playing sound files

Barnaldo

Question

Is there a way to put sound files into the server pbo and play them?

I know how to play them from the mission pbo, using cfgsoungs in the description.ext, then using playsound, but can i store the sound files inside the server pbo, and play them in an sqf from inside there that will play to all the players in the server?

Cheers.

6 answers to this question

you cant add sounds to a file that isn't sent to the clients, or they wont have the sound file to play. The reason the file is saved to the mission pbo/folder is so you can update the clients files with the sound...I assume you are trying to keep your mission file small, sadly your only options are to compress and optimize the oog that you use for the sound file. I have been able to take a 30 second file and compress it to about 80-100k. If you do manage to add the files to the server file by some miracle, the server start and will still grab them from the server.pbo and add them to the mission file you send to the client, other wise when the server/client tries to play the sound they will get an error to hear nothing.

Another option is to use the sound files built into arma, sadly there is no repository of all the files in arma2 and oa, and i dont knwo how to find them all and listen to them all.

you cant add sounds to a file that isn't sent to the clients, or they wont have the sound file to play. The reason the file is saved to the mission pbo/folder is so you can update the clients files with the sound...I assume you are trying to keep your mission file small, sadly your only options are to compress and optimize the oog that you use for the sound file. I have been able to take a 30 second file and compress it to about 80-100k. If you do manage to add the files to the server file by some miracle, the server start and will still grab them from the server.pbo and add them to the mission file you send to the client, other wise when the server/client tries to play the sound they will get an error to hear nothing.

Another option is to use the sound files built into arma, sadly there is no repository of all the files in arma2 and oa, and i dont knwo how to find them all and listen to them all.

Thanks for the info, thought that might be the case.

What did you use to compress the ogg files? I don't really need great quality audio for what I have planned, so compressing the files would be the next best route.

If I store them in the mission pbo, is it possible to call them to play from sqf files in the server pbo? I am trying to make some custom missions, that are in the server files, but I want to play sounds on completion of the mission etc, and since im using wickedAI as a template, I'd be using files in the server pbo.

yah, i was useing a trial software that was awesome, but the wanted $20 for a pice of software that did one thing...not worth it. Audacity is just a awesome, although it doesnt set the files al low as the software did. (20 to 40k diffrence) the audio does not degrade or lose clarity, just drops some of the useless information that you cant hear. All and all its awesome, 500k files down to less than 100k.