Updating to Overpoch- Trying to Keep My Sanity

Diesel Weasel

Question

We use Vert and we recently decided to update to the new version of Epoch. Right before we shut down several players expressed their interest into changing to Overpoch and we checked it out and were very happy with it. We had Vert reinstall our service so we could start fresh. I popped Epoch back on and tried to check that everything was working alright when I found our server was no longer listed on Commander. I couldn't log into the server either and Vert reinstalled the service again. I talked with several of our players and after QUITE a few hours and doing everything we could think of we were finally able to get into the server. The downside of this is it takes quite some time to do and the average player is not going to sit around for an hour when there are so many servers available that work with one click. We'd also have to say goodbye to all new players as well. I expressed this to Vert and someone new took a look at the server and realized the steamport was set to 0. They changed it and stated the server should show up on the launchers now. No luck. Here's my current issues:

How do I find my steamport? From what I have read it's supposed to be -2 from the server's port? And the steamQueryPort is -1? Vert had ours set to +2 and +1. I changed them to - and it's still not showing up on the launchers. 

Where do I find the server startup parameters?! I feel like I have been through EVERY file in the server and I can't find ANYTHING about this! I've been installing Overpoch and have everything else pretty much down pat but I can't figure out where to add the @Overwatch bit to! I've joined an Overpoch server before so I know I have to add it to my personal launch parameter, but for the life of me I can't figure out what file I need to edit for this. Everyone writes the instructions as if it is super obvious, but I've never touched that before. 

I've wasted two days that I had planned spending on script work. It's been so frustrating and I really don't know where else to turn. In 2 years of running this server I've NEVER had anything like this happen before.

7 answers to this question

How do I find my steamport? From what I have read it's supposed to be -2 from the server's port? And the steamQueryPort is -1? Vert had ours set to +2 and +1. I changed them to - and it's still not showing up on the launchers. 

They have it set right, it should be +1 and +2.

Where do I find the server startup parameters?! I feel like I have been through EVERY file in the server and I can't find ANYTHING about this! I've been installing Overpoch and have everything else pretty much down pat but I can't figure out where to add the @Overwatch bit to! I've joined an Overpoch server before so I know I have to add it to my personal launch parameter, but for the life of me I can't figure out what file I need to edit for this. Everyone writes the instructions as if it is super obvious, but I've never touched that before. 

How on earth have you run a server for 2 years and not know this lol, Usually the startup parameters are in the .bat file in the root folder, but I don't use Vert so I don't know if you have access to that, anyhow it should look something like this:

start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 "-config=instance_24_Napf\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_24_Napf\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_24_Napf" -name=instance_24_Napf "-mod=@Overwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

Thank you. Everything I've read said it was -1 and -2. It's been so confusing... I saved the original file just in case.

And I just have never had to deal with the startup parameters before. We started with .st and got sick of the DDOSing every 5 minutes so we moved to Vilayer. They were extremely rude to us and provided no help when their machine broke down on us for a month. They expected us to keep paying even though we weren't receiving any service and I was in their TS daily. We got fed up when they refused to switch us to a new machine and moved to Vert who we have been with for over a year with no issues. We switched to Epoch shortly before joining Vert and have always used the host's install functions. My boyfriend and I co-own the server, he does most of the in-game stuff while I do the script work. I've had to learn on the fly. He's hoping to build a dedibox in the coming months so we can host from home, oh joy. I'm trying to learn everything I can about running a server myself. The extent of my previous coding skills covered MySpace profiles in middle school. Going from that to nothing for 6 years to suddenly this has been a huge leap for me. Thank you for replying and letting me know. I'm going to go look for the file now.

Lol, that explains a lot, I had a vilayer server for a month a while back, after which I filed bad reviews on every review site I could  :rolleyes: I would recommend moving to a dedicated server asap, you just don't get the full flexibility that you need to have with these prepackaged host options (ie, the startup .bat) 

For Vert, you should have a Command Line option in the Control Panel, that lets you select between a long range of various startup options, plus the ability to define one yourself.

Just enter "@Overwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;" in the mod input field, name it Overpoch and there you go - server will start up as Overpoch.