Where is Epoch going into the future?

JigS4w

is there anywhere i can find out what the Devs have planed for epoch? some sort of teaser

as i run a vanilia Epoch server and have 10 regular players .(there are lots of empty servers)

but the modded servers are nearly always full.

are the devs looking at what mods these servers are running or are they sticking to a plan?

JigS4w

Can't speak for the Devs, but modding is allowed which, if the Devs take note, will provide the Devs with data on what features are more popular.

But it does speak volumes that modded servers are more populated. However, having it the way it is allows for a more diverse range of experiences from server to server.

He's running a vanilla Epoch server, which by official standards do not use any modifications. Once a mod is applied, it's not vanilla(plain). We run vanilla only as well, so I see where your coming from. It does seem there's a higher audience for modded servers currently, and especially ones that add in quite a large amount of content - mostly because people are wore out and will give anything a try at this point. These may always be more popular because of the added content alone.

The problem with most modifications/scripts, they do water down the game play and take much of the difficulty and harshness that DayZ is known for out of the picture. I've personally enjoyed the more hardcore side of DayZ, but as more and more people are introduced, like most games evolution tends to lean towards making things easier on everyone.

Quite. But wouldn't it be wonderful if Epoch came as one big adjustable game which allowed server owners to simply switch on or off the features that already appear in modded servers. Like God mode and tow for instance.

Such a thing would make it easier for people with less technical knowledge to start their own servers and be able to customise them without adding anything.

In a way it would be ideal to offer the most options available, such as toggle on/off popular scripts and have it bundled together. The problem I do see with this though, is it would slow down the development of the mod tremendously. There's not a full time studio pumping updates out - it's individuals doing it on their spare time which is beyond generous. So at the same time, it would require much more involved work to ensure with each change and update, all the extra scripts all function properly and are updated.

I'd personally prefer they focus on core aspects of Epoch, to ensure the mod is moving forward and coming up with further innovations - than spending time across many different tasks, and each coming out mediocre.

Just a thought and opinion of course. I do agree, but there's always something bad with a good.