[Suggestion] Oil Extraction and Refinement

Ballz

So my original idea of Logistics suggested the need to go out and collect and store what little fuel is out there.

But eventually when you have your base built you are going to want a ready source of fuel.

I was thinking you could purchase a surveying tool that can be used to search for underground pockets of oil and water. These pockets would have a varied amount and also the quality of the oil will vary. You might get lucky and find a pocket with a lot of water or oil.

Once you've found a well you will need to build some sort of extraction machine either a pump or oil rig.

Oil rigs would be automatic working over several hours, while the water pump would be a manual effort taking around an hour to pump out all of the water.

Water/oil would collect into an external tank which can then be transferred to a tanker or fuel truck for transport.

Once the extraction process has been completed the rig and pump can be deconstructed and reused elsewhere.

Once at your base you could use an upgraded version of a crafting table which I suggested before which I  called a workshop(powered by electricity) can be used to refine the oil into petrol, that can then be transferred into storage tanks that can be built at your base. Depending on the quality of your oil will dictate the quality of your petrol. For example poor quality petrol might not last as long and will degrade. Fuel that is degrading will just slowly drain from fuel tanks. Low quality fuel might not be as fuel efficient as say high quality.

Petrol, as well as fueling your vehicles can also be used to power your generators for workshop, lights etc.

What you think of sounds cool but i dont think its easy to implement in the game.

Well, I mean, there's oil processing/refinement in Altis Life and they could probably use the same sort of process, but yeah it would probably be a good deal of work implementing everything.  I like the idea though.  Hey, our boys are always working on something so you never know. ;)

This sort of processing could be awesome but I see that this could have other applications and could also mean that the processing ideas could blow out to a ridiculous level of things you could/need to collect and process. (for example breaking points, amount of items to repair vehicles)

maybe have to farm herbs to make painkiller's and medical supplies, (poppies and pot) maybe also add reasons to raid bases to collect drugs that were grown for the purposes of medical use and re-purpose them for post apocalyptic drug dealers. maybe a whole new trader for the drug trade.

a pit fall of farming, prospecting and gathering is the possible complexity that Arma 3 might not be able to easily maintain and also the dreaded "these ideas are like the mods for Minecraft"

but saying that, idea's can be inspired from so many places and keep the good idea flowing. in the end things usually benefit from a good forum of community feedback

I know takistan life has something like this, Would it be possible for someone to port the system from there?

If that was possible then you could change the required object to drill for oil from oil wells to something like a plot pole.

I think any kind of Port across from any other mod would be a breach of the MakeArmaNotWar Comp. plus I think The Epoch Dev team can code up any of the things they want to add with a high level of coding development. I think that can implement their own code into their code base and have no need to steal others.