Why are there still some servers on DAYZ Commander

roachyuk

Yes the response you are referring to by awol was a direct response to me in my own thread but that was weeks ago now, since then awol has been showing support for playwithsix. I agree the masses are beyond stupid and ignore admin chat but if the BE shutdown happens before DZC updates players wont have a choice but to switch to something else or not play dayz mod. Also dotjosh has spent 66 hours playing DOTA 2 in the last 2 weeks....without giving anyone any information about the update....If that doesn't tell you an update isn't coming I don't know what will. Now don't get me wrong I loved DZC but if it's creator is willing to just say fuck off like this without even giving the community an official response about it or at least releasing it as open source if hes gonna call it quits so someone else can take over, imo he can go fuck himself.

Firstly, I'm sounding like a broken record here... #1 rule of programming/server admin/IT.  Never trust the users.  Its not the users faults for failing to comprehend a complicated system such as installing mods in arma2.  Dotjosh did a ton of work for the community making this process super simple and most likely got jack in return for it.  If it wasn't for him, hardly anyone would be playing dayz mods.

Lets not forget our alternative, playwith6 which is un-intuitive and not user friendly at all.

dotjosh has done a shitload for the community which he never had to do at all.  So I think he at least deserves a tiny bit of respect for that.

Secondly, gamespy was supposed to shut down 16 days ago... that never happened. So why would he update his program if it is still working perfectly fine.

Finally, if you don't like the launcher or dotjosh, then roll your own damn launcher.  If you can't then learn how and do it, if you just don't want to then shut up and quit complaining.

DayzLauncher far surpasses DayZ Commander in every way other than popularity. That's the alternative right there, try it out for yourself. I agree he deserves respect for what he did in the past but just leaving everyone hanging like this is a little ridiculous, is it not? How hard is it to release a statement to stop all of these threads in their tracks? At the end of the day if you had made a program that millions of people have used and many still use would you personally ever let the community hang in the balance like this while servers are going down left and right without so much as an official response of any kind?

EDIT- To be clear I don't care if Dotjosh updates or doesn't, what makes me angry is the fact that because he can't be bothered to release an official statement one way or the other is the reason why the community is getting decimated right now. If he came out right now and said I'm done with DayZ Commander all the server hosts would update, and we could start pushing a new launcher (Dayz Launcher). If he came out and said "Hey guys I'm still here will be updating soon" then most of these threads would go away. But the point is no matter what he says, as long as he says SOMETHING we can all start planning for the future instead of just sitting here with our thumbs lodged waiting for BE or Gamespy to shutdown.

DayzLauncher far surpasses DayZ Commander in every way other than popularity. That's the alternative right there, try it out for yourself. I agree he deserves respect for what he did in the past but just leaving everyone hanging like this is a little ridiculous, is it not? How hard is it to release a statement to stop all of these threads in their tracks?

Not entirely true. I like the DZC interface but thats just a design thing. The big thing I'm missing the ability to update your game through the launcher (I'm not even sure this would be possible since it works through steam now). But if that could be added I would definitly update my server and start advertising the launcher. And it's indeed very sad dotjosh is letting us down this way. 

The arma versions part was nice but isn't relevant currently with only 1 version being usable in the near future, but there is a suggestions page on Dayzlaunchers forum and every single suggestion put in there so far has already made it into the live launcher. I'm sure if someone adds that to the suggestions it will be implemented in no time.

DayzLauncher far surpasses DayZ Commander in every way other than popularity. That's the alternative right there, try it out for yourself. I agree he deserves respect for what he did in the past but just leaving everyone hanging like this is a little ridiculous, is it not? How hard is it to release a statement to stop all of these threads in their tracks? At the end of the day if you had made a program that millions of people have used and many still use would you personally ever let the community hang in the balance like this while servers are going down left and right without so much as an official response of any kind?

EDIT- To be clear I don't care if Dotjosh updates or doesn't, what makes me angry is the fact that because he can't be bothered to release an official statement one way or the other is the reason why the community is getting decimated right now. If he came out right now and said I'm done with DayZ Commander all the server hosts would update, and we could start pushing a new launcher (Dayz Launcher). If he came out and said "Hey guys I'm still here will be updating soon" then most of these threads would go away. But the point is no matter what he says, as long as he says SOMETHING we can all start planning for the future instead of just sitting here with our thumbs lodged waiting for BE or Gamespy to shutdown.

if DayZLauncher far surpasses DayZ Commander why are you even bothering to type out long winded forum posts complaining about it.  Just use the launcher you like and stop making a big deal about it.

