1.8.0.3) 
whithout callExtension support.

It's a simple replacement of callExtension on the diag_log output in @hive/addons/dayz_server.pbo.
This output can be processed in realtime through a unix pipes.

./server -server -mod="@hive_linux;@dayz" -config="cfgdayz/server.cfg" -cfg="cfgdayz/basic.cfg" -port=2302 -beta="expansion/beta;expansion/beta/expansion" -noSound -noPause -world=Chernarus -profiles=cfgdayz -name=cfgdayz -cpucount=4 -showscripterrors -pid=2302.pid 2>&1 | ./database_writer.pl

This is tested and proven to work on Debian Wheezy.

Please feel free to contact me If you are interested to use your Linux server.