Private Server and Game on same PC?

IM Weazel

Hi all,

I hope, this hasn't been asked too often, but I didn't find any information about this.

1. Is there a FAQ about the mod anywhere? I didn't find one.

2. Is it possible to install a server and run the game on the same PC? Reason is that I prefer to play kind of solo player to learn the game (gathering, looting, crafting etc.), before I join a server. Plus, I'm a coward, and I don't like being shot by other players.

3. If the answer to 2 is No, is there a Mac version, so I can run the server on my MacBook?

4. If the answer to 2 and 3 is No, are there any servers that don't allow PvP? And I don't mean that they don't just ban PvP players, but it's not even possible to hurt/kill other players.

5. What can be set on a Vanilla server? Anything like the amount of loot, zombie density etc.?

That's all questions for now. Thanks for your replies.

1. Google, plenty of wikis and and such

2. Yes I do it all the time on my desktop to test mods and fix scripting bugs before moving the changes to the test server on my dedi box.  I was also able to run server and client on my laptop (has a GTX670 video card) which was great because I could still tinker and play while on vacation (limited internet).

3. no clue

4. I don't think so.  Just play on a PVE server.

5. Google, plenty of wikis and and such

To actually learn the game you really need to interact with experienced players. Folks have joined my server with several months of DayZ and/or DayZ Epoch "experience" but they only know a small amount of how the game works. I suggest finding a whitelist low population PvE/COOP server that has some community, this way you can still go the solo route, aren't forced to join up with others but when you want you can team up you can, and you can benefit from the wealth of knowledge other players have. Posting questions on a forum tends to only get answers to the question as people don't tend to type more than they have to, however, when you are talking to people via TeamSpeak or something similiar you get a lot more information especially when you have some sort of relationship with them.

To actually learn the game you really need to interact with experienced players. Folks have joined my server with several months of DayZ and/or DayZ Epoch "experience" but they only know a small amount of how the game works. I suggest finding a whitelist low population PvE/COOP server that has some community, this way you can still go the solo route, aren't forced to join up with others but when you want you can team up you can, and you can benefit from the wealth of knowledge other players have. Posting questions on a forum tends to only get answers to the question as people don't tend to type more than they have to, however, when you are talking to people via TeamSpeak or something similiar you get a lot more information especially when you have some sort of relationship with them.

I was thinking about that as well, and it looks like I'll give that a try first, as server hosting seems to be some work (a "quick" setup guide on YouTube is about 30 minutes long...)

Does "Whitelist" server means that they need to actively whitelist me, before I can play on their server?

Yes. They would need to add your name and/or GUID to a whitelist. Different servers handle it different ways and would have instructions for their specific way they handle it. On my server a person has to register an account on my website and fill out an application to be added to the whitelist.