For the rest of us, we're going to keep running our servers through gamespy until it shuts down.  I got nothing to lose with the huge influx of players who are sitting on the old version.  Players are still having a good time and they are able to see my servers as well as lots of other hosts who are running just fine.

If you can't get pop with the steam update, then roll back your server and get in on the action.

Why does DayZ Launcher, never find the Epoch mod, forcing it to redownload it. Ends up being a different folder in your Arma OA as it includes the version number of epoch on the end, where as normally you'd just have @DayZ_Epoch.. had a few issues with players using this mod joining our server as my server runs the normal @DayZ_Epoch spelling, where the launcher downloads technically a different mod as far as the game sees it.. I changed the names on the server and those that use the launcher were connecting fine, but I dont see why I should change the server to fit the launcher, where as others just use the .bats floating around or the browser itself. Has this been fixed on later versions and I have just missed it?

Those folders are just named however the person who made the launchers set them up, as long as they have the 1.0.5.1 files they should be able to rename their folders to match the launcher and it should detect them. For DayZ Launcher just match whatever it says under folder name.

Yea thinking about it, it would require a new 2.7 gig download for every patch instead of just replacing the needed existing files. Probably would be best to just keep it the default names so people who manual install from the torrents would just have it auto detect.

Because it's looking for @DayZ_Epoch1051 instead of @DayZ_Epoch. Maca did it for versioning, which I think was a bad approach.

Yeah thats what I meant.. If the idea was to create an easy to use launcher instead of having people find it complicated with doing it all manually.. that part was certainly a mistake. Is that even documentated anywhere that people need to do that? I get thats what needs to be done, but does it even say anywhere that, you need to do this.

Well you don't HAVE to do it, you can just download the new named one through the launcher and it will work just fine. The only problem with that is you have an extra 2.7 gigs of epoch on your system which for people with limited space on SSDs could be problematic.

Not entirely true. I like the DZC interface but thats just a design thing. The big thing I'm missing the ability to update your game through the launcher (I'm not even sure this would be possible since it works through steam now). But if that could be added I would definitly update my server and start advertising the launcher. And it's indeed very sad dotjosh is letting us down this way. 

There's no need to manually update your Arma 2 version anymore. The current stable release automatically updates on Steam. There's no more need to opt into the beta either. Server admins can run any version after 112555 and clients on the current stable release can play on it.

Why does DayZ Launcher, never find the Epoch mod, forcing it to redownload it. Ends up being a different folder in your Arma OA as it includes the version number of epoch on the end, where as normally you'd just have @DayZ_Epoch.. had a few issues with players using this mod joining our server as my server runs the normal @DayZ_Epoch spelling, where the launcher downloads technically a different mod as far as the game sees it.. I changed the names on the server and those that use the launcher were connecting fine, but I dont see why I should change the server to fit the launcher, where as others just use the .bats floating around or the browser itself. Has this been fixed on later versions and I have just missed it?

I asked about this on their forum and the answer is so you can play multiple versions of a mod. Seems like a stupid idea to me.

I asked about this on their forum and the answer is so you can play multiple versions of a mod. Seems like a stupid idea to me.

The idea is actually not bad. Players tend to play on multiple servers and not all server owners update at the same time. I do however agree it would be nice if it automatically detects (and renames) installed mods.

Another thing is, anyone in this thread most likely has dedicated servers so we have the ability to not update. What about the other 80% of the community running through hosted servers that don't have the luxury to just wait it out.

Multiple options:

1. Live with it since no one here wants or can change your situation.
  2. Get rid of your server and get a dedi box. You will learn something from it. Fuck man, learn something everyday. Why not starting with that one.
  3. Get a GSP who allows you to choose your version. I assume 80% of your 80% can do this.
  4. Look at the thousand half empty Epoch server, think about it and close yours for the greater good of the community. I rather have 100 filled server than 1000 with 20 people on it. That is what's tearing this community apart and not a beta patch version.
  5. Stay calm, take the time to learn sqf-scripting and do a script no one has. A feature everyone wants to try and as soon as the majority of the player switch over to Steam, they will swarm your server just to have this feature. I could think of plenty of them.

But no matter what you do, please stop running in circles. Cause this thread is about nothing else than running in circles. Everything that could have been said, has been said. Be patient and wait until 1.0.5.2 gets released, DZC gets updated or we hear anything from the author or another launcher option becomes more prominent.

how about we just close both topics and be done with it.

this! so badly!

A single sentence from any official source could stop all of these threads in their tracks. Also if this is all you have to say over and over again why are you still reading these threads?

PS - I run a dedi already on 1.62 but am waiting to see the impending BE or gamespy shutdown that's not gonna allow us to just sit around and wait anymore, that's why I'm trying to get out ahead of this instead of just waiting to get fucked.