Question about the Radios

Snakeyes

Greetings,

I searched the forum topics and I did not find an answer to this.

I picked up a quartz radio tonight and I added it to the radio slot in my inventory. Now when I cycle through the VON radio channels with the "." (period) key, I have all the usual channels (group, direct, vehicle) except side chat. It seems to have been replaced by "Radio (Quartz)." Is that how its supposed to work? I never noticed that before when I carried a radio. If that is correct, how do I chat over side chat since the radio communicates with other quartz radios?

Perhaps my server host control panel is bugged. I will look at the server files for the VON chat settings.

:huh:

I don't believe radio chat replaces side chat. I think I have been on servers where I had side and radio, but side is disabled by default so server owners have to enable it in the config files. But if you have side enabled, you should be able to access both. 

I don't believe radio chat replaces side chat. I think I have been on servers where I had side and radio, but side is disabled by default so server owners have to enable it in the config files. But if you have side enabled, you should be able to access both. 

My server hosts CP is probably bugged then. They have a side chat toggle on it. I'll check the server files and set it manually.

You are correct Nic. I looked in the description.ext file and I found that the side chat was disabled. After enabling it in the file I have side chat back again as well as the quartz radio.

disableChannels[] = {2,6};

0 = Global
1 = Side
2 = Command
3 = Group
4 = Vehicle
5 = Direct
6 = System

Radio quartz replaces the side chat, at least by default. The way I like to think about it is that if you want to talk to people who are outside of your group, you need to find a functional radio.

Interesting. I thought I had fixed that "issue" and I probably broke it instead. Like I stated above, even when I dropped the radio on the ground (no other radios in my inventory) my side chat did not work and the quartz radio was still listed when I cycled through the radio channels.

I think what @TheDanius means is that the radio channel is supposed to be the Epoch equivalent to side chat, not that you cannot have both at the same time.

I'm not sure it's practical not to have side chat though. New players joining the server would not be able to communicate with admins and other players. Currently I'm using the radios as well as side chat.