Basic Epoch Server Setup

vulcanrvn90

Question

Hey Folks,

I have read many tutorials and watched tons of videos and spent many hours searching through many forums and cant seem to get my private server to work.

The server is a fresh install for the 5th time the problem I'm having is that I cannot connect to my own server it just sits at the wait for host screen and does nothing, on the server client log it just has

BattlEye server updated to version: 164
BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.164)
Host identity created.

Now when someone else in my lan connects it actually gives this information

0:22:18 Player1 uses modified data file
 0:22:18 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Player1 (10.0.23.4:2304) connected
 0:22:18 Player Player1 connecting.
 0:22:18 Mission DayZ Epoch Chernarus read from directory.
 0:22:19 Player Player1 connected (id=236189190).
 0:22:20 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Player1 - GUID: 3830db9e472240412ac226eaaa83c498 (unverified)
 0:22:20 BattlEye Server: Verified GUID (3830db9e472240412ac226eaaa83c498) of player #0 Player1
 0:22:43 BattlEye Server: Update successfully completed. Restarting...
 0:22:43 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.191)
 0:22:43 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Player1 (10.0.23.4:2304) connected
 0:22:43 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Player1 - GUID: 3830db9e472240412ac226eaaa83c498 (unverified)
 0:22:43 Roles assigned.
 0:22:43 Reading mission ...
 0:22:56 Mission read.
 0:23:16 BattlEye Server: IMPORTANT: Server admins now have to convert their BE filter files to a new regex-compatible format and put "//new" into the files' first line. Details: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167504-Regular-Expression-%28Regex%29-Support-for-BE-Filters
 0:23:25 Game started.

I have installed all the visual studio redis's and placed the proper msvcr120.dll file in c:\windows\sysWOW64. 

When another player tries to connect (a player that is not myself) they get all the downloads for the mission file but get stuck on the "Starting Authentication" message which eventually leads into a loop and then they are disconnected.

I've tried chaining mod updates, battleye updates to match the serer to the client and vice versa, I've opened all the necessary ports. But sill cannot get it to work.

Sql seems to be working fine if my friend got as far as he did, I can also connect to it with no issues from both sql workbench and navicat.

I came here in hops of someone being able to assist me this has been bugging me for over a month and I've invested a lot of time to get this working and would sincerely appreciate some help.

Here is my arma2oaserver.RPT file for chernarus http://pastebin.com/XDUuLy0F

Please help 

8 answers to this question

It seems to me like a problem with the database. 

The only thing I can think to recommend is to try using XAMPP for database, and the only reason I recommend that is because that's what I use.

Also triple check your HiveExt.ini for any errors. 

So when player connects on lan, and the game starts up, do you ever get any green text example: HiveExt(0) Result:{....} spamming in the little server window?  If so then it is connecting to the database.  If it can't connect it should spam in orange lettering WARNING: Can't connect to MySQL database.  Tell me if you get any of this action in the little window or if it just stops after game started?

You could also post some files if you want me to double check for you.  HiveExt.ini, Laucher.bat, Config.cfg, any important files that may be modified.

Where is your server installed?  Is it in a custom folder?  Did you copy all the arma 2 and arma 2 OA content into your server files?

Post as much information as you can and this will surely be sorted out.

When a play connects on the LAN there is no green text in the server window, the only information that gets displayed is the information i posted in my first post, it stops after game started and the client gets stuck at Server Authentication. 

My server is installed in a custom folder Z:\Program Files\Dayz Epoch, I copied all the files over in different ways multiple times with fresh builds, usually being arma2>Arma2 OA> Epoch Server files, including the @dayz folder and @dayzepoch.

Everything was copied over to the root directory of the server folder.

Here are the files you asked for, since ive tried changing values, this time i left everything set to default minus the sql authentication information.

HiveEXT http://pastebin.com/N0FUpjKF

Launcher http://pastebin.com/8sk6Mgx2

config.cfg http://pastebin.com/LWUs8YuJ

Again thanks for the help, I look forward to learning as much as possible as to troubleshoot issues down the road by myself.

