Halo Spawn in - setting height

drunkenjawa

Question

Hey guys

I was just wondering - with the old script for the Halo spawn in, there was a variable that you could set the height that someone started falling from, from the default 1000ft to whatever you want. Are we able to change this using the init.sqf file command? e.g. dayZ_paraspawn = true; 1500; or something like that?

12 answers to this question

Oh, the reason for this is that some players have pretty bung machines on our server, and are hitting the ground before they're able to get the option to pull the chute. So I thought setting this at say, 1500 or 2000 might help alleviate that problem without having to remove it all together, and disappoint the guys who actually love this feature (it's currently around 20% of the player base it's affecting)

Fixed this - in playermonitor.fsm find the following:

"if(dayz_paraSpawn and !(player isKindOf ""PZombie_VB"")) then {" \n
       "    player setPosATL [(_setPos select 0),(_setPos select 1),1000];" \n
       "    player setDir _setDir;" \n
       "    [player, 1000] exec ""ca\air2\halo\data\Scripts\HALO_init.sqs"";" \n
       "} else {" \n

And change the '1000' entry to your preferred spawn in height. This of course requires you to also use a custom player monitor, which might not be adviseable, so yeah do this totally at your own risk, I accept no responsibility for anything that might happen! Seems fine for me though for now. The way I set this up was as follows:

Open your Dayz_Code.pbo on client side in the Epoch folder - steam users will most likely be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\@DayZ_Epoch\addons

Extract player_monitor.fsm from the system folder inside this PBO

Create a new folder (if you don't already have one) called Custom (or whatever you want to name it, I call mine custom for all the custom scripts that go in there) in your root directory of your mission PBO

Paste the player_monitor.fsm into this new folder

Open player_monitor.fsm in your custom folder, and alter the height entry mentioned above to what you want. Don't ask me what a safe / max height is, I don't know. I have mine set to 2000 now though and it seems to be fine. Save file.

Open your init.sqf and find the line for your player_monitor, mine (unaltered, not custom) looked like this: _playerMonitor =     [] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\player_monitor.sqf";  

I commented this out only, so if anything goes wrong can easily fix it by uncommenting.

The new entry in init.sqf to replace this now should refer to our new player monitor in the custom folder, so mine now says:

_playerMonitor =     [] execFSM "custom\player_monitor.fsm";

I hope that helps anyone who might be trying the same thing! Admintools still work etc and as far as I've noticed so far, no side effects. If I notice any side effects I'll definitely update this post.

lol nice, and yeah, fresh spawns only would be great! Unfortunately I'm not all that clued up around that kind of area though.

You're almost there with your changes (I've done the same on my test server)!

If you look at the fsm, you can see there is a _isNew variable defined when it parses the character data in the previous steps, you can simply use this in the spawn code, e.g.:

if(dayz_paraSpawn and !(player isKindOf "PZombie_VB") and _isNew) then {} else {};

Good luck :)

If i wanted to do the paraspawn for fresh spawns only at 2000 meters this is the way to go?:

"if(dayz_paraSpawn and !(player isKindOf ""PZombie_VB"") and_isNew) then {" \n
       "	player setPosATL [(_setPos select 0),(_setPos select 1),2000];" \n
       "	player setDir _setDir;" \n
       "	[player, 2000] exec ""ca\air2\halo\data\Scripts\HALO_init.sqs"";" \n
       "} else {" \n
       "" \n

You're almost there with your changes (I've done the same on my test server)!

If you look at the fsm, you can see there is a _isNew variable defined when it parses the character data in the previous steps, you can simply use this in the spawn code, e.g.:

if(dayz_paraSpawn and !(player isKindOf "PZombie_VB") and _isNew) then {} else {};

Good luck :)

Awesome man! Thanks, I will try this tomorrow when I get back home :)

And yep Joerivang! That is what I'll be trying exactly :)

I'm curious, if there was a way to include a altimeter with the default para_spawn..

And spawn say 10,000m which should give any system or net the chance to login properly..

Say to use a storyline of.. you were flying over the country that had been infested with zombies and there was a aircraft accident, and you had to bail out, then and there

Bags

And spawn say 10,000m which should give any system or net the chance to login properly..

That is exactly what I tried. I raised the default height from 2000 to 9000m, but it seems that you still spawn at 2000m.

Is this the maximum height?

Changed this part in the player_monitor.fsm:

"if(dayz_paraSpawn and (freshSpawn == 2)) then {" \n

"    player setDir _setDir;" \n

"    player setPosATL [(_setPos select 0),(_setPos select 1),9000];" \n

"    [player,9000] spawn BIS_fnc_halo;" \n

"} else {" \n

"" \n