How do you admin your server?

• 3 weeks later...

WEB11 backup/restore is fast & simple m8, do a little research...

except it requires a server restart and if you have multiple servers on the same hive oh well, guess they are both going down regardless of which one got screwed up.

IMO, tools such as infistar are great for catching hackers (most of the time) and letting admins do minor work in game.  However where it really shines, I would guess 99% of the userbase has no idea about.  Custom Script Execution.

I won't go into detail as you can look it up yourself in the code but infistar includes the ability to execute a local script on your client side.  This is incredibly helpful for scripting as you can make your own scroll menu to run your own scripts.  This makes debugging 1000x easier.  

For instance when I was debugging axecop's service point script, I wrote a little script that would return the array of turrets and the weapons of each so I could figure out why driver weapons weren't returning in his script for rearm.  This is all live, so if you save your file, your script is  updated instantly, no need to restart.

I don't think I need to stress the importance of changing code without restarting.

sure you guys can figure out other uses for it too.

Do you mind sharing the Customized version of Blue Phoenix tools?.. we used it before we moved to napf  was a very helpfull admin tool.

Sorry, I just now saw this. There is an updated and tweaked version of these tools in the Server Mods forums called DayZ Epoch Admin Tools that will work for you just fine. My version has a lot of custom stuff specifically designed for our admins' specific needs and is trimmed quite a bit to reduce the mission file footprint.

• 4 weeks later...

What happens happens im not going to interfere with what happens unless a hackers or exploiter is involved i regularly check the DB for Banned guns and gear along with logs

No offense but your servers don't appear to be very populated and so perhaps these issues have never really arose for you yet.

I think the key difference in how different admins run their server, is knowledge. I gotta be honest, Im a total newb with this stuff, I rely on the knowledge of others and I learn as I go. I wasn't expecting to become a server admin, it just sort of fell on my lap and it became something I enjoy.

Now with that said, some of these guys really know their stuff. They can tweak the database in ways I wouldn't even know where to begin. They can write their own scripts or have a general understanding of how to code, etc. So for someone like me, a tool like infiSTAR or bluephoenix is VERY important. It'd be nearly impossible for me to catch cheaters otherwise, and Ive caught dozens and dozens and dozens with these tools.

The problem with the antihack tools like infiSTAR, is they have a lot of fluff and extras that are really unnecessary. These features are easily abused by shitty admins who become just as bad as the cheaters they're trying to prevent from joining their server. So with that, it comes down to the type of person.  The only saving grace is , abusive admins dont' keep many players on their servers, and they'll quickly get bored of running an empty server (usually).

I think the key difference in how different admins run their server, is knowledge. I gotta be honest, Im a total newb with this stuff, I rely on the knowledge of others and I learn as I go. I wasn't expecting to become a server admin, it just sort of fell on my lap and it became something I enjoy.

Now with that said, some of these guys really know their stuff. They can tweak the database in ways I wouldn't even know where to begin. They can write their own scripts or have a general understanding of how to code, etc. So for someone like me, a tool like infiSTAR or bluephoenix is VERY important. It'd be nearly impossible for me to catch cheaters otherwise, and Ive caught dozens and dozens and dozens with these tools.

The problem with the antihack tools like infiSTAR, is they have a lot of fluff and extras that are really unnecessary. These features are easily abused by shitty admins who become just as bad as the cheaters they're trying to prevent from joining their server. So with that, it comes down to the type of person.  The only saving grace is , abusive admins dont' keep many players on their servers, and they'll quickly get bored of running an empty server (usually).

True.