App already running

ThatGamer_Bullet

Question

Any ideas as to why I can no longer run a server and log in as a client from the same machine (steam copy of arma2 complete collection) but only once before launching A2OA gives an "app already running" error and refuses to open as long as the server console is running?

The first log-in of a server takes me 10-15 minutes, and I'm getting really tired of restarting the server every time I want to test each scripts installation, especially if I can't confirm success on the first attempt...

9 answers to this question

Had the same problem. Start your client then just leave it open. If you have access to another disk run your server/mysql on there separately from where your client is installed. 

Oh thank you. UGH! I just about tore my hair out this time around having totally forgotten that I was installing everything onto steams installed hard drive this time. That would explain why I didn't have this problem before, I was always using storage drives / partitions. Thank you!! Gonna try it right away, great idea!

Actually I think the issue is that you need to rename your arma2server.exe to something like arma2server_dev.exe  Just had it happen to me again realizing that I have multiple arma2server .exe names don't forget to rename the server in your launcher or bat or whatever you use to launch your dev server also.

Good advice either way. It was a variable I hadn't considered but HAVE had throw a wrench in the machinery as far as launchers were concerned. Install directories and drives I mean.

I haven't tried re-logging yet, been confirming script installation one at a time so I always restart the server anyway. But thanks for returning with the second tip! Once I do that one as well and have finished setup I'll give it a shot and get back to confirm it working for me in case anyone else passes through with the same trouble. Bless Steams little heart.... *sigh*

Well I tried changing the arma2oaserver.exe to "a2oaserver.exe" in filename and its reference in the epoch-starting batch file. It starts up just fine but Steam still recognizes it and doesn't let me open a2oa after the first time.

Perhaps either registry changes or the Steam-Tools Arma2OA:Dedicated Server can be used to distract Steam while I come and go as many times as needed? Just spit ballin here. I'm out of specific ideas

So...many of the official guides for setting things up appear to be out of date (especially considering the new steam multiplayer changes) and when I first go to install a server these days, I know I have to redirect the batch file template to arma2oaserver.exe in the main arma2oa directory instead of down in a beta folder. Could this be part of the problem? I actually haven't even looked inside those folders where it originally was looking, but I know the beta to no longer be relevant with getting the steam overlay to work. Maybe my logic is understood, even if the cleverness was in error.

Well, I've picked up the trail of a way around this...."beta".exes

When I told steam to go ahead and install the 125548 beta (same version as vanilla now) it installed them and now the epoch files work without needing to be reconfigured to load arma2oaserver.exe via the a2oa root directory.

Now, manually trying to open a2oa via the exe files appears to work. A2OA opened up just fine with my mods. (epoch and dayz). But then a second instance of arma tried opening up at the same time without further prompting. This second instance included a console screen that said, among other things, "...from now on, open Arma via Steam."

But the second instance appeared to load up just fine as well. So perhaps maybe opening arma from the executable files themselves will help this. Perhaps using the beta server executable is unecessary, but I was hoping steam would no longer attribute the server being open as me playing arma, that isn't the case and my playtime for arm2oa is now approaching 600 hours... lol >.< bless

EDIT: Sorry for multiposts. I'm kinda just talking to myself. I don't mean to be bumping. Just helpful, if anyone else is as lost as i am.