[WIP] DZHC - Extendable DayZ Headless Client Framework

(GSG) Az

I don't like to sound negative~ but from the 1st page and reading the describtion I thought "impossible sort of" ..

And from what I see here, there was no progress with any piece of a proove-of-concept~

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but first thing I get in mind is "got trolled"~ it just sounded too good to be true.

Ill update the git with complete working code. I had issues with WAI's server side code converting it across to HC side with PV's for the vehicle saving. I got stuck on this and didnt really progress much further. The issue I was having was the HC would spam PV's until it lagged out and dropped. A nasty side effect. 

The base code works flawlessly though. I was going to do a complete rewrite and account for some other factors I didnt consider but I havent as of yet. I will release this AS IS for the time being - It supports most of the basic features already. Zombie spawning was another difficulty I had, but it was more the time I had dedicated to it - I simply need to put more effort in. 

Ill update this thread when the git has been updated with the new code (the code on the git is VERY old). 

Ill update the git with complete working code. I had issues with WAI's server side code converting it across to HC side with PV's for the vehicle saving. I got stuck on this and didnt really progress much further. The issue I was having was the HC would spam PV's until it lagged out and dropped. A nasty side effect. 

The base code works flawlessly though. I was going to do a complete rewrite and account for some other factors I didnt consider but I havent as of yet. I will release this AS IS for the time being - It supports most of the basic features already. Zombie spawning was another difficulty I had, but it was more the time I had dedicated to it - I simply need to put more effort in. 

Ill update this thread when the git has been updated with the new code (the code on the git is VERY old). 

Sounds good! Let me know when I can fork :D

• 1 month later...

Really don't understand why you and the handful of other people working on headless clients don't all just work together? So much more work could be achieved and bug fixes wouldn't be a problem then really. Please take this into consideration and reach out to all the others working on the same project would make so much more sense and we all would probably have a seamless headless client now. Either way appreciate what you and the rest of the guys have done keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...

You still can come up with your own solution. It is possible and a lot of people made it work. It's not even that hard, but from what I experienced, its not the golden bullet. It will probably not fix your performance issues or it will trade them in for more dsync. Could also be that I did something wrong.

Anyway, are there still non CCG servers out with a good playerbase?

You still can come up with your own solution. It is possible and a lot of people made it work. It's not even that hard, but from what I experienced, its not the golden bullet. It will probably not fix your performance issues or it will trade them in for more dsync. Could also be that I did something wrong.

headless client makes a huge difference when running AI.  Its 2-fold.

1. Strain on the server is much less, so you can run AI with lots of players and still have reasonable server FPS. (the AI will have some effect on the server, as they need to be tracked etc.. but its is drastically reduced)

2. The AI are as responsive with 50 players on the server as with 1.  None of this "frozen AI" behaviour you get when running server side with more than a handful of players.

In terms of using it for zombie and loot spawns I am more sceptical.  In fact, I think the zombie offload could have a net worse effect, depending on how you do it.  Loots spawns I'm not sure of, but I was never convinced by the effort:reward proposition to even try.

With AI though, HC is a game changer.

Also, it is actually quite tricky, or everyone would be doing it.  Yeah standing something up to get some units controlled by the HC is simple, but getting a complete mission system to work with all features, reliably, covering all/most scenarios requires a fair amount of work and understanding of locality.

True that, but it introduces a lot of other problems like dsync. Played on you server 4 months ago or so. You should know what I am talking about. We left cause of the dsync. The settings where fine, looting was fast, you know, nothing of the normal problems you have to deal with, but air battles and so on where pointless. Dsyncing all over the place. Noticed that on a lot of HC servers. I guess hoster like the extra calculation power they have but underestimate the effect on bandwith if they put to much code in that needs to replicate.

Anyway, digging in to it is fun. So go for it!

True that, but it introduces a lot of other problems like dsync. Played on you server 4 months ago or so. You should know what I am talking about. We left cause of the dsync. The settings where fine, looting was fast, you know, nothing of the normal problems you have to deal with, but air battles and so on where pointless. Dsyncing all over the place. Noticed that on a lot of HC servers. I guess hoster like the extra calculation power they have but underestimate the effect on bandwith if they put to much code in that needs to replicate.

Anyway, digging in to it is fun. So go for it!

Yeah I do remember.

Anyway, I revamped the whole system about a month ago (in-line with my post above) and haven't had any desync reported.  You are welcome to come and take a look.  Warning though, I do have a number of annoyances/bugs on the server now as I just don't have time do even simple fixes right now.  But you should be able to ascertain the performance aspects of the HC.  Its running Wicked AI 2.1.x and animated chopper crashes on the HC so most of the time there is around 50 AI units running around.

Thinking back, I think I know the time you were talking about.  Back when the server was regularly capped we were the subject of a number of DDOS attacks the symptom of which is massive desync (you basically get alomst zero bandwidth to the server).  I think you have (understandably) put 2 and 2 together but got 22  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've been reading all the HC threads I can find and this variant seems the most viable.  But I cannot find the GITHUB link.  The first post has a "coming soon" placeholder, but no link.  Did I miss it somewhere?  Doing a Google search, I find https://github.com/azmodii/DZHC, but that one hasn't been updated in eight months.  Is that the right link?  Based on this discussion, I was under the impression that there is a much more recent version out there somewhere.

Thanks,

Bob 

• 2 months later...