Are there any resources to learn how all the pieces go together?

Bob_the_K

Question

I've been brute forcing my way through scripting and for the most part have been able to figure out the actual scripting language.  But what I haven't figured out very well is how the pieces fit and interact together.  I've scoured the BI site, and many other good sites but most only tell what to do, not how it works or why it works the way it does.   As an example, I'm now building a new server from the ground up.  It's Epoch 1.0.5.1, Overwatch 0.2.5, and Origins 1.7.9.5.  I have all the server and client files and bikeys and for the most part, the server works.  But there are a few anomalies that I haven't been able to figure out.  The first is around vehicles: 

If I go in the mission.sqm file, there is an AddOns section and an AddOnsAuto section.  What's the difference?  Why do some entries appear in both, some in one, and some in the other?  What is the purpose of those sections?  And sometimes they are the same name as a .pbo in one of the addons folders and sometime not.  And sometimes even if I have an entry in the list, it tells me it is deleted content so I comment that line out, even though I can plainly see that it is in the addons or .pbo.  Specifically, I'm having difficulty getting the newest Origins vehicles to appear.   It tells me that it's skipping the object because of bad data in the database.  Same result if I just clear the table and let it rebuild.

So vehicles appear in dynamic_vehicle.sqf (in the dayz_server .pbo).  There is an AllowedVehiclesList there.  So why would I be getting vehicles spawning on the map that aren't in the AllowedVehiclesList?  Seems something is overriding it but I have no idea what.  I assume the number after the vehicle is the max number allowable to spawn.

And I have origins_pack_items in my mission.sqm.  While I don't see that in the Origins addons folder, there is an origins_pack.pbo there.  But that isn't it because when I added it, it kept spamming with "Mission Dayz OverPochIns Taviana read from directory".  So what exactly is origins_pack_items?  And how can I figure out why it doesn't work?  With Origins_pack_items in the mission.sqm I get "you cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.origins_pack_items".  I've got my mods right when I  launch from Steam and they also appear to be set right in my server startup. It would appear that something is either missing in one of the .pbos, on an addon folder, or is not being referenced (or referenced incorrectly) due to my lack of understanding.

There are other parts that I don't fully understand the interaction either, but this is a start, and if there are good resources out there that I may have missed, I cam probably figure out the rest.

Thanks.

Bob

Edit - Well, partial success - DayzLauncher would spawn in the new Origins vehicles fine but Steam wouldn't.  Turns out that for Steam, I needed -mod=@DayzOrigins1795 instead of just @DayzOrigins.  So now on to the origins_pack_items issue and to figure out why vehicles just continue to spawn in non-stop.  It's well over the max of 250 I had set - and a lot of them are not  on the allowed vehicles list.  Any ideas?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet