Basic-Advanced FREE (D)DoS Protection?

KillingPigs123

Question

3 answers to this question

What most people do is downloading some piece of software and then believe that software protects them from dos or ddos attacks. Software does not really do anything other than block ports and frequent connections to your server, which you can do through the windows firewall. 

My servers have a mitigation protocoll, however it has not once kicked in and been used in over 4 months.

However, something that does make a dfferance is mitigation and protection services. Basicly what a mitigation service is; it diverts any threatning and over-the-top packages away from the server and offloads them somewhere else. This stops ddos attacks quite effectively. Talk to your server hosting company and as if they have any of these available. If you get your server from a gamehost, chances are they already have a ddos protection set up.

If you have the IPs of the attackers (if you have an apache and mysql server on....check the log files on the ips..i found them there) then you can set up your windows firewall to block those ip.

That stopped my DDOSing....I used this simple cmd command.

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="disallow Hacker IP"

# ignore wrapping, this should all be on one line
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="disallow Hacker IP" action=block enable=yes profile=any localip=any protocol=any dir=in  remoteip=123.249.27.245,198.13.112.250,203.171.236.78,112.253.28.137,192.210.53.57,116.255.187.33,58.253.234.59,172.246.172.6,203.171.226.210,142.4.110.119

You might as well use this ip blocklist as well...its some Chinese and US ips that were doing the attack on my server.

You just add ips to the list and ran this whole thing again and again when you want to update it.

If you fancy a bit of a learning experience then you could take a look at one of the software firewall / router distributions.  Build up a small server (old PC with two network ports or a virtual machine to give some protection.

I have a Cisco RV320 (Small business dual WAN) router but will probably look at something else to help considering the number of over-entitled tantrum queens out there with scripted DDOS programs.   I host a dedicated server (Dell 6100) from home.