Feedback on current state of base building

RAV3N87

Hey guys an girls,

I'll try and not make this a rant but...

The current building system/dynamics needs looking at, ie: snapping is basically broken what's the point when after a restart there ends up being gaps in between walls that people can shoot through,

The cinder garage door has a gap in between the doors that can be shot through

Floors unaligning after restarts

When you move a selected peice after its been placed it should turn back to a ghost panel

There's no way to cancel building once you click build that I can find other than placing the object,

There are others bits and pieces aswell, I'll update when I get home and continue to pain stakingly try to build a base that doesn't look like it was built by kindergartners... But with the current situation I think that may not happen :(

I have to agree that I have noticed these problems since I started playing Epoch, just before the 3.0.1 update (which I guess was 2.5.2). Initially, I thought the problems were on my end, maybe I just wasn't experienced enough and was building wrong or something. Over time as I became more experienced, I continued to notice the problems persist across multiple servers regardless of any mods being used.

Regarding the misalignment of components after server restarts, this is a concern but I can't seem to figure out what's causing it. I'll spend an hour making sure every little wall, floor, etc is perfectly aligned. Yet after a restart or two I can see gaps forming between sections that I am certain were not there before. Floor shift a few inches, and eventually you end up with gaps in the floor sections that cause your character to "get stuck" in between them, almost like you're about to fall through the crack. Walls that were perfectly aligned with no gaps end up shifting slightly, and you eventually notice gaps between wall sections that are several inches wide and enough to not only shoot through, but one time I was even able to access a shelf from outside the building.

I definitely agree with the suggestion that when moving components that have already been placed, they should be reverted back to "ghost mode" while moving them, or else they just bounce into other objects and are difficult to place correctly. There is also a high chance of being killed by bouncing/shifting components because they aren't in ghost mode. Generally, I always have to remove a piece and rebuild it instead of moving it, as moving rarely works well.

And we really do need a way to cancel building. There have been times when I was getting ready to place a wall or set of stairs, and while moving around the ghost version I had a drone overhead or a sapper running at me. Because you can't cancel the build, you have to just quickly place the item wherever and engage those drones or sappers, then remove and rebuild the item again in the proper place. This wastes building materials and creates headaches. There are also times when you simply realize that a component won't work at the time, or that you prefer a different component, where being able to cancel the build would be useful.

I will add that some components are lacking proper options for snap rotation. The stairs for example can only be rotated to snap to 2 opposing directions, not all 4. So it's very difficult at times to place a set of stairs facing the direction you need them to, and you must stand at a 90-degree facing from before in order to get the proper snap position. For example, when placing the stairs in snap mode, they'll initially snap to a 0-degree heading. Pressing the "snap type" (3) key, the stairs rotate from 0 to 180, then 180 to 0, and repeats the cycle. It should be rotating between 0/90/180/270 instead.

I am also having issues building components outside of snap mode. If I want to place a wall section next to the edge of a floor but not aligned with the floor, the wall keeps snapping to the floor edge no matter which option I use. For example, because we don't have low cinder walls, I have had to rely on placing a standard cinder wall lowered about half-way in order to be able to deploy your weapon on top of it. But if I get too close to the edge of a floor, it snaps right to the edge at default height, and I end up having to place the lowered wall a few feet from the edge of the floor in order to prevent it from getting snapped into place. Trying to use free mode isn't working, and I can't recall it ever working.

I have to agree that I have noticed these problems since I started playing Epoch, just before the 3.0.1 update (which I guess was 2.5.2). Initially, I thought the problems were on my end, maybe I just wasn't experienced enough and was building wrong or something. Over time as I became more experienced, I continued to notice the problems persist across multiple servers regardless of any mods being used.

Regarding the misalignment of components after server restarts, this is a concern but I can't seem to figure out what's causing it. I'll spend an hour making sure every little wall, floor, etc is perfectly aligned. Yet after a restart or two I can see gaps forming between sections that I am certain were not there before. Floor shift a few inches, and eventually you end up with gaps in the floor sections that cause your character to "get stuck" in between them, almost like you're about to fall through the crack. Walls that were perfectly aligned with no gaps end up shifting slightly, and you eventually notice gaps between wall sections that are several inches wide and enough to not only shoot through, but one time I was even able to access a shelf from outside the building.

I definitely agree with the suggestion that when moving components that have already been placed, they should be reverted back to "ghost mode" while moving them, or else they just bounce into other objects and are difficult to place correctly. There is also a high chance of being killed by bouncing/shifting components because they aren't in ghost mode. Generally, I always have to remove a piece and rebuild it instead of moving it, as moving rarely works well.

And we really do need a way to cancel building. There have been times when I was getting ready to place a wall or set of stairs, and while moving around the ghost version I had a drone overhead or a sapper running at me. Because you can't cancel the build, you have to just quickly place the item wherever and engage those drones or sappers, then remove and rebuild the item again in the proper place. This wastes building materials and creates headaches. There are also times when you simply realize that a component won't work at the time, or that you prefer a different component, where being able to cancel the build would be useful.

I will add that some components are lacking proper options for snap rotation. The stairs for example can only be rotated to snap to 2 opposing directions, not all 4. So it's very difficult at times to place a set of stairs facing the direction you need them to, and you must stand at a 90-degree facing from before in order to get the proper snap position. For example, when placing the stairs in snap mode, they'll initially snap to a 0-degree heading. Pressing the "snap type" (3) key, the stairs rotate from 0 to 180, then 180 to 0, and repeats the cycle. It should be rotating between 0/90/180/270 instead.

I am also having issues building components outside of snap mode. If I want to place a wall section next to the edge of a floor but not aligned with the floor, the wall keeps snapping to the floor edge no matter which option I use. For example, because we don't have low cinder walls, I have had to rely on placing a standard cinder wall lowered about half-way in order to be able to deploy your weapon on top of it. But if I get too close to the edge of a floor, it snaps right to the edge at default height, and I end up having to place the lowered wall a few feet from the edge of the floor in order to prevent it from getting snapped into place. Trying to use free mode isn't working, and I can't recall it ever working.

Yeah what he said!

• 2 weeks later...