where do i find the editable .sqf's for scripts and map addons

Corper

Question

as you can tell im new to this and in my file manager here is where i believe the server files are: @DayZ_Epoch_Server\addons\dayz_server.pbo then i download and extract that and edit the server functions and mission.sqf is this correct?

such as \z\addons\dayz_server\missions\     i dont have folder 'z' in my filemanager?

4 answers to this question

Hello,

z is a prefix defined in a $pboprefix$ file in root of unbinarized PBO files (google for vbawol github for open source).

While the structure might be c:\games\arma2\@myMod\Addons\code.pbo game engine uses its own paths started from your @mod. Video in my sig explains this.

If you are using PBOManager, open up a PBO and click that blue cog wheel icon, you will see what I mean about prefixes

Other words, don't worrie about it :P

NOTE: In the * tutorial* i explain 2 ways on how to add the buildings to your server, server side and client side. I reccomend adding them server side.

There are 2 ways of adding buildings to your server, with the MPMissions folder (client side) or with the dayz_server.pbo (server side). People have full access to the MPMissions folder since, when they join your server, they download this folder. People do not have any access to the dayz_server.pbo since its server side only.

Finally, editing :)

So when you don't care if your Buildings get stolen or not, you could use the MPMissions folder, by editing the Init.sqf you can add them to your server.

Init.sqf

The init.sqf is located in your MPMissions folder, in your server's directory. Example; C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\DayZEpochServer\MPMissions\Init.sqf

Every body's path is driffent since every body likes to name their folders something else.

So once you've opend your Init.sqf, scroll all the way down (yes all the way down), and paste the line [] execVM "location of your builds\the buildings sqf file name.sqf";

Example mine is in my server folder, but say it was in my MPMissions foler, i keep it in a Addons folder, then a Buildings folder to keep it all organised and neet. So the path would be: [] execVM "Addons\Buildings\CustomBuildings.sqf"

You've got 2 important files in your server, the dayz_server.pbo and the MPMissions. dayz_server.pbo = server side only and the MPMissions is being downloaded by the client, giving him full access to the file. Putting addons (mods) in your MPMissions gives less stress to your server but when adding custom addons that no other server has, they'll get stolen by clients since they have full access to it.

So now that we know a little about the MPMissions folder, let's move on to the safer file, dayz_server.pbo

dayz_server.pbo

This is a more safe and secure way to add in Custom addons, Buildings you've placed in the editor are also Custom addons since you can't find them on any other server but yours. 

Its basically the exact same way but just a diffrent folder.

server_functions.sqf

So what you do is unpack your dayz_server.pbo with a unpacking tool, i like to use pbo manager.

Once unpacked, open up the init folder, then open the server_functions.sqf

Scroll all the way down (hint: all the way), and past the same line that you past in the MPMissions folder.

[] execVM "location of your builds\the buildings sqf file name.sqf";

Example mine is in my server folder, i keep it in a Addons folder, then a Buildings folder to keep it all organised and neet. So the path would be: [] execVM "Addons\Buildings\CustomBuildings.sqf"

Questions that might pop in your head;

Whats a path?

A path is kinda like a road for your server to find his a goal/ destonation.

So it opens (follows) diffrent kinds of folders (roads) to get to a certain file (destonation/ goal).

What is server side?

Server side is server only, so this is being executed (run) by the server. Say you add buildings, its being ran by the server and people do not have access to these files.

What is client side?

Client side are your players, they download the MPMissions folder and have full access to this folder. Remember when ever you join a server your downloading the mission file? That's the MPMissions folder you're downloading.

Again, i highly recommend keeping your own scripts/ addons/ buildings/ you name it, to your self. And if you want to hand out buildings/ addons/ scripts/ more, just make a post on the forums about it and release it. There are enough people out there that copy and steal your hard work and call it theirs, and sometimes even get money for it. 

If you have any questions or if you have no more hair to pull out, let me know and ill send you a wig ;)

Regards,

Dutchy

PS: Or you could just send me a PM or reply to this topic :D

z is a prefix defined in a $pboprefix$ file in root of unbinarized PBO files (google for vbawol github for open source).

