Axeman Lights or off in 1.0.2.3?

happysan

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm looking through the code and it looks like you're disabling Axeman's lighting system in the release.  Any reason?  From init.sqf near the end.  

if (!isDedicated) then {
	//Conduct map operations
	0 fadeSound 0;
	waitUntil {!isNil "dayz_loadScreenMsg"};
	dayz_loadScreenMsg = (localize "STR_AUTHENTICATING");

//Run the player monitor
	_id = player addEventHandler ["Respawn", {_id = [] spawn player_death;}];
	_playerMonitor = 	[] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\player_monitor.sqf";	
	_void = [] execVM "R3F_Realism\R3F_Realism_Init.sqf";

//Lights
	//[17,6,true,false,true,true,72,242,600,10,[0.698, 0.556, 0.419],"Generator_DZ",208,"",0.5] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\local_lights_init.sqf";
};

6 answers to this question

This is just a precaution. Some of the feedback from the last hive issue, the reason for patch 1.0.2.3, people were concerned that the lights may have been involved. As the lights don't touch the database I don't think this was related but as it's a new addition caution was preferred.

Please do enable them and any feedback would be great, I will be here to answer any questions or help with any issues. This version of the lights has been well tested. Large numbers of players is the only area where this hasn't been fully tested. Yet, all of the lighting work, by necessity of the Arma engine, is done on the players PC so increased numbers should not make any difference.

For an explanation of the settings see the wiki: http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lighting_System I prefer the option With Generator Requirement.. Street lights still work but a running generator is needed to light the nearby houses..

I have a fairly major update in the works with further optimisation of the code, general improvements to the lighting system and simplifying of the options. The amount of options currently is to allow for tweaking any problems without the need to patch the whole mod.

One new feature is light brightness will be based on distance from the player. This allows buildings at greater distance to be seen, accommodating for the restrictions in the Arma engine. It looks good when you can see a town in the distance after running for an age at nighttime..

Thanks, Axeman.  I'm going to reenable it, but set it to 100% on the lighting chance with no generator.  It's a noob server.  I have time randomized at restart with a bias toward daylight.  But, I will make sure it's night from 1:30p to 4pm Pacific if you want to jump on and test it out.  

I'll post feedback when i got something.  the guys are half stoked and half pissed about night.  :D