Count Actual Lines of Code in a Project using bash

mgm

Question

Out of curiousity I wanted to count actual lines of code in my project.

I am aware of full blown sexy free software solutions such as CLOC but I wanted a quick one-liner; without requiring any installation, plus wanted it to be portable.

After a quick bash-fu I came up with a chained Cygwin bash command which might be useful to other curious scripters, so here it is:

#	method:	cat the whole line													| grep filter out any lines that contain //	| sed delete all tab and whitespace character-only lines | sed delete all empty lines | count number of lines with wc

#	count actual number of lines code for:		SERVER-SIDE CODE
cat /cygdrive/d/root/Arma_3_DS/mpmissions/mgmTfA__DEVELOPMENT_DIR/server-side/mgmTfA/Serverside/mgmTfA/*.sqf | grep -v "//" | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' -e 's/[ \t]*$//' | sed '/^$/d' | wc -l

#	count actual number of lines code for:		CLIENT-SIDE CODE
cat /cygdrive/d/root/Arma_3_DS/mpmissions/mgmTfA__DEVELOPMENT_DIR/client-side/mgmTfA.Altis/custom/mgmTfA/*.sqf | grep -v "//" | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' -e 's/[ \t]*$//' | sed '/^$/d' | wc -l

#	count actual number of lines code for:		(SERVER-SIDE) + (CLIENT-SIDE) CODE
expr `cat /cygdrive/d/root/Arma_3_DS/mpmissions/mgmTfA__DEVELOPMENT_DIR/server-side/mgmTfA/Serverside/mgmTfA/*.sqf | grep -v "//" | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' -e 's/[ \t]*$//' | sed '/^$/d' | wc -l` + `cat /cygdrive/d/root/Arma_3_DS/mpmissions/mgmTfA__DEVELOPMENT_DIR/client-side/mgmTfA.Altis/custom/mgmTfA/*.sqf | grep -v "//" | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' -e 's/[ \t]*$//' | sed '/^$/d' | wc -l`

Now I copy & paste the last line only to a Cygwin bash shell and pressing enter gives me actual number of lines of code in my project from multiple directories and SQF files.

Hope this helps.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet