[Feedback] Anti-camping fix

knights†emplar

Surely this isn't helping players against campers, because that same player is going to be a victim of this when he/she is somewhere remote trying build a base, but instead having to fight off threats and possibly the same camper that would normally be camping is now attracted to the noise and explosions sounds of those antagonists.

It's super annoying because the building system is super slow at this stage and super hazardous as it is !

Some might say this is part of the game, well so is camping!!

You should expect danger in dangerous places and peace and the enjoyment of other other features of this game else where.

I think when players complained about there not being enough threat, it was because the antagonist were not serving that purpose by design, we thought you would take the feedback forward in your future agnostic designs and the last thing we expected is a cheeky attempt to fix this issue by spawning more of them! :-)

I see it like this:

Allow campers be = lose some gear - possibly 2 to 4 days worth at most

Introduce the anti camper fix = potentially lose all your hard earned gear while building your base - all your hard earned loot that is. 

Get my point?

I think the only place there should be a no camping rule is within 500m of any spawn area.  Outside of that I say let people play how they want.  There's all kinds of legitimate scenarios I can think of where camping is legit.  Like waiting for a player or group to come through a particular area and spring the trap you've set.  Maybe that player or players will be through that area in 10 minutes, or maybe an hour, meaning that the attacking player has to be stationary for quite some time.  If the player who is laying in wait has to pop up every 5 minutes to kill a sapper or shoot down a drone, that seriously ruins the element of surprise.  This is only 1 of a ton of different scenarios where camping is desirable.  

Yeah, awol said yesterday that they're working on a fix. Like rogue said, around traders, sure. Elsewhere, you're just ruining gameplay.

At the same time, shouldn't be sicing ants on people in protected traders where they can't protect themselves lol.

The 'anti camping' is very much a test for future feature. Am working on the sapper to make it a little easier to lose. I don't want to break the ability to use him as a weapon as any gaming of the antagonists is interesting. There will be a balanced update on his behaviour in the next patch. Basically, I want to make it possible to lose him by running away, for some time. Less likely to charge you if out of immediate sight, and still keep the ability to lure him around the map but not track you over vast distances, I think this will help with performance too.

We are providing PVE and PVP, balancing the sapper for both is very much a juggling act, fed by your feedback, thanks for that feedback :)

I don't mind the current behavior of the sapper, per say, but the walking right through Epoch buildables can be a little...discouraging. :ph34r:

ETA: I see that as a glitch that will be addressed, not a permanent feature.

Well I mean zombies in dayz epoch walked right through anything you put down.

It would be cool if there was some kind of detterent that kept an ant like the Sapper away. Some substance that you could put down or wear on yourself that would tell the ant to stay out of a set radius.

Also, do Sappers and Drones change targets if there are more than one player around? I haven't noticed this happen. If not, can this be possible?

You mean allow the exclusion / inclusion of our antagonists? Which ones would you prefer to remove, or are you asking for our building system without the rest of the mod? 

I would personally prefer the rate they spawn at before the introduction of what some call "anti-camping" or "anti-building", I have had three drones spawn above my head killed them all only to have three more.

I personally find the sappers easy to deal with, its just having Drones after drones that bring deadly accurate AI with them! they no longer a threat they are immediate danger.

That is a great question, If epoch was made up of different addons, so far my wish list would be this:

Must have Addons

1. Building system.

2. Hunger, thirst, Temp, etc.. 

3. Traders

4. Bank system.

5. Cultis

6. Phantom

Addons I would like to see re-worked or removed:

1. Energy, how it stores how it works for building or placing a lockbox down - I rather this was replaced with stamina or stamina and energy if energy was to charge building devices such us introducing power drills or electric chain saws!

2. Multi gun, remove all attachments and the ability to fix vehicles by shooting at it, reviving and healing players too. A better use for it would be a power drill for building as above.

3. Sappers - I dont want to see them go completely but I wont miss them if they did, however changing the rate they spawn at would help, I like them when there is a clan war going on and they explode or make you change position when you PvP situation. Rather than have them spawn when a player is in an area for too long; maybe it will be best if they were to spawn in an area where there are 3 or more players, that should also help with server FPS issue I think!

