Ideal server conditions.

Akse0ne

Question

So I have a server,  

Now it has an intel Xeon 5650x processor (hexacore 2.66ghz) and about 10gb ram (aiming to upgrade to 24gb) 

What I was hoping to do was host Epoch in a VM and have another VM to host DCS Arma would be preferential so I wondered what would be needed to get a server running stable at 70 players. 

Also would a 10gb up connection be enough to host that many players? 

Thanks in advance :) 

3 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Akse0ne said:

So I have a server,  

Now it has an intel Xeon 5650x processor (hexacore 2.66ghz) and about 10gb ram (aiming to upgrade to 24gb) 

What I was hoping to do was host Epoch in a VM and have another VM to host DCS Arma would be preferential so I wondered what would be needed to get a server running stable at 70 players. 

Also would a 10gb up connection be enough to host that many players? 

Thanks in advance :) 

You can find some first hand input here https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/2o2qas/running_your_own_arma_3_server/cmjylxx
Probably need more memory and more bandwidth but give it a try...

On 21/05/2016 at 1:38 PM, He-Man said:

10gb should be enough! We have about 5gb upload at 60 players.

The Problem could be the CPU. You need as much mhz as you can get. The best atm is a core i7 @ 4 ghz or more, I think. More than 4 cores is nearly useless.

So the hexacore will have no effect at all? I might try overclocking it a little but with lack of water cooler for it I am afraid to do more harm than good xD