Ok, so far everything is looking good.  I do not see any obvious mistakes...  it seems like you have a pretty good understanding of how to get it working.

For epoch you actually don't need the @Dayz folder.  The only two mod folders you need are: @DayZ_Epoch and @DayZ_Epoch_Server.   You also need to move the instance_11_Chernarus folder and .bat file from examples to the root of your server.. here's an example of how the root folder should look, take a peak and see if you are missing anything

pic1.png

I'm guessing you already have all that done..  also make sure Xampp is properly, with a green light beside MySQL

pic2.png

Make sure your database is called dayz_epoch (it is case sensitive)

pic3.png

and make sure you have made a user in SQL to connect with that has full privileges:

pic4.png

in my example the user is Dayz_Epoch.  Yours should be dayz because that's how you wrote it on HiveExt.ini

Now for some other things you can do....  

- Open dayz commander, click install/update and check what version of Arma 2 you are running and what version of epoch.  it should be Arma 2 103718 and epoch should be 1.0.4.2.

- Open steam and run arma 2, close it when you get to the main screen.  Do the same for Arma 2 OA.  Basically you have to have run these programs at least once before server will work so if it says "preparing to launch for the first time" then that could be the problem.  Also if you ever change Arma 2 version thru Dayz commander or in any way you need to repeat this step.  And last but not least, if you change your arma 2 version you will want to copy the arma 2 and OA folders into your server again and overwrite the old ones to change the server.  And update your config.cfg with the proper version, etc.

- Try open Config.cfg and change verify signatures to 0.  you could also try changing battleye to 0.  just until you get the server working and then you can turn these back on if you want. 

- Try moving the server out of program files\  try putting it in the root of your harddrive.  Two reasons I suggest this is because sometimes those folders are restricted more then the root and also the space in Program Files name can cause path issues.

-  Try closing and exiting steam completely and then launch the server.  Once the server is up and running, open and reconnect to steam and then open dayz commander.  go to settings and click 'launch with steam' and 'Replace original Arma2OA files with Beta so steam works'.  now go to favourites and add ip: 127.0.0.1 port 2302  and click add.  Your server should appear double click to join.

-  If not click on servers and find a random epoch server that is running 103718/1.0.4.2 and join it.  once you get to the lobby screen click Esc or Back to the main menu and you should see on the right side it says DayzEpoch Arma2 beta expansion Dayz Epoch 1.0.4.2 and at the bottom Version: 1.62.103718  Epoch: 1.0.4.2.   If all that is ok then click on multiplayer, then click on remote, and put IP: 127.0.0.1 port 2302 and click Add.  Your server should appear double click to join.

Let us know how it goes.

I also wanted to meantion that "placed the proper msvcr120.dll file in c:\windows\sysWOW64" is not a necessary step.  I have installed epoch on a fresh install of windows 7 and windows 8 both and you do need "visual studio redis's" I believe you need the 2013 and 2010.  I could be wrong about the exact years. maybe it was 2014 and 2012 or 2011 I really can't remember which ones it was but I know there is at least 2 different years you need to install.  it doesn't matter what order you install them but do make sure that you only use the x86 versions.  the x64 will not work with arma.

You should not manually add or move DLL files.  DLL problems should be fixed with visual studio redis's installers.

Hey Folks,

I have read many tutorials and watched tons of videos and spent many hours searching through many forums and cant seem to get my private server to work.

The server is a fresh install for the 5th time the problem I'm having is that I cannot connect to my own server it just sits at the wait for host screen and does nothing, on the server client log it just has

BattlEye server updated to version: 164
BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.164)
Host identity created.

Now when someone else in my lan connects it actually gives this information

0:22:18 Player1 uses modified data file
 0:22:18 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Player1 (10.0.23.4:2304) connected
 0:22:18 Player Player1 connecting.

From what I see on my server, it is normal that your server sits at "host identity created". That's the standby mode and will stay so until the first player connects after which you'll see what you see - all is good.

I was having similar issues as I was trying to use external (Internet) IP to connect on the server/development machine inside the LAN. I started using localhost:2302 to connect to the server on the local machine and haven't had any issues since. [My friends, via Internet, obviously still use the Internet IP].