Dayz Epoch Server Setup.

AnthonyJr

Question

Hello, My name is Anthony I wanted to start a Dayz epoch server for some time now. I have a dedicated machine at OVH just sitting there doing nothing. I just have a few questions before I even attempt to set a server up.
1. Can the OS Hyper-V Server R2 (Windows) support dayz? 
2. What type of server specs is recommended to run a dayz server with around 20-30 players online?
3. Where can I find the correct server files needed to set a Epoch Server up?

4 answers to this question

1. Yes, np

2. I run 2 instances on a hyperv machine that is a dell highend desktop; 1 maxxed out very popular Panthera server, and a less populated Taviana one; neither process ever reaches 30% CPU load.  I restart every 3 hours.

3. This site, homepage, download the server files. Remember you also need to have the client files installed on the server (I use Commander for it) and download the bikeys. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb36ptxxoa3s04x/keys1.rar)

Things aren't too hard to figure out, since all you need for plain vanilla Epoch is these serverfiles, and edit the cfg files.
Drop the contents of the server files in your root gamefolder.
Choose an instance you want to run, goto the instance folder and edit hiveext.ini to point to your databaseserver, and config.cfg to set name etc.
Then start the supplied batchfile for that instance and go :)
If you read stuff about altering init.sqf, that file resides in gameroot\mpmissions\<your game instance>
Remember firewall settings, port forwarding and all the other goodies.

I bought a VPS at NFO and I am having a good time with it.

I put together a basic step by step for myself when I want to set up another map for my guys to play on. It has always worked for me, so this might give you some of the details to get you going. They are not extremely detailed for each step, like where each file location is, but again, it will get you pointed in the right direction.

Set up a DayZ Epoch Server

1.       Create the MasterFolder for the game server (ie C:\Epoch_Tavi)

2.       Copy Arma2 and Arma2 OA files to the new master folder (I used Steam to get the files)

3.       Unzip the Epoch Server and Client Files to master folder

4.       Unzip the appropriate map into master folder

5.       Create your database and import Epoch MySQL files

6.       Create your specific user for that database

7.       Edit the config.cfg file in your C:\MasterFolder\instance_##_map\

8.       Update your HiveExt.ini in your C:\MasterFolder\instance_##_map\

9.       Download the latest Battleye dll files and place in C:\MasterFolder\instance_##_map\Battleye

10.   Create a beserver.cfg file and place in C:\MasterFolder\instance_##_map\Battleye

11.   Copy whole  C:\MasterFolder\instance_##_map\Battleye folder and place copy in C:\MasterFolder\Expansion

12.   You can now start the server with the appropriate .bat file for your map in C:\MasterFolder\

You can stop here if you only need a dev or test server.

13.   Download BEC and follow install directions. Create a specific Config_NAME.cfg for this server

14.   Create a bans.txt file and place in C:\MasterFolder\instance_##_map\Battleye (can be blank)

15.   Configure Arma and Bec to run as services in FireDaemon

16.   Create .bat startup file and place in c:\Bat\ folder

17.   Configure MySQL (my.ini) and server.cfg (basic.cfg) files

18.   Set up above .bat file to run if server ever restarts (Task Scheduler)

19.   Create .bat files to backup database

20.   Set Windows task to run database backup .bat to run at desired interval (2hour?)

You can see from step 15 that I use FireDaemon to run the executables for the game and bec as services. You could do it another way if you so desire.

Each one of these steps has a detailed explanation for it somewhere on the internet, just do a search.

Anyway, hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.