Epoch Sauerland battleye

Franky

Hi there people. New to the forum and my first post. Anyhow... I have a Sauerland Epoch server and all running fine with only around 10 or so players since I opened it last week. I am seeing players trying to log in all the time but disconnect upon trying to join. What happens is... the first time anyone joins... arma will close to the desktop... then a command prompt will appear saying battleye is updating. After its updated arma opens again and takes you to the lobby. Problem is.... most people trying to join have no idea that battleye is even updating and just shut down arma. Since steam took over and you can now only play dayz by connecting to steam... I thought the same thing when I tried to join an epoch server. I joined but then a command prompt would pop up and I didnt even read it. I just thought there was something wrong so I shut the game down and moved on. Until I realized it was a battleye update for that server. I just don't undersatnd why... when people try joining my server for the first time... why battleye has to update in this way. As a result.. im missing out on new players all the time. Does this happen to anyone else?  And is it all epoch servers or just Sauerland that this happens to?

Frank

Basically, it's BattleEye being smart about how they do things. Check this for some quick info on what they did -http://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=869986

Every server that runs BattleEye's service and every client connecting must go through this. People are just in too much of a hurry these days and they don't see what's right in front of their face, namely the BattleEye update message.

Thanks CodlAsis. Much appreciate the info. Though... Im wondering if this new way of battleye updating happens to all epoch servers on all maps? And is it for all mods? Cause I see a handfull of epoch servers and overpoch servers that have lots of players. I ran 2 servers over a year ago..  with both servers full on weekends. 1 vanilla and 1 epoch and a deticated facebook page for them. Gained around 150 player base. For the ones who joined the page. Because people wanted the servers back up by popular demand... i decided to open one. But unfortunatley yeh... i guess people are just too keen to join servers and miss reading the command prompt window that tells them battleye is updating.

I understand its a good thing that battleye is combating hackers.... but in the manner it's updated... most people are just turning away from joining dayz servers. Or at least my server.

Regards

Frank

Yes, it happens to all servers and mods that are running BattleEye. It's a double-edged sword, harder for the hackers but also not very convenient, especially for inpatient players. After time people will become used to how the new BattleEye system works and they'll stop quitting servers when it updates. Until then, you just gotta try spread a bit of knowledge to players about what is actually going on with BattleEye.

Yes I think it will just take time before players catch on. For the meantime... I disable battleye when im on and monitoring the server and as new players join.. i pay them a short visit and inform them of how battleye updates upon first entering the server when I enable battleye. So when I enable battleye they know whats going on. Its risky when disabled... but i cant find any other way of letting players know. Seems to to the trick.

Frank