While the structure might be c:\games\arma2\@myMod\Addons\code.pbo game engine uses its own paths started from your @mod. Video in my sig explains this.

If you are using PBOManager, open up a PBO and click that blue cog wheel icon, you will see what I mean about prefixes

Hello,

Other words, don't worrie about it :P

NOTE: In the * tutorial* i explain 2 ways on how to add the buildings to your server, server side and client side. I reccomend adding them server side.

There are 2 ways of adding buildings to your server, with the MPMissions folder (client side) or with the dayz_server.pbo (server side). People have full access to the MPMissions folder since, when they join your server, they download this folder. People do not have any access to the dayz_server.pbo since its server side only.

Finally, editing :)

So when you don't care if your Buildings get stolen or not, you could use the MPMissions folder, by editing the Init.sqf you can add them to your server.

Init.sqf

The init.sqf is located in your MPMissions folder, in your server's directory. Example; C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\DayZEpochServer\MPMissions\Init.sqf

Every body's path is driffent since every body likes to name their folders something else.

So once you've opend your Init.sqf, scroll all the way down (yes all the way down), and paste the line [] execVM "location of your builds\the buildings sqf file name.sqf";

Example mine is in my server folder, but say it was in my MPMissions foler, i keep it in a Addons folder, then a Buildings folder to keep it all organised and neet. So the path would be: [] execVM "Addons\Buildings\CustomBuildings.sqf"

You've got 2 important files in your server, the dayz_server.pbo and the MPMissions. dayz_server.pbo = server side only and the MPMissions is being downloaded by the client, giving him full access to the file. Putting addons (mods) in your MPMissions gives less stress to your server but when adding custom addons that no other server has, they'll get stolen by clients since they have full access to it.

So now that we know a little about the MPMissions folder, let's move on to the safer file, dayz_server.pbo

dayz_server.pbo

This is a more safe and secure way to add in Custom addons, Buildings you've placed in the editor are also Custom addons since you can't find them on any other server but yours. 

Its basically the exact same way but just a diffrent folder.

server_functions.sqf

So what you do is unpack your dayz_server.pbo with a unpacking tool, i like to use pbo manager.

Once unpacked, open up the init folder, then open the server_functions.sqf

Scroll all the way down (hint: all the way), and past the same line that you past in the MPMissions folder.

[] execVM "location of your builds\the buildings sqf file name.sqf";

Example mine is in my server folder, i keep it in a Addons folder, then a Buildings folder to keep it all organised and neet. So the path would be: [] execVM "Addons\Buildings\CustomBuildings.sqf"

Questions that might pop in your head;

Whats a path?

A path is kinda like a road for your server to find his a goal/ destonation.

So it opens (follows) diffrent kinds of folders (roads) to get to a certain file (destonation/ goal).

What is server side?

Server side is server only, so this is being executed (run) by the server. Say you add buildings, its being ran by the server and people do not have access to these files.

What is client side?

Client side are your players, they download the MPMissions folder and have full access to this folder. Remember when ever you join a server your downloading the mission file? That's the MPMissions folder you're downloading.

Again, i highly recommend keeping your own scripts/ addons/ buildings/ you name it, to your self. And if you want to hand out buildings/ addons/ scripts/ more, just make a post on the forums about it and release it. There are enough people out there that copy and steal your hard work and call it theirs, and sometimes even get money for it. 

If you have any questions or if you have no more hair to pull out, let me know and ill send you a wig ;)

Regards,

Dutchy

PS: Or you could just send me a PM or reply to this topic :D

THANKYOU! that is so so helpful! ill save this info right now. So it does seem i was on the right track but this cleared up and gave me a definte answer and guide to look on

Hello,

Hey no problem man, i was in the same position you were in when i just did my first addon :P

There are tutorials but 9/10 of the guys that make the addons expect you to know the basics, which most of the guys that add the addons to their server, don't know.

And besides, ive got nothing to do :P Again, if you need more help with anything else, let me know ;)

Regards,

Dutchy