Akse0ne

Ideal server conditions.

Question

So I have a server,  

Now it has an intel Xeon 5650x processor (hexacore 2.66ghz) and about 10gb ram (aiming to upgrade to 24gb) 

What I was hoping to do was host Epoch in a VM and have another VM to host DCS Arma would be preferential so I wondered what would be needed to get a server running stable at 70 players. 

Also would a 10gb up connection be enough to host that many players? 

Thanks in advance :) 

3 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Akse0ne said:

So I have a server,  

Now it has an intel Xeon 5650x processor (hexacore 2.66ghz) and about 10gb ram (aiming to upgrade to 24gb) 

What I was hoping to do was host Epoch in a VM and have another VM to host DCS Arma would be preferential so I wondered what would be needed to get a server running stable at 70 players. 

Also would a 10gb up connection be enough to host that many players? 

Thanks in advance :) 

You can find some first hand input here https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/2o2qas/running_your_own_arma_3_server/cmjylxx
Probably need more memory and more bandwidth but give it a try...

On 21/05/2016 at 1:38 PM, He-Man said:

10gb should be enough! We have about 5gb upload at 60 players.

The Problem could be the CPU. You need as much mhz as you can get. The best atm is a core i7 @ 4 ghz or more, I think. More than 4 cores is nearly useless.

So the hexacore will have no effect at all? I might try overclocking it a little but with lack of water cooler for it I am afraid to do more harm than good xD

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Donnovan
      Hi,

I run my server in a Xeon E3 1240 v2 processor and it have this 3 configurations.

1) 4 cores at 3.6 Ghz each
      2) 3 cores at 3.7 Ghz each
      3) 2 cores at 3.8 Ghz each

Currently i'm using option 3).

I had take a look on more expensive Xeon processors, and most of it have Ghz slower than 3.8 (a lot slower!) but on the other hand they have more cores and more cache memory (a lot more!).

I feel stuck, since Ghz is the most inportant factor, i can't find nothing considerable better than 3.8 Ghz.

You guys know if more cache memory (15, 20 or even 35 mb!) can increase significantly the Epoch server performance?
      Those very expensive Xeon processors with 2.5 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz and more cache memory are a way to go?

Thankyou!
    • By RimBlock
      Hi,

I am currently spec'ing up the hardware for an Epoch server.

It will be Intel 55xx/56xx processor based (HP DL380 G6 I already have knocking around).

What is the max cores / threads ARMA II / Epoch can utilize ?.

I am looking at either dual X5570s (4 core) or X5650s (6 core).

More slightly slower cores or less faster cores ?.

From reading here I see someone mentioned that server instances are limited to 2GB ram, so ram is not really an issue in the server spec.

For storage,  What sort of size does the DB storage need and what sort of growth rate are people seeing ?.

Anyone running MySQL on a ram disk ?.  The server will take 48GB ram pretty cheaply so have 12GB for OS and application and 30GB as ramdisk with master slave replication to a second MySQL instance on a fast SSD array may be interesting.  UPS will be a must.

I am potentially looking at putting in a 1Gbit fibre connection so that will cover connectivity.

Any other advice / suggestions ?.

Thanks
  • Advertisement
  • Supporters
  • Discord