[How To] Port Forwarding

zeeb

Question

Hello.

This will not be an advanced guide, just a simple guide and explanation that should make you understand how to Port Forward and how it works.

What is Port Forwarding?

Port Forwarding is when you open certain ports in your Router. (broadly speaking, your own internet connection which allows you to connect to others and them to you)

It is needed to sometimes open ports in order for people to join servers that you host, for example a DayZ Epoch Server.

What ports do I need to open?

It all depends on what type of server you want to run since all different game servers or other programs uses different ports, but in this case

we will Port Forward the ports needed to run a DayZ Epoch Server, which are the following ones: 2300, 2301 and 2302.

What is UDP and TCP?

UDP is a one way connection, which means your internet does not wait for a respond before sending another information package, it just continues.

TCP is a two way connection, which means your internet wait for a respond before sending another information package, if one is not recieved it tries again.

Examples: Most FPS games uses UDP, while most RTS games uses TCP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets get back to business.

This picture will simply tell you how it should look like:

port_forwarding.png

The IP adress I use is 192.168.0.7, but that will not be the same for you, if you need to find out what IP you need then run CMD and type ipconfig,

then find the column IPv4 Adress, the IP here is the IP you should use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how my Port Forwarding looks like.

I hope this small guide helped, if you have any questions feel free to ask them in a PM.

Cheers!  :D 

(Actually my first "tutorial")

2 answers to this question