4. Lock and Unlock - I hate how you can lock and unlock doors and vehicles magically to a group. I would love to see keys, and combo codes, if that's too old then eye scan/finger print tech with owner admin access to add and remove players, currently you cant build rooms or lockboxes without giving all your group members access to it.

5. More creepy dark and mythical antagonists - something on the lines of Cultis and phantom. Demons? feels like more of a fit to a previous world that was infected with zombies , the antagonists currently lack a link , a story that connects them all.

Summary

I would like to see more survival vs futuristic epoch, I want to tell a story of a player who survived as a human against all the odds and against other none human like creatures and world events.

The year may be 2035 but doesn't mean the world evolved with technology, in fact it went backwards, the world was hit by massive zombie infection putting a stop on any high tech development and instead carry on surviving with primitive tools and means. More survival crafting and building, better lock and unlock system, more logical way to use energy, remove vehicle repair, heal and revive and introduce another logical way, multigun can be used for building instead.  all this would go a long way to make this game awesome!

Being on this forums for quite sometime, Its not hard to see that majority of complaints are to do with the sapper and drones, once this is fixed we hope a shift in development towards more of the above and less on antagonists at this stage and you will soon see the positive comments coming in, the average epoch player likes the looting and crafting side of things, I have a feeling that 0.4 will kick start this and the positive comments will come flying in. 

You mean allow the exclusion / inclusion of our antagonists? Which ones would you prefer to remove, or are you asking for our building system without the rest of the mod? 

Don't want to remove any in general, just a switch to control them for server performance whilest you continue to create the mod :)

4. Lock and Unlock - I hate how you can lock and unlock doors and vehicles magically to a group. I would love to see keys, and combo codes, if that's too old then eye scan/finger print tech with owner admin access to add and remove players, currently you cant build rooms or lockboxes without giving all your group members access to it.

I have to ask, if you don't trust the people in your group, why are you grouped with them?

An option which would allow both choices would be to have a further upgrade to a lockable door which makes it so only the owner can operate it. 

I have to ask, if you don't trust the people in your group, why are you grouped with them?

An option which would allow both choices would be to have a further upgrade to a lockable door which makes it so only the owner can operate it. 

Its not about trust them or not, its about creating something better than a2 epoch, if you wanted create a room that was only yours or wanted your own lock box while under the same roof as your group you could do this easy with A2 epoch!

You are missing the point here, we are talking about the the logic behind how those lock and unlock to group members, its seems it happens by magic vs realism (i.e keys , code combinations etc) 

Addressing antagonists walking through base parts is going to be tricky. There is an option to 'move' them to the server temporarily.

There will definitely be some server / client ownership management coming up, if not just to stop the logging to avoid antagonists.

Would rather get the antagonists to a balance first so there is a means of escape. Currently working on the sapper so his player stalking is more scent based, if you run some distance at speed he will lose your scent and go into a roaming mode. Also reducing, by quite an amount, the distance at which he will track and stay in game.

The realism comes from the implant given at the birth of your clone. This allows messages to be fed to your visual cortex, amongst other things. Group management being one of them.

That said, there will be enhancements to the various game play mechanics and story line, is still early days and we are very much still working on the base mechanics for the game.

Its not about trust them or not, its about creating something better than a2 epoch, if you wanted create a room that was only yours or wanted your own lock box while under the same roof as your group you could do this easy with A2 epoch!

You are missing the point here, we are talking about the the logic behind how those lock and unlock to group members, its seems it happens by magic vs realism (i.e keys , code combinations etc) 

Who said it's magic? The doors could be activated by retinal scans or fingerprint readers. Adding keys and codes people need to remember would be a real step backwards in my opinion.

That can be done within epochconfig.hpp on the server.

This isn't designed as an anti-camper measure, it just happens that static players might get antagonists spawning on them, same as looting players might get an antagonist spawn on them.

Thanks for the feedback.

That can be done within epochconfig.hpp on the server.

This isn't designed as an anti-camper measure, it just happens that static players might get antagonists spawning on them, same as looting players might get an antagonist spawn on them.

Thanks for the feedback.